Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-recorded wedding mix

I've had two playlists sent over to me today, with around 30 songs on each. The second one is pretty run-of-the-mill with lots of recent pop and dance music but the first one, which is presumably for earlier in the day/night, is full of artists I've never even heard of such as Leon Bridges, Alabama Shakes and Irma Thomas. I don't see that in itself being a major problem because I can still mix songs I don't know, but I would need to buy about 35 of the 60 songs on the two playlists and pass that cost on to her, along with the cost of the licence, the memory stick and the overseas postage meaning this wouldn't be a cheap option for her.

I've just emailed her back saying that I don't think the benefit of me doing it would justify the cost of what I would need to charge her, but that if she is adamant she wants me to do it I will take it on to the best of my ability. I have also pointed out that it would have to be on a music only basis because I'm really not up for making pre-recorded announcements and I'm not sure my fairly broad Barnsley accent would be all that well received at a Floridian wedding.

I've said that if she wants to minimise her cost I will email her a shopping list and give her some instructions to enable her to have a go at preparing the mixes herself without any charge. It will be interesting to find out which way she wants to go.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

For the amount of time it would take I would want something close to my normal fee. Even so there are millions of DJ's in America, especially Florida, so why is she not booking one of them? ...
    I'd guess the answer to your question is cost. On a certain Facebook page, which seems predominately DJs of Stateside origin, it's clear that they're not shy in asking for fees that make them a decent living. $1.5k upwards appears to be the going rate for wedding DJs over there!

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I’d politely decline and advise them iTunes will mix music from a playlist for them.

Chances are you’ll end up putting more time into it than it pays, sending versions for their approval, making amendments, mixing out slow intro’s/outro’s, adding/deleting songs etc.

It’s just not worth the hassle.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I'd guess the answer to your question is cost. On a certain Facebook page, which seems predominately DJs of Stateside origin
    Yup - I'm a member of that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    ...it's clear that they're not shy in asking for fees that make them a decent living. $1.5k upwards appears to be the going rate for wedding DJs over there!
    You'll never get that round here

In answer to the OP though - I'd be inclined to decline that one in all honesty. It sounds like a LOT of work for potentially very little money. I'd say she's trying to cut corners, and as already mentioned, U.S weddings are a completely different kettle of fish to those over on this side of the pond...not least of all on cost.

The DJ pretty much runs the show on the day from ceremony to reception (and I really do mean [b]runs[b] the show...not just the occasional announcement, and the day is generally shorter as well (I'm told the average U.S wedding is around 4-5 hours including the ceremony and sit down meal and that those guys can do a couple of weddings in a day. They're also expected to attend a full rehearsal before the big day for most weddings (which is all built into those costs).

They also don't tend to use much in the way of lighting believe it or not. In fact, they've only just got into having a facade (think Equinox screen) and an Equinox GigBar as the light-show (I kid you not....they LOVE Gigbars!). That said, most of them have invested in their own generators/battery packs for the outside parts of the wedding (normally the ceremony).

As to their fees - there's a different post in the members area which covers that one so won't go into that here

I've been to a few US wedidngs and even djed one (albeit premixes from my laptop as I was a guest) It was in New York and the music was played between the courses! People were dancing to elvis, beatles, stones etc before their main course. It was great fun but over all too early. The groom was Irish so we went to a private area in a club after the wedding itself but most of the atmosphere was lost during the change of venue.

More recently, on holidays in Disneyland last summer, there was a wedding in the hotel and the dj was playing music around 3pm - 5pm, no lights at all and in fairness the yanks are great for getting up for a boogie. I passed around 6 and everything was finished!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    More recently, on holidays in Disneyland last summer, there was a wedding in the hotel and the dj was playing music around 3pm - 5pm, no lights at all and in fairness the yanks are great for getting up for a boogie. I passed around 6 and everything was finished!
    A lot of good stuff has come from our shiny teethed friends over the last 10 years (amongst all the crap that has brainwashed some folk!), but they keep that idea quiet!! What a revolution, venues would love that wouldn't they! They would be all shut up by 6 & I could be at home tucked up in bed by 7pm!!

US DJ's do charge a premium as they seem to be doing the whole lot, (even MCing & management), so with a greater set of jobs and longer prep, they will be charging more than the 4-5 hour evening DJ 'just playing some tunes'. I had dreams about my all-day on Sat, this morning, says a lot about the responsibility / subconscious stress. I do it a lot, play button wont work, or someone has nicked my kit!!!
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I'm working with some US DJs currently to help them improve their web presence.

They cannot get over the length of a UK wedding - nor the idea of separate evening guests.

They tend to have a 3pm/4pm ceremony, followed by drinks reception, and then sit down at 6pm for food with everything concluded by 11pm.

Far better, and keeps the pace going - UK weddings are very slow affairs, with lots of gaps with nothing happening.

On the note of the original thread though, I'm surprised at how many people have said "don't bother" and "knock it on the head".

Why the assumption that the client is purely looking for the cheapest option?

You'll lose a lot of business that way, and annoy clients who have got big money to spend.

Sometimes you'll be surprised what motivates people, and it's not always "the cheapest".

Like I said, a 5 minute Skype session would help clarify this either way - and I'm glad the OP has been in touch, and brought up the price issue quickly. Yes, the thinking from the bride might be how to do it cheaper, but equally, they may have been so impressed at a UK DJ and how different our set was, and are looking for something unique for their wedding, and could see this as the only practical alternative, but "low price" isn't a driver.

It harks back to my thread about pricing - why do so many DJs think everyone just wants the cheapest?

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    They cannot get over the length of a UK wedding
    Try getting married in Poland. My wedding lasted 3 days!! And I still wanted more.

You'll lose a lot of business that way, and annoy clients who have got big money to spend.
    I tend to turn quite a bit of normal work down as its either too far away, don't like the venue, or the client is not really right for us (or vice verser), Regardless of how much money they have to spend. It's certainly worth looking at but this is hardly a normal situation.

I am interested to see how it pans out. I bet its a mix of money, she has been recommended you, & that she has seen a few bad US DJ's and was horrified. It may just be a small English person wedding (30 persons), with no first dance & a bit of dancing at the end?
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

On the note of the original thread though, I'm surprised at how many people have said "don't bother" and "knock it on the head".

Why the assumption that the client is purely looking for the cheapest option?

It harks back to my thread about pricing - why do so many DJs think everyone just wants the cheapest?
    I think you were the first person to raise that they may want a cheap option.

Pretty much every other comment hasn’t gone on about it being a budget option but how much hassle it could end up being. Once you commit to a project like this you can end up being at the beck and call of the client for the smallest of changes, which to them sounds reasonable but to the person doing the work can mean redoing the whole mix, I know this from experience and no amount of money makes it worth it.

I think you’re beating up the wrong crowd here.

The plot thickens..... I've just had another email from the bride and it turns out the wedding is next month and to be held somewhere in Spain with only around 30 guests. I must admit that I had assumed it was a cost-cutting measure but now I'm not sure that that is the case.

Anyway, I've given her some advice on how she could do it on a DIY basis using an iPad and DJay Pro software which may well be her best option. Alternatively, I've told her I will take it on if she is prepared to pay me to do it on a 'one-take, less than perfect' basis with no announcements. It sounds like they only need around 3 hours of music so I'd be quite happy to give it a go on that basis provided she covers the cost of any music I need to buy and pays me a reasonable hourly-rate.