Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving the EVOX 8 a little help with additional Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post
    But then you lose the portability of the 8's as the tops from the 12 are separate and not incorporated into the same bag as the sub.
    I think he's got it. By George, he's got it. It's a set of subs and tops in fact. The weapon of choice for larger functions, rather than a pretty stick rig with odds and sods bolted on under the booth.

You can have light, loud and pretty, or heavier, louder and cosmetically lacking. At some point , you have to make a choice which you need. It's an oft repeated phrase, but there is still no " One size fits all PA ".
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Bit between the choice of carrying 2 12"speakers and 1/2 subs or 2 evox and 1/2 subs, I'd choose the Evox option as it looks neater and to me sounds better.

Horses for courses but the size and weight of the Evox is comparable to a lot of top speakers.

The more powerful stick options I just don't like lol
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I do feel like the sticks are style over substance. They sound good for smaller functions. But I personally still think a couple of lightweight 12kg RCF tops and a small sub does the same job and can probably cope with more but costs 1/3 of the sticks.

Swap a small sub for a big one and it sounds great to.... And that'd be 2/3 of the price but could cope with larger crowds.

It's mainly the price that puts me off tbh, I'm not sure you get value for money.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I do feel like the sticks are style over substance.
    It's mainly the price that puts me off tbh, I'm not sure you get value for money.
    I 100% agree with your first bit.
    Price though - you can get a couple of sticks (subs and tops) for an almost similar price to what a couple of decent tops would cost.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I do feel like the sticks are style over substance.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    And I disagree 100%. They are designed for a purpose, smaller gigs, let's say a figure of 100 guests not needing the earth to move.

Now if we upscale to 200 young guests in a marquee, wanting EDM or heavy rock they can feel as well as hear, you're backing the wrong horse.

I still feel it's all down to knowing the limitations and capabilities of your kit, and using the right tool for the job.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I still feel it's all down to knowing the limitations and capabilities of your kit, and using the right tool for the job.
    Amen brother Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Price though - you can get a couple of sticks (subs and tops) for an almost similar price to what a couple of decent tops would cost.
    Hmmm, on paper - RCF evox pair is around £2'000 total weight is 47.6kg & 128 dB max SPL per side

RCF 310a = £600, 23.2kg for a pair, max 127dB per side
    Single RCF 702as = £700, 17.5kg, max 129dB.

I've not tried the 12" RCF subs, but I'd say that a single 12" sub with 2 RCF 310a's would be similar match (maybe better due to the massive difference in speaker surface area). Sticks are 6.9kg heavier, £700 more, but they are smaller. If you wanted a little extra go for a 15" sub for an extra £100 and I'd say that beat the sticks easy and weigh 2.6kg more but still be £600 less.

If you insist on having 2 subs, it'll be a similar price point but I don't think that'd be the best value for money in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    And I disagree 100%. They are designed for a purpose, smaller gigs, let's say a figure of 100 guests not needing the earth to move.

Now if we upscale to 200 young guests in a marquee, wanting EDM or heavy rock they can feel as well as hear, you're backing the wrong horse.

They certainly have their place, and if I had a pair, I'd use them quite regulary. But when you can get so much more "substance" for the same money the extra few hundred quid is most definately the way they look rather than their actual sonic performance?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I have a second LD dave sub for marquees and larger events, but rarely need it so its on Ebay. I have array tops now, which throw the sound well & I also use the DBR next to my system (backup) which can be cranked up if required and gives out good Bass.

I think if its the odd event, then the DBR 12 would add enough and you can hide it behind the booth and act as a second system for ceremonies/background etc. If the bass is that badly lacking then just get a small high SPL sub, but unlike the DBR, it will be sitting about not doing much, so as per the other answers a separate system would probably be best and can add as a decent back up should your other one get nicked.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I have the Evox 8 and if there was a gig i was worried it wouldn't cut it at i would probably take the RCF HD12's and Subs rather than stick a sub under the booth, I can see why you would as you get the looks and the sound too.

I'm surprised you are taking subs to every gig Chris. I've found them fine in the venues I've used them at.

As others say though its about picking the right tool for the job, if the job requires stick speakers but needs a bit more oomph i don't see the problem in doing that.

We've invested heavily in Stick style speakers with the Evox 8, DB ES 602, and the new Maui 28G2. But for larger gigs the HD12s come out to play.
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Following this thread with interest.

Peter makes an interesting point regarding folk who invest in singing drainpipes and then seek to bolster the sound with additional kit. I think there's another point to be made too....when was the last time any of you guys with standard cabinet speakers and subs received negative feedback from your client, purely based on the aesthetics? I've been around as a DJ longer than I care to remember, and that has never happened to me, so that only leaves one place where not having stick systems is uncool...and that's DJ forums and online groups. Peer pressure. 'Elitism' (although there's nothing elite except the price!)

Of course having the choice of so many different systems is a wonderful thing, but please don't be blinded by the aesthetics argument. After all, a box in the air is no more unsightly than a half-built exotic dancers' pole!
    DJ Ian Scott
    www.djianscott.com

"The Earth has music for those who listen."