Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Updating Playout

Default Updating Playout

Long time since I posted but I've always had sensible suggestions when i have!

I've been reluctant to update my set up has it's been stable, fit for purpose and like a comfy pair of shoes - but alas sound card drivers are not being updated, Numark librarian software is wobbly, things are creaking and I fear I'm slipping behind too much.

I use a MacBook pro with Algoriddim Djay 4 (pre pro version) Audio 2 External souncard to split the channels - Denon XN500 mixer and my backup is Numark D2 (plus of course active speakers)

I'm still using the mouse - no controller, so I feel i'm missing a trick - and thinking updating to Djay Pro version with matching basic controller, maybe iPad as backup.

My question is - when it comes to best sound quality, and flexibility whether its wise to consider still keeping the Mixer and just adding a controller and keeping the D2 - or to invest in a better quality controller with a good soundcard

I know i'm probably hopelessly out of touch with what regular DJs use these days - but for my needs I prefer a simple robust solution and reasonable ease of use over bells and whistles.

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Megamix

I'd go controller with the numark or ipad as backup. The ADj VMS4/5 are reasonably priced and well rated or the denon mc6000 mk 2 (or mk 1 can be gotten very cheap now) are a great all rounder. The mc6000 mk2 has been rock solid with a macbook and djay pro for me.

I would go for a decent controller That ideally controlls the same djay platform.
    As for sound quality, i use an ancient VCI300 and its spot on.

Go for a better brand controller would be my advice, one that works well with a microphone also.
    Having the mixer is dead handy though. I use one as a kind of preamp, but also plug in my mics and backup.

I would choose Denon or Pioneer personally (if I was to change), but there are so many now. Ipad and Djay is an excellent back up solution, assuming your happy using it live. I have duplicate MacBook and controller as I would not be happy not using the iPad all night. Great for a few tracks while I work out what the hell went wrong. Often its just something simple anyway unless the MacBook has gone caput.

At the end of the day if what you are using works for your application then stick with that. i am until something phenomenally better comes along.
    Last edited by yourdj; 04-05-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I shall give the comments due consideration

Excellent question. I'm a big controller fan, so would suggest looking at anything and everything. A lot of folk in positions like yours have gone for retaining the x500 as a priority. I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands soon, so a major upgrade of my backup is on the cards.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Excellent question. I'm a big controller fan, so would suggest looking at anything and everything. A lot of folk in positions like yours have gone for retaining the x500 as a priority. I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands soon, so a major upgrade of my backup is on the cards.

Funny enough I've been doing the same, mainly because the backup I use at the moment is just too big and bulky to keep lugging around.

So, I went shopping with our friends in Germany last week and purchased one of these.

It's not very big, and it's certainly not pretty. However, it runs entirely through the USB power so no external PSU to go wrong which in my book is a big plus.

Going to do some playing with it during the coming week. It's supposed to be mapped natively to VDJ but that doesn't appear to be the case at the moment so will need some tweaking methinks.

If I get on with it, I may well treat myself to a second one and have both in my main play-out - they'll sit side by side in a flight case with no problem. Could be a case of pre-wiring everything into one case and Bob's yer uncle

Seriously considering the Pioneer DDJ-SB2 or WeGo 4 - but will keep the mixer probably. DDJ-SB2 does look a bit more professional than the WeGo - and if nothing else i will look the part!