Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving the EVOX 8 a little help with additional Sub

Default Giving the EVOX 8 a little help with additional Sub

I've had my EVOX 8 for probably nearly 3 years now and absolutely love the sound, portability & appearance. However when I occasionally do marquees I found them to be a little bit lacking to give it the complete sound I'd like without pushing them to and beyond their limits.

To that end I'd been hunting round for something to give them a little boost in the bass department. Initially I was going to buy one of the Thomann 2 x 10 Active subs but when Brexit was announced the price shot up so that was a no go. As I would think alot of us do I scoured the "Bay of E ness" for potential suspects. A couple of days ago on the Why Buy New page was a DB Tech Sub28D spec below:

Name:  SUB 28D right side.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  20.4 KB

Acoustical data
    Frequency Response [-10dB]45 - 150 Hz
    Max SPL125 dB
    Directivityomnidirectional LF2x8 "

Amplifier
    Amp TechnologyDigipack™
    Amp ClassClass D
    Peak Power800 W
    Processor
    ControllerDSP 24 bit/ 48 kHz
    Phase0, 180 °
    LimiterDual Active Limiter
    Crossover Frequency MF-HF100 Hz, 24dB/Octave
    System Presets Flat, Boost

Input
    Signal Input2x XLR
    Signal Output2x XLR X-Over Out/ Link Out

Mechanics
    Housing Multiplex with H.E.T coating, reinforced
    Width 290 mm (11.6 in)
    Height 520 mm (20.8 in)
    Depth 505 mm (20.2 in)
    Weight 19.5 kg (42.99 lbs)

Now this was never going to rock the world like an 18 or similar but that's not what I wanted. The one I got was an ex Demo with a couple of marks on it but for £299 I was prepared to take a punt. After testing this afternoon at the unit I'm really pleased with it. Nice punchy sound and reinforces the EVOX nicely. It's small enough to fit under the booth shelf either stood up or on it's side.

I hadn't even seen one of these before it popped up on WBN but glad it did!
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

I have been researching cheap non bandpass 12inch subs to go with my reserve PA, 2 RCF 708a mk11.

Glad you found a good deal and are pleased with the sub.

I've got to be missing something here. Everybody's buying stick rigs, and then complaining they aren't big/loud/earthshaking enough. They then start adding different tops, extra subs etc in an effort to get the increased oomph they desire.

If I couldn't get all the kit I wanted in an SWB Transit, I wouldn't have a mate following behind in a 2CV with the rest of the stuff, I'd get an MWB/LWB Transit. Simples.

If the Maui 5s won't hack it, out come the big boxes.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I have a small system which works well a pair of K 10 and a pair of RCF 702 so light and packs a punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I've got to be missing something here. Everybody's buying stick rigs, and then complaining they aren't big/loud/earthshaking enough. They then start adding different tops, extra subs etc in an effort to get the increased oomph they desire.

If I couldn't get all the kit I wanted in an SWB Transit, I wouldn't have a mate following behind in a 2CV with the rest of the stuff, I'd get an MWB/LWB Transit. Simples.

If the Maui 5s won't hack it, out come the big boxes.
    Think it is more for 'the look' or at least it is with me.
    If I go out with a couple of big subs and 12" tops it doesn't look as neat and I also find peoples perceptions are 'it is going to be loud'. I use the evox too and add a sub (or 2) under my booth so the appearance is the same and (strangely) people don't realise how loud you are actually playing.

Once of the comments I often get are 'you won't play too loud', showing pictures of 2 evox puts their mind at ease.

However I do wish the evox had a little more oomph to eliviate the need for additional subs.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    I have a small system which works well a pair of K 10 and a pair of RCF 702 so light and packs a punch.
    And do you often find the need to help it out with extra boxes? I suspect not.

It is however, not a stick rig, so not within the remit of the point I made. Wayne uses two 12" Yamaha subs and 8" tops. It's very loud he says, but it's not a stick rig either.

My point refers to people buying stick rigs and deciding they need to be louder. Well either buy a bigger one, or go back to full size subs and tops. ( Mind you, some of the so called stick rigs at Coalville had 12" subs underneath, so they're pushing the envelope quite a lot )

If an Evox 8 isn't big enough, buy an Evox 12.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post

However I do wish the evox had a little more oomph to eliviate the need for additional subs.
    Then it simply isn't fit for ( your ) purpose. That's two of you complaining the Evox subs aren't big enough to keep up with the tops. I'd complain bitterly to RCF if I were you.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 08-04-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Is this not a case of horses for courses and the thought that one size may not fit all.

Hence why I have 2 different PAs that I can mix and match.

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    Is this not a case of horses for courses and the thought that one size may not fit all.

Hence why I have 2 different PAs that I can mix and match.
    Give that man any prize off the top shelf. Correct.

My order of magnitude is:
    Maui 5s ( which have done all bar five gigs I've had since I got them. )
    12" tops.
    15" tops
    15" subs plus 12" tops
    and the rig which I've never got to yet 15" subs plus 15" tops.

The first two rigs have coped adequately with ( some ) gigs of between 100 and 150 people.

And do you often find the need to help it out with extra boxes? I suspect not.

It is however, not a stick rig, so not within the remit of the point I made. Wayne uses two 12" Yamaha subs and 8" tops. It's very loud he says, but it's not a stick rig either.

My point refers to people buying stick rigs and deciding they need to be louder. Well either buy a bigger one, or go back to full size subs and tops. ( Mind you, some of the so called stick rigs at Coalville had 12" subs underneath, so they're pushing the envelope quite a lot )

Then it simply isn't fit for ( your ) purpose. That's two of you complaining the Evox subs aren't big enough to keep up with the tops. I'd complain bitterly to RCF if I were you.
    If i want more volume i use a vertus system yeh thats a stick but plenty of guts for me.

But then you lose the portability of the 8's as the tops from the 12 are separate and not incorporated into the same bag as the sub. Plus they're a good few £'s more!

Not complaining. As I said they're great for what I do of a norm and the client probably doesn't notice a difference without the extra sub but it's what I prefer to do.
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs