Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Likes & Dislikes

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    and especially the news for 10 years.
    There's a lot to be sad for being oblivious to the news. You soon realise how much of it doesn't affect you - but of course, it's all dramatised so that each day there's a new "big thing" that's life changing for us.

As for likes and dislikes:

The ending of a wedding (when everyone is there to celebrate the end of the wedding, and there's so much love in the room at that point)
    That 1 second of "yeah" you get from people when you play a song, and 2 seconds in they realise what it is and love it
    "Nice weddings" - you know those couples who just have nice friends and family, they make for amazing weddings!
    The drive home after a great gig - it's nice to look back and reflect on how well it went and start winding down
    The brides who book me because they've really bought in to what I provide - I really look forward to those weddings.

DISLIKES
    "We've always done it this way"
    Short room turnaround times. I much prefer to set up leisurely at the begining of the day
    The setting up - especially in the summer when I end up sweaty
    Drunk guests who become rude and obnoxious
    People leaning over my equipment with a drink in their hand (they'd be the first to complain if it all went quiet and dark because they spilt it)
    Suppliers who don't care about the wedding and want to get home as quickly as possible
    Kids - sorry, but young kids and weddings don't mix, unless you've got proper entertainment all day for them, like an on site creche. Otherwise they get bored and just round around/scream (usually during the speeches)

- My post gig bottle of prosecco in the hot tub
    - Being paid a lot better to still "do music" compared to all those years slogging in bands for buttons
    - Working with clients - it's a nice feeling to know you're making a tangible difference to their big day and it's nice when you know they appreciate it
    - Getting to play in some amazing venues and see a lot of the country side I'd otherwise never see
    - I quite like all the admin stuff - having recently got married myself, it's really satisfying to know just how on top of things I am business wise compared to a lot of suppliers - clients appreciate that
    - Getting to be out there performng doing something I love as opposed to sat in or spending money in the pub on a Saturday night
    - Discovering new incremental gains (I refuse to call things "hacks") on how to load up the gear, set up, tear down etc... making my gigs shorter and easier

DISLIKES:
    - Drunk guests, drunk people in general actually - some of the worst things I've seen when gigging have actually been driving away from gigs (the Cow Gate in Edinburgh in particular is REALLY depressing) to see what booze (and I love a drink myself) does to people
    - The "JUST GET OAN WI IT, WE ALL KNOW IT" person when teaching ceilidh steps - the invariably do not know it and even if they do, the chances of the 100 odd other guests knowing all the moves are slim
    - Loch Lommond - 1 it's a rubbish over played tune, 2 it's a cue for people to bash into your gear
    - "Can you play this? Everyone will dance?"

Not you could really just collapse those last 3 dislikes into the first as that's usually where it all stems from. So yeah, stop people drinking at weddings and it'd be the best job in the world

Edit: Ooh thought of another dislike - not receiving a formal feedback return even when the gig has been great, the bride and groom and their guests have all raved about you and you know you did a stand up job.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 20-04-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Ooh thought of another dislike - not receiving a formal feedback return even when the gig has been great, the bride and groom and their guests have all raved about you and you know you did a stand up job.
    Must admit that one Narks me a bit too.
    I often find the most challenging weddings that you spend a lot of time preparing, meeting with the B&G, have a long long day etc - which turn out to be a great day/night - are the ones where you hear nothing afterwards, not even a thank you at the end of the night.

The mediocre (boring) ones where you don't think it has been a great night often result in fantastic feedback
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Must admit that one Narks me a bit too.
    I often find the most challenging weddings that you spend a lot of time preparing, meeting with the B&G, have a long long day etc - which turn out to be a great day/night - are the ones where you hear nothing afterwards, not even a thank you at the end of the night.

The mediocre (boring) ones where you don't think it has been a great night often result in fantastic feedback

That's not just me then? Phew!

I always drop a quick thank you email to the client the next day whilst everything's still fresh in their minds. Occasionally you'll get a one-liner back (nothing meaty enough to use as a testimonial on the website), despite getting loads of verbal praise on the night.

I'm actually thinking of getting a body-cam type device so that I can record what's said on the night and transcribe it as a quote on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    That's not just me then? Phew!

I always drop a quick thank you email to the client the next day whilst everything's still fresh in their minds. Occasionally you'll get a one-liner back (nothing meaty enough to use as a testimonial on the website), despite getting loads of verbal praise on the night.

I'm actually thinking of getting a body-cam type device so that I can record what's said on the night and transcribe it as a quote on the website.
    Not that they're all like this but tbh the feedback I receive at the end of the night (and I'm very happy to) is normally something like "you did a great job with the music, we had a great night, really good job, we liked it, great job, I'll recommend you, great job".

I absolutely love my job, no qualms with admin, no problems driving long distances, I enjoy being busy which is never quite enough.

The only thing I truly dispise is people who think they're better than me, are ignorant or think that I work for them. Actually I lie, I hate loading and unloading the van. Setting up I'm fine with.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    There's a lot to be sad for
    Yep

It's all good knowing whats happening, but times are changing. If anything is that serious I will hear it from anyone I encounter locally, just like in the olden days, but people have second by second newspapers in their back pockets now. If I want to know more then I shall do some independent research on t-internet and get the full story rather than glorified the account of it paid by the BBC (or other similar media entities).

Even when radio one news comes on in the car I think yes subconsciously as they invariably start with something negative about a bombing or someone has been murdered. I tend to turn it off after it starts up. as you say 'it's all dramatised'. I would rather watch Shakespeare than listen to news 24 but thats only my personal preference. I remember watching newshound as a kid and thinking it was so one sided. My opinion have not changed since the age of 9 and I am not political or anything like that at all.

We are probably flirting in the realms of political debate here so I will resign.
    Last edited by yourdj; 21-04-2017 at 02:10 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

We are probably flirting in the realms of political debate here so I will resign.
    Indeed you are approaching that line we must not cross, lads. Well done for reining in your horses from the headlong gallop into remonstration. Thanks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default Up Down

The Light
    Playing "Get Low" by Lil John

Dislikes:
    People with Bad Breath
    People selling me Advertising over the phone.
    Playing anything by Rihanna
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

My Likes,

Stepping back after setting up and seeing how a nice setup has added to the room
    Seeing a full dance floor react to song they weren't expecting
    Getting home after a successful night and watching an episode of something my wife has no interest in with a cold Koppaberg.

Dislikes
    Rude people who don't say Please or thank you and think you are beneath them.
    Requests that come one after the other swinging the night in different directions constantly
    Knowing your song choice would have gone down better than the request from the person who you know will only give you grief if you don't play it.
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Loading out.
    Unloading the van at the end of the night when I get home.
    Good reactions to my work.
    Learning from my mistakes!

Dislikes
    Loading in.
    Poor reactions to key moments in a party. The old 'show some love for...' and you might as well let the tumbleweeds go but. Hate that. If you're not gonna wish people well why did you come?
    People who think they're paying my wages.
    Being treated like a jukebox.
    Making mistakes