Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chauvet FX Par 9

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I run a nice slow fading rainbow chase on my WashFX without any problems (in the maximum channels DMX mode). I've seen what the WashFX does in S2L & it ain't pretty. A few people I've spoke to about them have said they were great, but so so limited & I'd tend to agree with them. If the FX Par 9 is similar enough in brightness these will be my next lighting purchase.
    Would love to see a video of that - I was never able to achieve the fade I wanted and always ran it in DMX... it seemed the fade curve was a bit strange, where it'd barely dim as you pulled down the from 255 down to about 50 - and then it'd very quickly disappear after that. So was hard to achieve a smooth fade in Freestyler - was always a bit "sharp".

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Would love to see a video of that - I was never able to achieve the fade I wanted and always ran it in DMX... it seemed the fade curve was a bit strange, where it'd barely dim as you pulled down the from 255 down to about 50 - and then it'd very quickly disappear after that. So was hard to achieve a smooth fade in Freestyler - was always a bit "sharp".
    Ah well I dunno if you've noticed with yours, but mine really doesn't like being videoed.. it flickers like hell on all the cameras I have at my disposal

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Yes. It's actually very good at that. I created a scene yesterday that I've wanted to do for so long, but my moving head washes restricted me.
    I sort of take this back. When it fades from colour to colour, it is as smooth as a baby's backside.

From blackout into a full beam, it is a little bit jittery. Maybe I noticed it more after staring at it for ages, but it is there. Mrs. Benny didn't notice it and still couldn't after I pointed it out.

Finally got into a function room what I could a quick video of the FX Par 9s in action before the gusts arrive.

Here's a quick little light show.

There was also a question of how smoothly they transfer from one colour to another, so I recorded this to show that.

Disclaimer: Crap videos.

Finally got into a function room what I could a quick video of the FX Par 9s in action before the gusts arrive.

Here's a quick little light show.

There was also a question of how smoothly they transfer from one colour to another, so I recorded this to show that.

Disclaimer: Crap videos.
    My concern with these types of wash fixtures is that they're just too damn bright. I've got a bunch of LEDJ 7q5's and I've noticed the same issue when fading from full on to nothing (no visible difference when fading down to about 50 then down to nothing in that last bit). I've got a theory that you can't see the fade because you're looking directly at the lights during testing and they're effectively saturating our vision When you look into the room away from the lights the difference is noticeable (as is a change in colour when mixing).

They definitely saturated your camera at points in the vid, I can't imagine what that would be like if I was stood on the dance floor?

Very careful positioning and programming required I notice one of the manufacturers have launched a combination Spot, Wash and FX moving head this week (can't remember the name of it now, I'll have to Google to find it)
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Well. Benny that's some very nice programming indeed. I think the FX Pars aren't what's blinding the camera though - that's almost definitely one or more of your movers catching it right in the lens. Probably means the FX Pars are bright enough for a general dancefloor wash - and I've been looking for something to one day replace my gigabar. A couple of these would probably do a fair job for most my gigs

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Well. Benny that's some very nice programming indeed. I think the FX Pars aren't what's blinding the camera though - that's almost definitely one or more of your movers catching it right in the lens. Probably means the FX Pars are bright enough for a general dancefloor wash - and I've been looking for something to one day replace my gigabar. A couple of these would probably do a fair job for most my gigs
    Cheers, Justin. As for probably being bright enough, well...

Four of them washed that room out. I suspect that two would have done the job, to be fair.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 19-06-2017 at 07:49 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    My concern with these types of wash fixtures is that they're just too damn bright.
    As is mine. At recent dealer nights at Liversedge, almost all lights demoed seemed to be designed to blind as many people as possible, as comprehensively as possible.
    I can foresee guests turning up at gig wearing welder's face masks!

Benny, I'm seriously impressed with that piccy.

I mean, Lon Chaney Jr as your roadie..................................
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I notice one of the manufacturers have launched a combination Spot, Wash and FX moving head this week (can't remember the name of it now, I'll have to Google to find it)
    What be this light?

The last one I saw that achieved this is the excellent Intimidator Trio from Chauvet... will be interesting if there's a competitor to that that's been produced...

Could be the new thing from Equinox. Saturn, I think they're calling it.