Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friday's playlist

Default Friday's playlist

I've just received this from my Hotel residency.

The bride went in today for their final meeting and handed this list over to the Wedding Co-ordinator. Bear in mind that I am not able to contact the B&G in advance (unless they contact me first) and that my request list hand out that I provide the hotel with does ask for 28 days notice (not TWO).

I've no idea whether I'm to play these strictly in order or whether I can mix them up or what. I have e-mailed the wedding co-ordinator but I bet I get a reply telling me to do what I can and what I think is best.

First songs: (but not having a first dance, just invite everyone up please)

Salted Wound – Sia
    Haunted - Beyonce
    Cant take my eyes of you - Lauren Hill

(I don't have any of the above)

THEN IN TO DEDICATIONS: please say who theyre dedicated to

Lets stay together – Tina Turner - (Dedicated to Phil and Jessica)
    Grow Old with me – Tom Odele (Dedicated to Emma and Will)
    Out Loud – Ed Sheeran (Dedicated to Carly and Olly)
    All night long – lionel Ritchie (dedicated to Carly)
    Always be my baby (Dedicated to Jessica)
    Pony - Ginuwine (dedicated to the hen do girls)
    Bang Bang – Jessie J Ariane Grande (Dedicated to Joseph)
    Music make you lose control - Missy Elliot ft. Ciara & Fat man scoop (dedicated to Carly)
    We no speak Americano – Yo landa be cool & D Cup (Dedicated to Leanne and Dave)
    Billie Jean - Michael Jackson (dedication to Jason)
    Dance with somebody – Whitney Houston (dedicated to Jane)
    Paid my dues - Anastacia (dedicated to Jessica)
    Rhythm of the night – Corona (dedicated to Amy)
    Day N night – Cudi - (dedicated to Sadie)
    Baby I like it - Enrique Englesias (Dedicated to Dave)
    Turn down for what - DJ Snake, Lil John (dedicated to Olly)
    Queen of the night - Whitney Houston (Dedicated to Jane)

General playlist, please play ALL the songs listed at some point in the night (We'd prefer it if you didnt play anything but R'N'B and Hiphop but ill try and put up with the odd request from guests haha (They don't think much of their other guests then)

Soulja Boy Tell'em - Crank That
    Shake – ying yang twins Feat pit bull
    Don’t cha – pussy cat dolls
    Work it - Missy Elliot
    1, 2 Step ft. Missy Elliot - Ciara
    Touch it – busta rhymes
    Nasty Girl - The Notorious BIG
    Temperature – sean paul
    Get busy – sean paul
    Get low – elephant man & busta rhymes
    X gon give to ya – DMX
    Oh ft. Ludacris - Ciara
    Goodies – Ciara
    Black street -Ni diggity ft. Dr Dre
    Pon de river pon de bank - elephant man & busta rhymes
    Check on it ft bun B – beyonce, slim thug
    711 – Beyonce
    Run the world – Beyonce
    Naughty girl – Beyonce
    Baby boy – Beyonce & sean paul
    End of time – Beyonce
    Sorry - Beyonce
    Crazy in love - Beyonce and Jay Z
    Shape of you - Ed Sheeran
    Love on top - Beyonce
    Party up – DMX
    Tipsy-club mix – j-kwon
    Ain’t nobody – rufus & shaka kahn
    Formation - Beyonce
    Talk Dirty – Jason Derulo
    Shake your tamberine – eve
    Anaconda - Niki Minaj
    Get Low - Flo Rida
    Yeh! ft Lil John, Ludacris - Usher
    Lollipop ft Static - Lil Wayne
    Tell Me - Diddy (feat. Christina Aguilera)
    Terror Squad - Lean Back ft. Fat Joe, Remmy
    Swalla - Jason Derulo Ft. Niki Minaj & Ty Dolla
    Oh my gosh - Usher
    Give it up to me - Sean Paul Ft. Keyshia Cole
    Shake your pom pom - Missy Elliot

If you could play all those, that would be AMAZING!! It sure would!!!!!
    Thank you so much

I think I might just make up a play list and bugger off for three hours.

I hate it when the booker just wants their own songs and bugger everyone else. Never works. Although at least the first batch of that list is for guests I suppose.

Sounds like a potential disaster to me, but I've seen stranger lists work, it all depends on their guests.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

It's part and parcel of taking on a hotel residency.

Sadly, because you're "included in the package", the bride and groom haven't made any investment in you, so they have no desire to "value" your services.

The only way to avoid this is to not be a resident DJ, and accept bookings from people who choose you to perform at your wedding. Yes, it's much harder work, as you have to market yourself and get bookings, but people are then choosing to book you because they like what you do.

If I was a resident DJ, I'd follow their request for music as closely as possible. Otherwise, there's a risk of negative feedback for ignoring their requests.

I've been resident there for 15 years and, thank goodness, these are very few and far between. I have had a couple where the list simply goes out of the window (with or without permission) as it just killed the night.

I will make some comments that the music has been pre-chosen by the bride and groom and, if asked for requests, politely refuse, citing this.

I would never ignore a bride and groom's wishes like this, no matter how much I know that it is unlikely to provide much of a "party" atmosphere and likely to drive several guests home early.

Yes, it's hard work being a resident and relying on others, but it does have its benefits (and, for me anyway, it works).

That said, you just never know......

