Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for ideas

Default Looking for ideas

OK ladies and gentlemen - I need inspiration.

Below - last night's rig (excuse the flight cases in the background - I hadn't tidied away at the point I took this photo).

Name:  18301910_1768367690052280_7750404113303801838_n.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  53.2 KB

I'm looking to move away from the overhead type fixtures (i.e. the power bar behind the rig) and put some sort of wash effect onto the speaker poles...so I'm open to ideas. The Intimidator 305s provide more than enough of an overhead effect.

I have a couple of the Showtec battens, but they're too long. I also don't like the way the colour mixing happens on them either (you can see the different coloured LEDs when it mixes white for instance).

So - what's out there?

They need to be no longer than a couple of feet in length (as you can see, I don't run the tops overly high up in the air - there's only about 2 1/2 feet between sub and top) and ideally need to have nice colour mixing (along the lines of the MegaTriPar for example where it's a true multicoloured LED module instead of trying to mix several different ones if that makes sense).

Oh - and they need to be DMX-able.

Incidentially, I have played with Megatripars on the poles and they don't look right to my mind. It needs to be something bigger and I think probably a bar of some sort.

No recommendations of those horrible jelly dome things either please - I can't stand that effect

So - hit me with some ideas and I'll go have a look and probably spend some money

Nice set up. But I agree, the Powerbar does let it down a bit - it looks a bit random at the back.

I've got a 'similar' looking set up to you, but without the truss stands. I've put my wash lighting effect next to the 305 barrel - so there's 2 light fixtures on each upright.

I'm not sure a wash effect on the speaker poles is high enough - I aimed to get my wash effect as high up as possible so it would point down on the dancefloor, rather than straight in to guests' faces.

IMHO wash lights for the dancefloor are best high up - the higher the better to avoid dazzling people & the party/giga bar is a good way to achieve that. Mounting stuff on speaker stands (or above speakers) can be pulled off if done sensitively (i've yet to discover quite how to do it with my kit) & I'm not convinced that wash at or below head height is effective beyond one row of dancers.

The only compelling evidence I've seen where there's been no overhead wash is from DJs who use mid sized movers (think Chauvet 355 & up) on 1.5m plinths. I don't think enough people use wash lighting full stop & it'd be a shame to get rid of it.

All good points - thanks for the input.

BTW - normally I have two of the Partybars going, one either side of the rig for symmetry....it's just a pain with two more tripods up (and sorry but I use black scrims on those because I don't like bare tripods).

I've got a pair of ADJ VBAR PAK's turning up tomorrow which would appear to fit what I was talking about....either on the speaker poles or indeed on the uprights as Gavin suggested. Will try them out on Saturday night (I'll take the Partybars just in case) and see how it looks/works.

Another thread coming up though.....the Retro Roadshow is possibly about to get an overhaul

One thing I always try to do with wash is (if available) bounce the light off nearby light coloured surfaces. I remember reading in The DJ's Handbook (Roy Sheppard) before I even gigged in public that many DJs neglect the virtues of reflected light & the tip has stayed with me since.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    One thing I always try to do with wash is (if available) bounce the light off nearby light coloured surfaces. I remember reading in The DJ's Handbook (Roy Sheppard) before I even gigged in public that many DJs neglect the virtues of reflected light & the tip has stayed with me since.
    That's what I tend to do anyway.

I usually run the Partybars to run two PARs to surfaces such as walls and ceilings, and two to the dance floor (preferably without reflecting on my laptop screens). Running them to ceilings usually fills the entire room - it's an effect I'm well chuffed with because they're so bright.

I'm happy with the wash effect I get from those two...just looking for more ways to minimise the amount of kit I have to setup and break down if that makes sense (it's a mission to get a 30 minute setup!)

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Yes, when I am in the small room (and I mean small), I point my Chauvet Wash FX up at the ceiling and let it reflect back down and around the room. I don't blind the guests and, more to it, with a mirror on the opposite wall, don't blind myself!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Yes, when I am in the small room (and I mean small), I point my Chauvet Wash FX up at the ceiling and let it reflect back down and around the room. I don't blind the guests and, more to it, with a mirror on the opposite wall, don't blind myself!!
    Oh yeah those WashFX lights are a wee bit bright & can be harsh. Mine lives behind the scrim on my booth most of the time these days & even then it's dimmed down to about 50%

The VBAR PAKs have just arrived - my God they're bright little things!

I can't quiet believe them. Two fixtures complete with padded bag and RC unit - for £179!

These are definitely going to be mounted on the uprights underneath the 305's for this weekend's gig (it's only a small room so don't need too much light anyway). Plus the way the poles are fixed to the back of the Elite booth they'll point slightly upwards as well.

I'm actually wondering seeing the size of them whether mounting them on top of the speakers is an option - I think it'd work quite well.

Just need to get them programmed into the light shows now.....play time

First time out with the VBAR PAKS tonight

TINY little room in a Cambridge college - all oak panelled and very, VERY dark (glad the ceiling was white - that's where the main PARs were pointed).
    So, I put the VBARs on the speaker poles just to give a little light on the floor. I'm impressed!

They're next out on Thursday in another very dark venue (it's a black starlit marquee and I'm on a stage), so they'll be on the speaker poles again...they seem to work very well there

Name:  IMG_2094.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  41.4 KB