Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on possible lighting change please.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    1) One of them is nearly double my budget, so immediately disqualified on price. .
    Out of interest how long did you have your swarms for?

Admittedly I've only had the 305s for 1.5 years but I doubt they've depreciated much if I wanted to sell them, but I don't, and I'm confident as long as the bulb lasts that I'll get 5 years out of them. I can easily update the look with new gobos for not much money.

In my mind excellent value for money. And when I come to sell them (should I need to), the total cost of ownership won't have been much at all.

Ok.... I'll have another try

http://www.ukdj.co.uk/pro-audio-ligh...ntroller-p4210

These look like they might fit your criteria and are in the right sort of price range.

(I'm not on commission with UKDJ by the way. They just seem to sell them cheaper than anywhere else and include bags which is always a bonus)

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    I'm not sure if these would fit the bill but are a very cost effective option that I have just gone for....

http://www.ukdj.co.uk/pro-audio-ligh...ro-glide-p5833
    Sorry Allan, missed this first time. Close, but no cigar I think. The ones where the bars are on a 360 degree rotator would be perfect, but also much dearer.

Might be a silly question but.... if the Swarm 5s provided sterling service and did what you needed them to do, why have you moved them on to pastures new and not just kept them?
    Sensible question. Many factors involved, but the unit having big strobe lights round the outside never sat well with me ( The Stinger 2 has UV, and the Swarm Wash multicoloured ones. ) The smaller strobe lights in the Beamer are much nicer. Also, once I'd seen the Swarm Wash, I realised it was better, so wanted to swap.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Out of interest how long did you have your swarms for?

Admittedly I've only had the 305s for 1.5 years but I doubt they've depreciated much if I wanted to sell them, but I don't, and I'm confident as long as the bulb lasts that I'll get 5 years out of them. I can easily update the look with new gobos for not much money.

In my mind excellent value for money. And when I come to sell them (should I need to), the total cost of ownership won't have been much at all.
    I had the Acme equivalent, I think. No idea how long I've had the swarms, but like my barrels, they were bought s/h, at good prices. Don't owe me a penny. I accept your economic theory without any question, it's cast iron. Problem is, I don't want one, I've already had an equivalent. Didn't do what I want.

Ok.... I'll have another try

http://www.ukdj.co.uk/pro-audio-ligh...ntroller-p4210

These look like they might fit your criteria and are in the right sort of price range.
    Allan, you've grasped the concept, and the parameters brilliantly. Good call again, but still no cigar.

Problem is, I don't want one, I've already had an equivalent. Didn't do what I want.
    Would you mind expanding on that?

Often understanding what you didn't like about a product can help us understand better about what you are looking for

Would you mind expanding on that?

Often understanding what you didn't like about a product can help us understand better about what you are looking for
    While I wanted wide coverage, I didn't want the absolutely manic coverage I got. They were only pointing at anything I wanted them to point at for a fraction of the time.
    The fault could easily be partly mine, as I didn't expend a lot of time trying to tame them. That's exactly the same reason the first owner got rid of them.

The Swarms cover a wide area, but it's usually focussed mainly on the dancefloor. That's the sort of coverage I'm seeking.

Sorry Allan, missed this first time. Close, but no cigar I think. The ones where the bars are on a 360 degree rotator would be perfect, but also much dearer.

Sensible question. Many factors involved, but the unit having big strobe lights round the outside never sat well with me ( The Stinger 2 has UV, and the Swarm Wash multicoloured ones. ) The smaller strobe lights in the Beamer are much nicer. Also, once I'd seen the Swarm Wash, I realised it was better, so wanted to swap.
    Sounds to me as though you need to find a decent pair of second hand Swarm washes then. I think anything new that would do the job would be out of budget and anything in budget just wouldn't cut the mustard.

I've just bought myself a Ninja 5rx and I think all my bases are covered now in terms of lights although I wouldn't mind a pair of FX Par 9s to go with the microglides. I get what you mean about the Swarm 5 by the way. I've recently sold mine for similar reasons.

Presumably these would be out of budget?

https://www.astounded.com/shop/ameri...FUeVGwod_qYHAQ
    Last edited by Excalibur; 18-04-2017 at 09:06 PM. Reason: merged posts

While I wanted wide coverage, I didn't want the absolutely manic coverage I got. They were only pointing at anything I wanted them to point at for a fraction of the time.
    The fault could easily be partly mine, as I didn't expend a lot of time trying to tame them. That's exactly the same reason the first owner got rid of them.
    That's fair enough - they are "room filling" lights. So any form of scanner/barrel or moving head is out unless you're going to do lots of DMX work to "control" them.

Out of interest, why is the Quad Phase HP out?

Could the new Twister 5 be suitable for you? https://www.djkit.com/abstract/abstract-twister-5.html

Presumably these would be out of budget?

https://www.astounded.com/shop/ameri...FUeVGwod_qYHAQ
    Strong contender. Closest yet, ta.

That's fair enough - they are "room filling" lights. So any form of scanner/barrel or moving head is out unless you're going to do lots of DMX work to "control" them.

Out of interest, why is the Quad Phase HP out?

Could the new Twister 5 be suitable for you? https://www.djkit.com/abstract/abstract-twister-5.html
    Quad phase just doesn't appeal to me. I know many folk love them, but again, not for me.

Currently, the poor man's Swarm Wash is leading the field.

Strong contender. Closest yet, ta.
    I've seen a pair in action. They certainly live up to their name - crazy. DMX or remote control will be a must.