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    We'd prefer it if you didnt play anything but R'N'B and Hiphop

Soulja Boy Tell'em - Crank That
    Shake – ying yang twins Feat pit bull
    Don’t cha – pussy cat dolls
    Work it - Missy Elliot
    1, 2 Step ft. Missy Elliot - Ciara
    Touch it – busta rhymes
    Nasty Girl - The Notorious BIG
    Temperature – sean paul
    Get busy – sean paul
    Get low – elephant man & busta rhymes
    X gon give to ya – DMX
    Oh ft. Ludacris - Ciara
    Goodies – Ciara
    Black street -Ni diggity ft. Dr Dre
    Pon de river pon de bank - elephant man & busta rhymes
    Check on it ft bun B – beyonce, slim thug
    711 – Beyonce
    Run the world – Beyonce
    Naughty girl – Beyonce
    Baby boy – Beyonce & sean paul
    End of time – Beyonce
    Sorry - Beyonce
    Crazy in love - Beyonce and Jay Z
    Shape of you - Ed Sheeran
    Love on top - Beyonce
    Party up – DMX
    Tipsy-club mix – j-kwon
    Ain’t nobody – rufus & shaka kahn
    Formation - Beyonce
    Talk Dirty – Jason Derulo
    Shake your tamberine – eve
    Anaconda - Niki Minaj
    Get Low - Flo Rida
    Yeh! ft Lil John, Ludacris - Usher
    Lollipop ft Static - Lil Wayne
    Tell Me - Diddy (feat. Christina Aguilera)
    Terror Squad - Lean Back ft. Fat Joe, Remmy
    Swalla - Jason Derulo Ft. Niki Minaj & Ty Dolla
    Oh my gosh - Usher
    Give it up to me - Sean Paul Ft. Keyshia Cole
    Shake your pom pom - Missy Elliot
    The tracks are not death metal or anything very obscure, so I think you can pull it off, especially if she has a lot of guests of a similar age.

I had one for my residency that was 100% obscure metal and rock. I suggested a second 'safe list' and she complained to the wedding manager, whom told me to do as she asks. I did that, with the 'there is a set list from the Bride and groom' announcement and no one danced other than her and a few friends all night.

I think a meeting with the hotel manager is required, I would not be happy in that situation. Residency package clients from my own experience tend to be quite lazy and are technically not paying for your services directly, so often don't care as much, so they sometimes need to be talked into a meeting, even if its on Skype. Makes life so much easier on the night.

As you say if you say thats what they want then guests will hopefully respect their musical tastes and get involved. I have had a few metal wedding last year and people join in depite not really liking the genre. If they don't then they will blame the B&G and not you, so its just a case of trying your best I guess?? I have had so many functions where I have looked at a list and thought 'oh my god' but its turned into the best weddings ever.

Having said that, I bet on the day she will not mind as much, she is just imagining a crap cheesy DJ. You can inject funk, soul, chart and noughts hits into that list and even out the genre a bit. I would have a chat at the start with her and see where the boundaries lie? Perhaps she would be fine with more respectable party tracks like billie jean etc.

I had a very strange bride whisper to the band 'the DJ is over there, but DJ's are crap'. I excelled and was better than the band and i heard her agree at the end that the DJ was good (amazing when clients don't think you are listening). very rare for me but I avoided her all night, even the wedding manager said she was a bitch. Do your job as well as you can and get out is my thinking in those situations LOL.

However if she does only want that music then you could find yourself in trouble if she complains. I tend to play as many tracks as possible, video first dance and hands in the air moments, just to be sure. Only had one complaint in 9 years and I had a photo of the bride and all her family on the floor with their hands in the air LOL. I think the guests request comment is a bit tongue and cheek and she will be fine on the night. I don't think that set is too bad to be fair. The old school R&B set is well popular with all ages, assuming you can mix in a few of your own as well, to lighten the genre a little.
    Last edited by yourdj; 11-05-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Bit of a disaster. The first three compulsory songs didn't happen, for a variety of reasons, mainly to do with the bride, until 9.30. Then, the list of dedicated songs, which at least I persuaded the bride to let me play in my own order (grouped by similarity, rather than a random list) would have worked if some of the dedicatees hadn't gone home!!

I only had two "complaints" regarding me not playing other types of music, but when I duly explained it was the brides choices, the response, "oh, she's told you what to play then" from both, led me to believe that she was a control freak. I later found out that she had provided the venue with a timed running order (from 6am - get up onwards) which actually disagreed with the hotels'own version.

The remainder of her requests, I grouped together myself and it sort of worked, but I would estimate that teh bride danced on her own for approx 25% of the time.

Then, at 1215, the groom came to me and asked me to play a couple of songs from the 70's and "they will get up and dance". Is the bride OK with this I asked. Don't worry he said, I'll sort it. Brave man!!

So Barry White & Billy Ocean made an appearance followed by Chaka Khan which, she told me was her most favourite song. She did insist on choosing the last song though. Something by Beyonce. By then I was packing away.

Eventually home and in bed for 2.25 with a 5.30 get up for a trip to the airport and a flight to Newquay. Via Cardiff Airport for a "medical emergency". 90 minutes delay, but at least its let me knt watch the rain come down for 90 minutes.

Oh well, there's always next week. If the flight back is on time!!!

Sounds like you did what you needed to do - ultimately you kept to the Bride's requests - she can't complain.

At least it's out of the way - onwards and upwards

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Sounds like you did what you needed to do - ultimately you kept to the Bride's requests - she can't complain.

At least it's out of the way - onwards and upwards
    Agreed. Well done that man.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

She did tell me three times that I was "amazing for what I was doing" and that she loved the music.

At the end of the night she simply walked out. Didn't say thank you or goodbye to me, the function manager, the bar staff or any of her guests!

Groom and a few friends stayed talking in the bar for 20 minutes or so afterwards.