Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on possible lighting change please.

Default Advice on possible lighting change please.

I've had sterling service from two Swarm 5s, which are moving to pastures new. Compact, room filling lights, with variation. Light show in one box for younger events.
    That leaves me short in that area. I also have one Chauvet Beamer 6, which is less manic,and has a place usually when you have high ambient light.

So, I need replacements for the Swarms, and I can either buy another Beamer at a very advantageous price, or sell the one I have and put it to the fund.

Replacement of choice is the Chauvet Swarm Wash, but it's not cheap. Not at all cheap. Many folk rate the ADJ Stinger 2, so that's on the table, although two would stretch the budget a bit.

Only things ruled out are the Gigbar, mainly because it won't fit between the uprights on a Micromax, and the ADJ family of strange looking rectangular Stinger Star/Gobo Star, etc.
    Quad phase type are out too.

Anything else in my price range is in, I'm even considering a couple of Fusion scans. I want something that covers a lot of ground, and is aimed at younger crowds mainly. Bigger older events, the trusty EFX 500s come out to play.

OK folks, the floor is yours. Subject to financial constraints, and the bans above, nothing is ruled out.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

These are just amazing:

https://www.djkit.com/chauvet/chauve...l-305-irc.html

They fill the room, and with replacement gobos can make them fit for any occasion.

2 of those, with some wash light with it, and you've got everything you'll need.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    These are just amazing:

https://www.djkit.com/chauvet/chauve...l-305-irc.html

They fill the room, and with replacement gobos can make them fit for any occasion.

2 of those, with some wash light with it, and you've got everything you'll need.

These are fantastic little lights - they've pretty much retired my Wizards (except for one venue where I can stand those on the stage for a slightly different effect - photos after Friday night's wedding on that one).

In fact the vast majority of my work now is a pair of Kam PowerParty bars and a pair of the 305's - nothing else needed really.

I've just replaced a couple of the Gobos in mine and I'm really impressed. Thinking there might be some snowflakes appearing come Xmas time

There's a nice little 0% deal on them as well which seems to work....it's how I got mine and completely pain free.

+1 for the Chauvet 305's. Large coverage and nice gobos.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I've just replaced a couple of the Gobos in mine and I'm really impressed. Thinking there might be some snowflakes appearing come Xmas time
    Yes, snowflakes look great, and are instant bonus points with the person who booked you, as you have effectively themed the room for them at no extra cost, so makes them look really good!

Same with the hearts for the first dance at a wedding.

And stars look really good for dancing.

Well, that's how mine is set anyway!

I don't really use the built in ones - and eventually will replace all the "standard" provided gobos, which effectively gives me a unique light.

As an aside, I'm actually completely clueless about changing gobos. Where do you get them from?

I'm not sure if these would fit the bill but are a very cost effective option that I have just gone for....

http://www.ukdj.co.uk/pro-audio-ligh...ro-glide-p5833

I know Kam lighting doesn't have the best of reputations for reliability but I figured that at less than £70 each delivered they would be suitable for kids parties/ teen discos etc. I actually used them for the first time on Saturday. I had a 7 hour 40th birthday party in central Birmingham where I knew I would be restricted for space. I stuck a pair on a T bar with a pair of mega tri pars and they performed admirably. They clearly aren't anywhere near as refined a lighting fixture as the intimidator barrels but a pair either side of your Beamer 6 would be a pretty reasonable no-frills set up I would have thought, particularly if you can add a bit of haze into the mix.

Thank you for your thoughts Gentlemen, a brilliant suggestion, but for two things.
    1) One of them is nearly double my budget, so immediately disqualified on price.
    2) Been there, done that. Different badge I think, but although fabulous lights, weren't what I was looking for.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Might be a silly question but.... if the Swarm 5s provided sterling service and did what you needed them to do, why have you moved them on to pastures new and not just kept them?

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    As an aside, I'm actually completely clueless about changing gobos. Where do you get them from?
    There's a few places.

This is one of the more user friendly sites and good value too

http://www.goboplus.com/stock-gobos/gobos.html

Lots to choose from!