Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on possible lighting change please.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Fusion Max Rollers. 30w, not 12, and light and compact enough for me. A certain Cumbrian dealer will be bringing me a pair down at the end of the month, and I'll let you all know how I get on with them.
    They look nice: as you say, far more compact than the more powerful versions available.

My frustrations with ADJ equivalent "micro" barrels is 1: the brightness isn't enough, but 2: the non-changeable gobos are often a bit too industrial looking. Whereas they look like a good selection of gobos.

If they were changeable gobos, I'd be buying a pair. Just a shame the changeable gobos never seem to appear on the cheaper fixtures

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Just a shame the changeable gobos never seem to appear on the cheaper fixtures
    Indeed.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    They look nice: as you say, far more compact than the more powerful versions available.

My frustrations with ADJ equivalent "micro" barrels is 1: the brightness isn't enough, but 2: the non-changeable gobos are often a bit too industrial looking. Whereas they look like a good selection of gobos.

If they were changeable gobos, I'd be buying a pair. Just a shame the changeable gobos never seem to appear on the cheaper fixtures
    I've been looking at them too. The only downside I see compared to the ADJ version is the very limited CA-8 controller. The ADJ controller has a nice trick of 'slow dance' mode with complete colour, gobo control without buying a third party controller to programme.

EDIT: Also, if I was to get the moving heads to match they don't appear to support a CA-8 controller directly.

Also they don't have a totem mode like the ADJ Inno Pocket version. (From what I've seen).
    Last edited by DJWilson; 18-07-2017 at 04:21 PM.
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    I've been looking at them too. The only downside I see compared to the ADJ version is the very limited CA-8 controller.
    Biggest downside for me with the ADJ is a 12w light source.

Biggest downside for me with the ADJ is a 12w light source.
    We had a lighting comparison & demo night.. the inno pocket spots on show there were indiscernable from my (allegedly) 35W LED movers. The pocket spots will always seem brighter than the inno pocket rolls though, because the light isn't being split so many ways. I love my 4 little mini movers (KAM gobotracer) to bits. Literally. I've had half of them in pieces on my kitchen table since I bought them - fixing the blighters. Blinking KAM - no wonder they went to the wall with build quality like that. Rrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    We had a lighting comparison & demo night.. the inno pocket spots on show there were indiscernable from my (allegedly) 35W LED movers.
    Not only can you not hear Watts, you can't see the little blighters either! Two different light sources of equivalent power usage may have wildly varying lumen outputs. The 25w Acme dynamic range I mentioned earlier seemed to my untrained eye to match my old 250w Spin 3s.

I accept unreservedly my colleague's assertion that the numbers on the box are no direct indication of the brightness of the gobo on the floor.

All sorts of things can account for variances in brightness. The 12W LED powered inno pocket stuff absolutely trounced my old 25W led scanners.

Here's why: optics quality isn't always the same. Better lenses & mirrors don't absorb as much light. But I think the biggest difference in light output comes simply from the LEDs themselves. A CREE 12W LED of today can easily beat a 30W LED from a different manufacturer which is slightly older. Efficiency of LEDs is being improved all the time (meaning more output in smaller packages which waste less energy as heat).

What you need to look for is the light output in LUMEN for any given fixture. Tip: if the manufacturer doesn't quote lumens, IT'S A TOY. Well. Pretty much.

The KAM fixtures of mine originally retailed at nearly 200 quid a pop. Having seen inside the things there's no way I'd be happy if I'd paid that kind of money for them. Best build quality I've seen in budget kit so far: definitely a tie between ADJ & Chauvet - though when I bought my 2nd Quad Phase HP the 1st one had to be opened up to swap the red & white LED cables around. I always thought it odd the QPHP dmx colours went WHITE GREEN BLUE RED not RED GREEN BLUE WHITE

Regarding controlling this stuff there's no getting away from the fact that DMX is the only true way. Even if you're only setting program number & speed with faders.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 19-07-2017 at 10:03 AM.

I have a pair of ADJ Inno Pocket Scans and a pair of ADJ Inno Pocket Rolls that I have hard wired onto a T-Bar that I use in a (very) small room. They are ideal for t here as they are not blindingly bright and suffice for the job in hand.

For the larger of my two venues I have a pair of Chauvet 305 rolls and a pair of Chauvet 305 scans. These are seriously bright and, again completely satisfactory for the size of the room. The Innos would hopelessly inadequate in this one. I supplant these with a pair of ADJ X-Move 25's (on a CA-8) which I absolutely love to bits.

Not everything is on at the same time, I try to select which best fits during the night and change the effect from time to time.

And in the time honoured fashion of life in general, after taking advice from all of you, pondering the pros and cons of all the lights under consideration, and not rushing into a purchase, what happens the instant you make that decision?

Somebody brings out a new light which would have fitted the bill admirably on its own at less than £200. Fortunately, it's unlikely to hit the shelves before September, I believe, which is some consolation. Look out for the Equinox Shard.

And for good measure, one of the lights I discounted has not only been fed some very powerful steroids, and in large amounts. The Crossfire XP has a 56watt power increase over the standard Crossfire, tripling it's power output, and it lit the back wall of a venue even when the house lights were up.

Ah well.

Look out for the Equinox Shard.
    Got any info on that one Peter (links/specs).

I just Goooooogled it and all I can find is information on a pointy building in London