Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well that was disheartening

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Got to agree with that
    WoaHi I find that comment offensive I dj part time and it isn't pocket money it supplments my income.
    I enjoy it and same amount of time and effort goes into gigs as it would if I was a full time dj .
    For one people deserve a quality service and I provide that and communicate well with customers.
    During performance's I'm professional.
    So the fact I'm part time doesn't make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    You can spin it any way you want.

Full-time: Relies 100% on the income, can’t afford to be complacent or have unhappy clients. By having a track record of being in business they prove they are reliable and trustworthy. If they weren’t any good they couldn’t survive being full-time.

Part-time: It’s just pocket money to them, it doesn’t matter if they lose business as it makes no odds if they work or not, they can drop all their bookings at a moments notice if they wanted. If they were any good they’d go full-time.
    Got to agree with that
    Quote Originally Posted by simon1969 View Post
    WoaHi I find that comment offensive I dj part time and it isn't pocket money it supplments my income.
    I enjoy it and same amount of time and effort goes into gigs as it would if I was a full time dj .

For one people deserve a quality service and I provide that and communicate well with customers.
    During performance's I'm professional.
    So the fact I'm part time doesn't make a difference.

Big time. Simon, I'm sure Martin was trying to illustrate the point that there are two equally tenable viewpoints, the Full Time guys, and the Part Time guys. Neither is right, and neither is wrong. You can make a valid case for either being the best way to operate, it all depends on which way you want to spin it.

Me, technically I'm part time, but I'd never denigrate anyone for their employment status. That's irrelevant.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Me, technically I'm part time, but I'd never denigrate anyone for their employment status. That's irrelevant.

Although; as i have said, I agree that full timers have a lot more to loose even with one bad complaint, especially with residencies, but that does not mean that part timers don't care or wont give as much time, effort and passion. Its just there are a lot more part timers and like the building trade etc. there are a lot of muppets 'having a go' so can relate to Bennys client, although they should really be judging the individual and not if they are full or part time. I have not met Benny but i am sure he would come across as passionate and professional as myself or anyone else that works full time on here, so the question is largely irrelevant.
    Last edited by yourdj; 07-06-2017 at 09:41 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Big time. Simon, I'm sure Martin was trying to illustrate the point that there are two equally tenable viewpoints, the Full Time guys, and the Part Time guys. Neither is right, and neither is wrong. You can make a valid case for either being the best way to operate, it all depends on which way you want to spin it.

Yep - I was just pointing out you can twist (or spin) it any way you want, I could’ve just as easily put all the positives on the side of the part-timer and the negatives on the full-timer (as in the OP).

Full-time and part-time are largely misnomers anyway, I think 'main income' and 'supplementary income’ are more accurate. I don’t have any other job apart from DJ’ing, but I certainly wouldn’t call what I do full-time, I do around 30 - 40 bookings a year maximum and have loads of spare time, 'lazy git’ probably covers it!

I now class myself as a part-timer. It doesn't mean I will act any different business wise or whilst performing as I have done for the past godknowshowmanyyears.

I'll still put everything into it and be the best I can for the customer but for now, I am not relying on it as much as I used to.
    Not sure how long this new change will last but I quite like the idea (at the moment), of picking and choosing what I do, where I do it and when I do it.

I've been asked the question a few times and I answer honestly, and people are generally surprised when I answer "part time" - hopefully because of the amount of effort I do put into my excellent customer service

I usually make a point of saying that I'm usually out 2 or 3 times a week every week and DJ'ing makes up a very significant part of my household income so it is far more than a casual interest or a hobby for me (i.e. I'm not likely to be flippant with my customers and I can't risk being unreliable).

I agree though that it's quite easy to spin arguments both ways.

Beards though... there's no excuse for unnecessary facial hair

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Got to agree with that
    Do you agree with the statements Chris or that it could be spun anyway by different parties?
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Beards though... there's no excuse for unnecessary facial hair
    Don't be dissin' da beard, yo!

The thread is a few months old but the cheek of the person who called Benny Smyth and asked if he'd be willing to shave his beard because the bride to be doesn't like facial hair on men! I wonder if they're asking the same of all of their guests?

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I've recently been turning down people before I quote.

If I get a vibe from them that what they're looking for isn't what I do - especially a request like the above - I say "sorry, I'm not going to be the right fit for you, so I won't be quoting for your wedding".

It took time to get to that stage, but I much prefer to only take on gigs that are in line with the performance I provide...
    I can't fault that approach. That was how I was in my last few years after for too long having ignored my gut feeling and taken on gigs, which turned out to be more trouble than they were worth. You're better off levelling with people and pointing out that you're not going to be what they're looking for and to try elsewhere if that's the feeling you get.

Quote Originally Posted by saduffy1 View Post
    The thread is a few months old but the cheek of the person who called Benny Smyth and asked if he'd be willing to shave his beard because the bride to be doesn't like facial hair on men!
    Oh come on! Have you seen him in his bewhiskered state? You couldn't look at him without hearing " Werewolves of London ". And to think without it he barely looks old enough to shave.

Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk