Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Ceremony Microphone

Default Ceremony Microphone

I have quite a few weddings coming up that are outdoors or in a barn and have been asked if it is possible to have a mic for the ceremony.

Simple question - how would you recommend to do this ?

Lapel Microphones are out as I do not fancy attaching anything to peoples clothes (especially a brides dress) and obviously need it to be as discreet as possible as do not want it in view of photos/videos.

Any suggestions ?
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I believe some folk have had success with a " shotgun mike ", Mr Neen in particular. Could be worth a call or email.
    Toby has talked about mikes for this purpose also.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I use a pair of mini shotguns (no bigger than an XLR plug) and a small 4 channel mixer with phantom power for the mics

I've seen occasions where the registrar/minister has been miked up and their mic can pick up the couple's voices. Or, if there is a lectern, then an omni-directional mic, like those used in conference calling applications, could be used.

Failing that you could take a tip from TV studios and use an overhead solution either suspended from the ceiling or on a boom arm.

My preference would be the one you ruled out straight away. I'd opt for lavalier (or lapel as you put it!) mic systems. I'd possibly go for a decent Line 6 system or something along the lines of the AKG C417 or the JTS 800DB system Linky .
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I've seen occasions where the registrar/minister has been miked up and their mic can pick up the couple's voices. Or, if there is a lectern, then an omni-directional mic, like those used in conference calling applications, could be used.

Failing that you could take a tip from TV studios and use an overhead solution either suspended from the ceiling or on a boom arm.

My preference would be the one you ruled out straight away. I'd opt for lavalier (or lapel as you put it!) mic systems. I'd possibly go for a decent Line 6 system or something along the lines of the AKG C417 or the JTS 800DB system Linky .
    I am just not comfortable attaching a mic to a person.

Cheers for the different options, my son is studying TV & Film Production at college so I am hoping he might be able to help too, and hopefully will already have the equipment needed
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I believe some folk have had success with a " shotgun mike ", Mr Neen in particular. Could be worth a call or email.
    Toby has talked about mikes for this purpose also.
    I have done a fair few now, and not messed one up (yet). Back up mics are the key!! At least two ideally 3 on two different systems.

Mostly I have mic'd up the registra (they are more used to this nowadays). Put it on their collar rather than on their notepad, as it will be knocked and bumped about. Use a condenser shotgun mic for the B&G, but the registra does not the talking, so they are key. Depends on the venue tbh. Reliable wireless is very handy and you need decent wind mufflers!! A big foam one for the lapel and something resembling a dead hamster for the larger ones. For a big wedding outside, I would probably do a Lapel on registra, shotgun somewhere above (as they are in enclosed areas by law) or near to the B&G (as this acts as a back up for the registra) and possibly one under or on the table out of sight (usually in the floristry). a range of clamps, tape and table stands is handy, plus a new set of batteries regardless of how long you used them the last time). You may also want to add a handheld (with a foam thingy) on a stand for the reading, but make sure you know where the reader wants to stand as they may want to face the B&G. So in all 2-3 dual sets and a mixing desk are required. I spent quite some time and effort getting the right systems, so will leave that to other people to comment on.

In customary Toby style I have done a page and a video on this: http://yourdj.co.uk/ceremony-microphones/
    Last edited by yourdj; 30-04-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/