Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well that was disheartening

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Well that was disheartening

Had a call from a potential client this morning, and one of the questions that they've asked me is whether I DJ full time, and how important do I think it is that DJs have this as their only job without relying on a secondary income.

I've been asked stuff like this before, and I always bat it away by saying that it doesn't matter if someone is full time or performs as a DJ as a supplementary income - what's important is how good they are, and the level of service that they provide. I tell them that as long as the have found a DJ who they have resonated with and are confident that he can do a grand job, then what he does 9-5 shouldn't factor into it. After this, the enquirer informs me that they spoke to a (and this is how they described him because, apparently, this is how he referred to himself) 'Weekend Warrior'

I know what you're thinking - I had they exact same adjective in my head too!

According to the Warrior, those who DJ full time do not have the financial capacity to maintain a high level of service and production values and because they do this full time, they become numb and disgruntled to it all much faster than part timers. It was at this point, I said aloud the adjective in my head - preceded by "He sounds like a".

It's nearly 17 years that I've been doing this now, and it still grates against me that there are DJs that are 'me against the world'. Miserable gits

As for the client, I suspect that I won't get the gig. I was asked if I'd be willing to shave my beard for the big day as the bride to be really doesn't like facial hair on men.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    As for the client, I suspect that I won't get the gig. I was asked if I'd be willing to shave my beard for the big day as the bride to be really doesn't like facial hair on men.
    I've recently been turning down people before I quote.

If I get a vibe from them that what they're looking for isn't what I do - especially a request like the above - I say "sorry, I'm not going to be the right fit for you, so I won't be quoting for your wedding".

It took time to get to that stage, but I much prefer to only take on gigs that are in line with the performance I provide.

According to the Warrior, those who DJ full time do not have the financial capacity to maintain a high level of service and production values and because they do this full time, they become numb and disgruntled to it all much faster than part timers. It was at this point, I said aloud the adjective in my head - preceded by "He sounds like a".

It's nearly 17 years that I've been doing this now, and it still grates against me that there are DJs that are 'me against the world'. Miserable gits
    I can see the positives and negatives to both "full time" and "weekend warrior". I've done both. And currently enjoying the "full time" far more.

How I managed to work 9-5 during the week and then DJ at the weekend amazes me. I now build up during the week getting ready for my Saturday outing - and can devote more time to it than ever before, in terms of prep and on the day itself.

Equally, a weekend warrior can often be cheaper - they're less financially reliant on it then a full-timer.

Your response was a fair response. The only thing I'd want to know as a bride, is what job the weekend warrior does - and does his contract have any stipulation about being called in "out of hours". I've seen a few weekend warriors who are in jobs where they can't guarantee they won't be called in to work at the weekend - that'd be quite worrying...
    Last edited by Excalibur; 06-06-2017 at 01:49 PM.

For most of my 50 years innings I had another string to my bow but I don't think it affected whether I was better or worse as a dj. Even when I was earning enough to be professional I chose to do other things.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

In the early days I was full time but I stepped back to part time when I needed a more consistent income and took on a full time day job. But I always ran the disco with a professional, customer-focused attitude. I've never slated other DJs on the grounds of whether they are full or part time - there are advantages to both and it's down to the individual to decide a working pattern that's best for them. I've only ever slated DJs for being shoddy!

I don't get potential client's attitudes when even asking this "are you full or part time" question. You're not going to be making yourself available to them for 37 hours of the week! What difference does it matter? You wouldn't ask a shop assistant or bus driver the same question! Can you imagine that? "I'm not getting on your bus because you only work 16 hours a week!". How crazy does that sound?
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I've only ever been asked it a few times and my standard answer is - No, I work in a school teaching children with complex and additional support needs.

They're usually reasonably impressed by that as it kind of points to the fact that I'm not a complete rocket.

I wouldn't let the other guy worry you - anyone running down another business is always going to come across as a bit of an..... and desperate compared to someone who gives off a professional vibe whilst not chasing the gig.

Had a call from a potential client this morning, and one of the questions that they've asked me is whether I DJ full time, and how important do I think it is that DJs have this as their only job without relying on a secondary income.

I've been asked stuff like this before, and I always bat it away by saying that it doesn't matter if someone is full time or performs as a DJ as a supplementary income - what's important is how good they are, and the level of service that they provide. I tell them that as long as the have found a DJ who they have resonated with and are confident that he can do a grand job, then what he does 9-5 shouldn't factor into it.
    An excellent, truthful and helpful answer Benny, well done.

More fools them. This place has taught me the incalculable benefits of working with people, not against them. We've had this debate about part/full time before, and it started off among very similar lines. Let's just say I don't think his argument holds water.

Whatever happened to customer service? And the next few witty ripostes have not been typed out, on grounds of taste and decency.
    Mind you Benny, with demands like that I'm unsure whether she wanted you to play music, or marry her.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I've recently been turning down people before I quote.

If I get a vibe from them that what they're looking for isn't what I do - especially a request like the above - I say "sorry, I'm not going to be the right fit for you, so I won't be quoting for your wedding".

It took time to get to that stage, but I much prefer to only take on gigs that are in line with the performance I provide.
    I applaud your morals, and like to think that I do likewise on occasion, but as long as I can provide something akin to their desires, I'm usually inclined to take their money.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I think rather than yourself, the DJ in question was more putting down the very cheap or unprofessional DJ's that see being a DJ as a bit of beer or holiday money. You could arguably say that full time DJ's will be very much less like this as they have to rely on their trade, but there must be a lot of part timers that have a similar attitude to myself and a flexible job that allows them time on a Friday to go home early, prepare & still get to a venue an hour before they need to, set up and be in the zone for the client.

I would guess that up to 90% of single op DJ's do it as a part time trade and most probably do an amazing job in relation to their cost and application. As per the other comments I tend to tell clients I am not suited if they said that, but that would be after seeing why they find it important. If it was on the basis of one other suppliers comment, then i would question their motives??

My next question would have been, 'what jobs do you do' as that may have given you an answer to why they find it so important. A more useful question would have been 'do you have young children' as that takes up more of my time and attention than DJing has every done, let alone a casual weekday job (as you can still work in the evenings, and even perhaps answer emails at work?). Maybe its just my son? My wife went back to work with our first and it was like a holiday for her, where i was left with a 12 hour day and a lot of stress!
    Last edited by yourdj; 06-06-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

You can spin it any way you want.

Full-time: Relies 100% on the income, can’t afford to be complacent or have unhappy clients. By having a track record of being in business they prove they are reliable and trustworthy. If they weren’t any good they couldn’t survive being full-time.

Part-time: It’s just pocket money to them, it doesn’t matter if they lose business as it makes no odds if they work or not, they can drop all their bookings at a moments notice if they wanted. If they were any good they’d go full-time.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post

Full-time: Relies 100% on the income, can’t afford to be complacent or have unhappy clients. By having a track record of being in business they prove they are reliable and trustworthy. If they weren’t any good they couldn’t survive being full-time.

Part-time: It’s just pocket money to them, it doesn’t matter if they lose business as it makes no odds if they work or not, they can drop all their bookings at a moments notice if they wanted. If they were any good they’d go full-time.

Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post

Got to agree with that
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk