Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chauvet FX Par 9

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Chauvet FX Par 9

Another thing I saw at BPM and thought to myself "I'm havin' that!"

Actually, that's not true. At first, I thought it looked absolute crap. Then I was given a chance to programme it and I started to get a feel for what it can do. As a result, I bought 4 of them to replace my moving head wash effects.

9 RGB+UV LEDs around the outside which you can individually control across three zones, 21 strobe LEDs and a central COB LED. The fixture is ridiculously bright, and I think is a great combination of a wash and effect light, and when programmed right, it's actually quite pretty to look at.

Not bad for less than £140 each.

Have you got a video of them DMX'd?

I think they're a really cool light. I don't have any use for them personally as I'm happy with my current light set up, but a bank of those controlled properly gives you quite a wide range of effects, and can provide some nice effects around the booth on the light itself. Difficult to describe but almost like how the old lightboxes used to look. Most lights these days don't provide any "look" when you look at the light itself.

Am I making any sense trying to explain myself lol?!!!

If I were to have a second "basic, small compact system", these would be on the shopping list.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Have you got a video of them DMX'd?
    Well this weekend I've set it all up in the back garden to get some programming done (I did have a better plan than that, but couldn't find an available room big enough in such a short time).

Last night was a short session as I was freezing my nads off, so I did a follow up session today but the glorious sunshine didn't help! Long/short of it is that my programming is done, and hopefully it'll just need a bit of refinement which I can do the next time I'm working. Will try and get a video done soon though.

I've been lamenting Chauvet's discontinuation of the WashFX for a while now & was hoping to see something suitable to replace it. Can't think how I missed this at BPM mind..

Anyway I think 2 of these would do me fine - I'm planning on doing away with my Equinox gigabar wash soon - it's just far too much most of the time & it spends most of its life dimmed to DMX 127 or so.

A good vid showing the FXpar 9 BTW:

- - - Updated - - -

I've been lamenting Chauvet's discontinuation of the WashFX for a while now & was hoping to see something suitable to replace it. Can't think how I missed this at BPM mind..

Anyway I think 2 of these would do me fine - I'm planning on doing away with my Equinox gigabar wash soon - it's just far too much most of the time & it spends most of its life dimmed to DMX 127 or so.

A good vid showing the FXpar 9 BTW:

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Well this weekend I've set it all up in the back garden to get some programming done (I did have a better plan than that, but couldn't find an available room big enough in such a short time).

Last night was a short session as I was freezing my nads off, so I did a follow up session today but the glorious sunshine didn't help! Long/short of it is that my programming is done, and hopefully it'll just need a bit of refinement which I can do the next time I'm working. Will try and get a video done soon though.

OOohhh...initial response to Gavin's "it's like an old fashioned light box" comment resulted in Pinot Grigio being spattered on the laptop screen from this end (sorry...two very different technologies...take it from me whilst trying to convert my Retro Roadshow to LED and the customer comments I've received).

But....seeing these mounted on trusses......somebody pass the tissues please

I've got a collection of 1m and 2m truss podiums which rarely go out these days (because every Sid in the area has saved up his pocket money and got a set from FleaBay). I'm now seriously tempted with these.

Not looked at the specs (yet) - how controllable are they? i.e. can you do a first dance on static colours? Are they bright enough to fill a hall which will hold say 200 people?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    OOohhh...initial response to Gavin's "it's like an old fashioned light box" comment resulted in Pinot Grigio being spattered on the laptop screen from this end
    I know - it was the best analogy I could find. Obviously they aren't the light boxes (I'm just old enough to have had 4 of them in the very first disco), but I can't think of any lights around at the moment that show movement on the light itself

On another note, these are also worth considering for the same style effect: https://www.chauvetdj.com/products/fxpar-3/

If anything - the 3 gives more options with the smaller LEDs for "movement" programming. Although slightly less bright from the main LEDs (3 x 8w rather than 9 x 4w).

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Not looked at the specs (yet) - how controllable are they? i.e. can you do a first dance on static colours? Are they bright enough to fill a hall which will hold say 200 people?
    The video that Justin put up is a good indicator of how well they can light up a room. I don't see any reason why a couple of these wouldn't brighten a room easily. I've actually created a scene for the sole purpose of being stage blinders, so they are really bright.

As for how controllable they are, the short answer is very if you are using DMX. You can DMX using 3, 6, 9 or 23 channels with the latter offering you lots of flexibility on controlling the outer three zones, SMD LEDs and the COB LED - all of which can be controlled independently.

In terms of control, my frustration with the Wash FX was the lack of "fade" when trying to dim the lights - they flashed well, but didn't do nice fades.

Can you do nice slow colour wash fades on this unit?

Yes. It's actually very good at that. I created a scene yesterday that I've wanted to do for so long, but my moving head washes restricted me.

In terms of control, my frustration with the Wash FX was the lack of "fade" when trying to dim the lights - they flashed well, but didn't do nice fades.

I run a nice slow fading rainbow chase on my WashFX without any problems (in the maximum channels DMX mode). I've seen what the WashFX does in S2L & it ain't pretty. A few people I've spoke to about them have said they were great, but so so limited & I'd tend to agree with them. If the FX Par 9 is similar enough in brightness these will be my next lighting purchase.