Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To claim or not to claim, that is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Just because it's in your Ts and Cs doesn't mean it's enforceable - in fact - you'd struggle to get a court to agree that you are owed four figures when the party has been cancelled and you haven't performed.
    Which is why I said technically

End of the day I could have been out earning that money somewhere else if I wasn't already booked by this client - would be interesting to see how it panned out if anyone ever did claim - you certainly hear of employees being handed out compo based on lost and potential future earnings...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    End of the day I could have been out earning that money somewhere else if I wasn't already booked by this client
    Agreed... personally I don't think the rules are that fair.

If you book a "one off" service like us, ie we can only do one event a day, then we should be entitled to a good percentage of the final fee, especially when turning away other bookings.

We could probably do with a decent "mobile dj" set of terms and conditions that are drawn up and shared between a number of DJs (as long as they are all able to agree on the contents), so that we're protected as best as possible - as is the client.

From what I've seen, most Ts and Cs being sent out aren't worth the paper their on. But Ts and Cs along with a deposit tend to deter most of the "opportunists" away. Hence why I tend to believe most cancellations when they've already paid a deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    It doesn't take a lot for a bride (and her pals, colleagues and their pals and their families and their aunts cats cousin) to really do you a number on social media: "So yeah my pals fiancé cheated on her and she broke off the wedding - now months later this "DJ" is harassing her with threatening letters asking for money when he didn't even do the gig!!!".... not a great look.
    I think we're a bit more paranoid about the social media threat than we need to be. If somebody writes:

"DJ didn't have our first dance and forgot to bring our playlist" or "The DJ wasn't very friendly and didn't like taking requests" then sure that'll scare potential clients away.

If it's along the lines of "we called off the wedding and he still wanted to be paid" you can easily reply with "Sorry, you did agree if you cancelled that you'd have to pay" and if they say "Rubbish DJ, rude, drunk, couldn't tell the difference between decks and cows backside" you can reply "I have no idea who you are, you've never booked my services".

Any sensible person will overlook those in my opinion.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I think we're a bit more paranoid about the social media threat than we need to be. If somebody writes:

"DJ didn't have our first dance and forgot to bring our playlist" or "The DJ wasn't very friendly and didn't like taking requests" then sure that'll scare potential clients away.

If it's along the lines of "we called off the wedding and he still wanted to be paid" you can easily reply with "Sorry, you did agree if you cancelled that you'd have to pay" and if they say "Rubbish DJ, rude, drunk, couldn't tell the difference between decks and cows backside" you can reply "I have no idea who you are, you've never booked my services".

Any sensible person will overlook those in my opinion.
    Thats assuming you're privvy to the communication. You could be slaughtered and never know any better.