Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sound Limiters

https://www.bandsforhire.net/blog/sound-limiter-guide

"What Venues Need to Tell You Before You Book
    If your venue has a sound limiter installed, then it is their responsibility to make you aware of this prior to signing any contract. You should be informed of the type of limiter installed at the venue, how it is monitored and what dB limit it is capped at.

Trained venue staff should be present on the day who know how the sound limiter works. They should be able to explain to the musicians how it works and be able to reset it if it were to trip the power on the day."

"If live music is an important aspect of your wedding or party, always speak to potential venues before making a booking as you may find it's only brought up in the small print of their contract. It’s very difficult for 100-150 guests to enjoy themselves if a limiter is set at 80dB (quieter than a hairdryer) and so you may decide to look into an alternative venue."

Zog.
    Last edited by Zog; 03-10-2023 at 07:17 AM.

Default Wedding Wheelie Fail. Would this alternative entertainment trip off a sound limiter?

Zog.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    What he said.

( Except I don't need mains/UPS to keep the controller alive for a few minutes )
    "It's not to circumvent the limiting requirements and I always play by the book on that front. It's to stop potentially several thousand pounds of damage to equipment going on and off."

So, just how is that going to happen? Does the gear blow up if you switch it on and off, then on again.?

Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    "It's not to circumvent the limiting requirements and I always play by the book on that front. It's to stop potentially several thousand pounds of damage to equipment going on and off."

So, just how is that going to happen? Does the gear blow up if you switch it on and off, then on again.?

Z.
    It can affect all sorts of things in modern kit, most of which is very sensitive to power outages/surges etc.

Most affected are the newer standalone controllers with built in hard drives. Powering down without correctly dismounting a hard drive (trust me on this one, I spent 25 years in IT) can and does corrupt them.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Bands and singers were another thing though. They seemed to have great difficulty, even after sound checks, to be able to control the level. I've known bands cut it off during their first song, then the second, third.
    It's the drummer. They don't have the benefit of a volume control like us DJs do - plus it's harder to focus on watching a sound limiter when playing an instrument. And hard to know exactly who needs to back off a bit when playing as a band.

All good reasons to book a DJ rather than a band when in a venue with a sound limiter.

? Does the gear blow up if you switch it on and off, then on again.?

Z.
    Yes. Next question please. Active cabs can dislike it intensely, there are many tales of them dying when disconnected and reconnected to 240v without using the mains switch, and dropping the gains.

And re venues telling clients there's a limiter which may easily ruin their evening:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    It can affect all sorts of things in modern kit, most of which is very sensitive to power outages/surges etc.

Most affected are the newer standalone controllers with built in hard drives. Powering down without correctly dismounting a hard drive (trust me on this one, I spent 25 years in IT) can and does corrupt them.
    The big problem with some of them. I used to have my Cortex set so it couldn't write to the drive, so couldn't ( theoretically ) corupt it.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

All good reasons to book a DJ rather than a band when in a venue with a sound limiter.
    Meeeeeow!

How many times have venues said to me, when asking me to use the limiter " you'll be alright, we've never had a DJ trip it, only bands"?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Z.
    Yes. Do it with your pc several times and see what happens.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

There is no doubt that you are correct.

I am now going non-electric....

Zog.

Would it not be possible, just for once, to post a new topic or a reply to a topic that DOESN'T contain a video or link?
    It's really not needed

There is no doubt that you are correct.

I am now going non-electric....
    Sorry Zog, but your posts are now adding even less to topics than when you were only posting seemingly random links and resurrecting old threads. Who knew that was even possible?

You have been placed in the "Sin Bin" as a temporary measure. While there, your posts have to be approved by a moderator before they are published. If they are deemed not to add anything constructive, they won't be approved.
    Last edited by Marc J; 03-10-2023 at 03:36 PM.