Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sound Limiters

If more venues installed these (AVC, the units with the green LED), it wouldn't be a problem.

Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Would it not be possible, just for once, to post a new topic or a reply to a topic that DOESN'T contain a video or link?
    It's really not needed
    Sometimes I do. But the images are interesting, informative and fun. A picture speaks a thousand words.

Zog.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    If more venues installed these (AVC, the units with the green LED), it wouldn't be a problem.
    Indeed, and those lovely Sound Ceilings, which we all love working with. One I had the pleasure of using had such a feature installed. The client asked if I could turn it up more, and I told yes, but the system was fighting back, and wouldn't let me have any increase.

( Older readers may note that I used Steve's smiley to reply to him. A nice touch I thought).

OK, our younger readers may not know that Steve is now " poacher turned gamekeeper ", as many of his venues will not let anyone play there without going through his box of tricks. He distinguished himself so much at one venue by simply following the rules that he is now the Special One.

Seriously, we are all going to have to get used to working with limiters/sound ceilings/noise meters and limits. I think I remember one limiter Rob worked with was a dear old lady in the corner, who was the final arbiter of suitable noise levels!

Anyone who comes up with the time honoured suggestion of " use a long extension lead to find a clean socket " is in fact cutting their own throat. Venues will either close, or ban DJs and bands.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Yes. Do it with your pc several times and see what happens.
    If my P.C. suffers a mains power cut its internal battery powers it up seamlessly with no problems. Just like a U.P.S.

Zog.
    Last edited by Marc J; 04-10-2023 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Sorry Zog, but your posts are now adding even less to topics than when you were only posting seemingly random links and resurrecting old threads. Who knew that was even possible?

You have been placed in the "Sin Bin" as a temporary measure. While there, your posts have to be approved by a moderator before they are published. If they are deemed not to add anything constructive, they won't be approved.

Oh ek, up before the head eh? Book in trousers time I think.

Zog.

This Saturday I'm playing a party at a hall venue. Expecting about 100 people.

When I did a site visit I decided I would need my DXR12s over 15" subs.

I have just been told the sound limiter is set at 90db.

Is that workable?

Should I down scale to a pair of Maui 5's?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudswiper View Post

Is that workable?

Depends on where the sound limiter is, what it's measuring (bass, treble, pins dropping) and the acoustics of the room when it comes to limiters.

Yes, it's workable. Just trim your output so that it doesn't trip the limiter (especially the bass frequencies). It might sound quiet - there's nothing you can do about that.

As for Maui5's - if you've got a pair of them they might just about cope depending on the size of the room but you'll probably be pushing them to their limits. That said, if they're the 5 Go's with the batteries then it sort of takes the worry away about the power going out

Excellent advice - thanks.

Take the larger PA system so you've got the headroom.

Just because you get told in advance that it's a 90db sound limit doesn't mean that's what it's set at, located or even if it's working.

If it's a venue you've worked at before then it's a bit different but in this case I'd just cover my bases.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by cloudswiper View Post

Is that workable?

OK, here's my two pennorth. I'd guess sub are out. I played at a venue with a limiter, and if I cut the bass, I could play very very loud with safety. I've worked at one where I could turn the music up, but the fast rising peaks of a microphone triggered it. Funnily enough, changing mics improved things. If you have space in your motor, I'd take Yams and Mauis, and have a play beforehand. The Mauis are supposed to cater for 100 bodies, and I have done that with ease in some venues, but struggled a bit in a huge barn.

What I'm going to repeat, is that ( even with venue authorisation ) running a cable into the kitchen is a big no. Venues are under scrutiny, and cranking up a six box rig to eleven just because you've found a clean socket is the fast track to closing the venue down. Those of us using battery cabs aren't trying to defeat noise limiters, simply ensuring continuity of service, and safety of kit. We play the hand we're dealt.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk