Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microphone questions

If you want to do Karaoke properly, take a look at something like this:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/digital-m...-xr12-mix-rack

It comes with processing on each channel - meaning you can properly eq, compress and reverb each channel (each mic)

You'll find the gate and compression will really help with levelling out each singer's volume.

For the price, and the functionality, it's a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    You can easily carry on using the 6000 with karaoke, just run every mic from the Live mixer, and feed the 6000 into a tape input.
    And to contradict Excalibur, I'd run the MC6000 in to the live mixer, and take your feed from the live mixer in to your amp/speakers.

You can easily carry on using the 6000 with karaoke, just run every mic from the Live mixer, and feed the 6000 into a tape input. That means you only use the faders on the 6000, and don't have any on the live mixer to get confused with.
    Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

And to contradict Excalibur, I'd run the MC6000 in to the live mixer, and take your feed from the live mixer in to your amp/speakers.
    You're not contradicting, you're misunderstanding. I thought that's exactly what I'd suggested, but evidently something got lost in translation.

Connect the live mixer to the speakers. Plug all the microphones into the live mixer. Plug the 6000 output into a tape input on the live mixer. That stops you having an extra fader to contend with, which can be confusing. That's usually how I do it.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

You're not contradicting, you're misunderstanding. I thought that's exactly what I'd suggested, but evidently something got lost in translation.
    You're absolutely right! I mis-read what you had written!!

IMHO the last thing you want to do on a karaoke mic channel is compress it - you stand a risk of vastly reducing the gain you can achieve before feedback.

I've said this to kara operators before & I'll say it again - it's their own stupid fault if they can't use a mic properly - if they hold it too far away (like they see on telly where it's a dummy handheld) it won't pick up loudly enough.

Now as for levels - you really do need a 'proper' mic mixer for more than 2 mics where you're not dealing with competent mic users.

Other points to note about most radio mic receivers - they don't usually output MIC level & are much nearer line level - so plugging them into a mic input.. erm.... Some can be turned down to be nearer mic level without problems - my KAM KWM1960 mk2 can be turned down for sure but as you turn it down towards 1 the audio starts to become lost in background hiss.

Just come across this mixer today.

4 x mic channels, each with basic compression on each channel

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/analogue-...d-studio-mixer

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    IMHO the last thing you want to do on a karaoke mic channel is compress it - you stand a risk of vastly reducing the gain you can achieve before feedback.
    When set properly, compression is a massive help.

I don't do karaoke, but I do a lot of wedding speeches.

I use a LOT of compression on the mic. That way, as the mic gets moved about closer and further away from the mouth, the volume stays pretty much the same. Never get an issue with feedback, as I set all the levels before any guests enter the room. I know what my maximum gain is before feedback kicks in.

For karaoke, it'll help push out those peaks and just smooth everything out a bit.

If the speakers are set up properly, feedback shouldn't be an issue, especially if using decent mics with a fairly narrow pick up.

Just come across this mixer today.

4 x mic channels, each with basic compression on each channel

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/analogue-...d-studio-mixer
    I have this mixer (the non USB version) and use it for ceremonies (usually use 2 mics, but sometimes 3) as well as the smaller Behringer one. Alto do a similar one, probably made in the same factory? They are amazing for the money and dead handy. Don't think I would go back to using the controller for mics as its easier having it all wired up in my electrics box. Plus having a seperate line for the back up is dead handy if the controller goes down. Also adds a bit of pre amp for the LD Dave, which seriously improves the sound. just makes the whole system more punchy and not far off some of my DJ's £3000+ systems!!

The Beringers are fine for karaoke, although the power supply is unusual and you will need 2 of them just in case (£30 each - worth getting a second hand smaller mixer for the same price - backup too). If I wanted to replace this mixer i would certainly go for a mackie one as i have the 402 and its fantastic in comparison to the . The sound quality is amazing and its worth the extra money. I think they do a cheaper new version, but this series is the one I use?

Name:  A1HWY5XvxgS._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  630343000000000-00-500x500.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  51YaZqCWomL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  32.9 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 30-12-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Actually on reflection, I want to downgrade my mixer to a smaller mackie one to fit my mic box better as i only usually use 2 mics, so if interested let me know. I have only every used it for ceremonies and its been in the case for its whole life so its in near new 'demo' type condition. I put some tape over the LED's as they are super bright and it has one random knob missing.

Name:  26175829_1727735143938437_1024790708_n.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  55.5 KB

I would get a spare power supply. I also have a smaller mixer with a power supply that i can sell if you like??

Name:  26197288_1727739547271330_925813278_n.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  38.6 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 30-12-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Thanks for all the comments, missed these since my latest purchase.

I've gone for a Behringer XENYX 1622USB, which seems to do the job nicely, sound quality seems quite good from my initial test too.

Going to get it cased up and prewired with the Chords, and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    I've gone for a Behringer XENYX 1622USB
    Looks great - a little bit of compression added and some reverb (all built in to the mixer), and you'll have a half decent sound coming out.

Looks great - a little bit of compression added and some reverb (all built in to the mixer), and you'll have a half decent sound coming out.
    Yup, that's what I liked about it, compression and effects, at the right price. Hopefully this will sort everything out.

Just pondering whether if its worth including the multicom for it's gate feature to remove handling noises etc, or simply use the mixers.