Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone?

Default Does anyone?

When people arent dancing but chair dancing, do any of you try to shame or make comments about people not dancing?
    I do but very tongue in cheek.
    Just wandered.

The only light hearted comment I make is to the lads leaning on the bar all night.
    I just remind them that the bar is made of bricks and wood , it wont float away if you move away from it

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Nope

....although I did send a conga-line of kids into the wedding reception last night with strict instructions to bring some adults back with them.

Didn't work

No

Not everyone enjoys dancing, or even being the centre of attention.

So turning to spotlight on them because they're not dancing can make them feel very uncomfortable.

They may have been really enjoying your music, but that would put them off you if you then make them feel uncomfortable.

Who are you doing this for? Usually it's for the DJs ego to get as many people dancing as possible.

As long as I've got a steady flow of dancers, I'm very content - and I always try and rotate the dancefloor, as at a wedding, I'd never expect the same guests to dance all night. As long as those who want to dance get a few songs they dance too, then I find the reviews come back very well! And if my client is happy, then it's job well done.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Chair dancers, no.

People standing and dancing away from the dancefloor, I tend to joke that due to health and safety legislation, dancing can only occur in the designated dancefloor area.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    No

Not everyone enjoys dancing, or even being the centre of attention.

So turning to spotlight on them because they're not dancing can make them feel very uncomfortable.

They may have been really enjoying your music, but that would put them off you if you then make them feel uncomfortable.

Who are you doing this for? Usually it's for the DJs ego to get as many people dancing as possible.

As long as I've got a steady flow of dancers, I'm very content - and I always try and rotate the dancefloor, as at a wedding, I'd never expect the same guests to dance all night. As long as those who want to dance get a few songs they dance too, then I find the reviews come back very well! And if my client is happy, then it's job well done.
    Certainly not my ego after 15 years I don't think I would still be dj lol like I said it's tongue in cheek and not something I do all night.

I certainly am prepared to make a few merry quips about it, but shame? No, nay, never. Cajolery, encouragement and downright pleading ( I'm a miserable pleader, Carry on something or other, ages ago. ) are all likely to occur.

The most obvious indicator of a great night is a packed dancefloor all night, but often there's little or no sign,causing us to really panic. Thing is, as far as guests are concerned, they might be having a storming night, they just don't tell us till afterwards.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I certainly am prepared to make a few merry quips about it, but shame? No, nay, never. Cajolery, encouragement and downright pleading ( I'm a miserable pleader, Carry on something or other, ages ago. ) are all likely to occur.

The most obvious indicator of a great night is a packed dancefloor all night, but often there's little or no sign,causing us to really panic. Thing is, as far as guests are concerned, they might be having a storming night, they just don't tell us till afterwards.
    Yes doesn't worry me annoying when you have tried songs that usually get people dancing but I'm not abusive if people don't dance .
    It wouldn't be good and I wouldn't get referalls or repeat bookings.

I was a DJ for long enough to realise that people can enjoy themselves without being on the dancefloor all night!

Saying that, I'm with Peter and wasn't adverse to making a few lighthearted comments to try and get people up dancing. Things like "Ladies and gentlemen, for one night only, use of this fabulous and spacious dancing area is completely free of charge! Free dancing! Come and get it while you can!". Or "I can see people dancing in their seats but the manager has told me the cleaners have already polished the chairs so why not come join us on the dancefloor?". No pointing or shaming involved - the chair-polishers know who they are!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

As said already, I am not too bothered whether people are 'chair dancing'. At the end of the day, yes we would all love a busy dance floor all night but the main thing is that people are enjoying themselves. Thankfully it has only happened just the once but on one occasion I did a reunion party for 30 people (mainly blokes), who were all meeting up again after being in the RAF around 30 years ago. The dance floor was empty ALL NIGHT. I didn't have one dancer BUT that lot were very complimentary about the music and the job that I'd done and that was enough for me.

Personally speaking, I am not a dancer, never have been and I am one of those that will be sat a table (or stood near the bar). If it is a good atmosphere and I am enjoying the music then that's enough for me. I don't need to get up and dance. It doesn't help the DJ (us), but I am sure there are plenty of others out there who are the same.

With reference to saying stuff about the 'chair dancers', I don't tend to say anything but on one occasion I felt I had to because I was playing 100% guaranteed floor fillers and not getting any reaction at all. I think I said something like "Looks like the super glue monkeys have been in tonight" and it worked. Some people obviously heard me and the floor started to fill as time went by.