Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Controlling lights from within VDJ but not using Freestyler? Yes please!

Default Controlling lights from within VDJ but not using Freestyler? Yes please!

I've been lending a hand with developing a plugin for Virtual DJ which can output Artnet to control lightshow programs (such as QLC+ which I've been using for yonks now). It's pretty much finished & may soon be appearing in VDJ8's plugin list in beta form.

While waiting for that to happen I've been taking it out to gigs & giving it a darn good thrashing.. and when I'm not gigging I've been busily making light scenes, putting those scenes into chasers & putting those chasers into chasers...

... with some not very unsubtle results...

Oh yeah & there's going to be a few nice vids about how to get the best of out the plugin and do some nifty programming in QLC+. At some point.

NB This isn't my actual lighting rig, just bits from it. 2x KAM Gobotracer, 1x ADJ Quad Phase HP & 1x Equinox Gigabar
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 09-05-2017 at 01:16 AM.

I had a quick look at QLC+ - haven't got into it properly yet (I currently use LightKey which costs a fortune in licensing each year but just "works" and that's my current priority)

However - I like the look of what you've done (you may remember I was looking for a way to program individual tracks from cue points a long while ago....)

Does the plugin work on a Mac though or is it PC only?

If there's a Mac version...would you mind possibly letting me have a copy to play with? (believe me...I could give it one hell of a thrashing!)

***UPDATE****

Apparently LightKey supports Art-Net - so very interested if you've got a Mac version of the plugin available to test
    Last edited by Imagine; 09-05-2017 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I had a quick look at QLC+ - haven't got into it properly yet (I currently use LightKey which costs a fortune in licensing each year but just "works" and that's my current priority)

However - I like the look of what you've done (you may remember I was looking for a way to program individual tracks from cue points a long while ago....)

Does the plugin work on a Mac though or is it PC only?

If there's a Mac version...would you mind possibly letting me have a copy to play with? (believe me...I could give it one hell of a thrashing!)

***UPDATE****

Apparently LightKey supports Art-Net - so very interested if you've got a Mac version of the plugin available to test
    Yeah there's a Mac version. I'll drop you a PM with a link to a downloadable.

Hurrah!

I've only used Freestyler because it came with a Virtual DJ plugin.

Maybe now I can finally get away from it and use something a bit better!

Will check out QLC+!

I've tried freestyler more than once & didn't get much further than the fixture editor. QLC+ just seems much more logical to me

I got there with it in the end.

But it's not easy to go and edit sequences once set up, and in general is a bit of a faff! And certainly couldn't produce sequences like you demonstrated on your video.

I've recently discovered LightKey and it does everything I want at the moment.

Going to investigate QLC+ though because I like the idea of being able to sequence to cue points....a LOT (plus QLC+ is my favourite price - LightKey costs an annual license)

I like the idea of being able to sequence to cue points....a LOT
    I've been able to do this with Virtual DJ/Freestyler and it makes a huge difference (to me - the punters probably never notice!)

https://www.facebook.com/FreestyleEn...7583844524758/

Well I've learned something today. I absolutely HATE QLC+ (it's horrible )

That said, LightKey which I currently use appears to accept ART-NET so may be able to do something there......

Nerd hat on....time to start playing

Well I've learned something today. I absolutely HATE QLC+ (it's horrible )

That said, LightKey which I currently use appears to accept ART-NET so may be able to do something there......

Nerd hat on....time to start playing
    I'm willing to forgive QLC+ a lot on account of its price & the fact I'm not tied in to using any particular DMX hardware. ADJ keep adding features to MyDMX but oh what's that? I've got to buy a new box? off!