Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music influencing behaviour.

Default Music influencing behaviour.

Lighthearted thread, based on a premise elsewhere that songs may influence guests' behaviour, what songs should/shouldn't we play? I'll start.

Elton John-Saturday night....... Punch up fodder.
    James-Sit Down. Dancefloor killer.
    Dexys Midnight Runners-- Yes, we've had this one before, so don't need it again.

On a similarly risque note
    Stephen Stills- Love the one you're with. Only suitable for certain crowds.

And for our older readers
    St Cecilia- Leap up and down.......................

Over to you, but please keep it within the bounds of decency.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I once got asked to play I Predict A Riot at a Territorial Army dinner.

Oh, boy, what an eveningthat turned out to be! The CO came in, told me to turn the music off and his voice almost set the sound limiter off. He must have had a right queue outside his office onMonday morning!!

St Cecelia - that takes me back as it was around when we were all at school. Well, it was fun trying to get it to work!

More applicable 'back in the day' than now, but Ballroom Blitz had a habit of kicking things off, it was banned in almost all of the places I played.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

For the old punks amongst us, The Damned, Smash It Up.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    For the old punks amongst us, The Damned, Smash It Up.
    Neat. Neat, neat.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Elton John-Saturday night....... Punch up fodder.
    This song always makes me laugh, can you see Elton John going out drinking 15 pints and then having a proper good punch up?
    A couple of glasses of Claret at the local wine bar and a taxi home and an early night more like!

I would say killing in the name of would be a bad idea with the wrong crowd.
    System of a down, some greenday, basically any angry rock.

And Darude - Sandstorm.
    It crops up quite a few times on the 'songs that make people fight' forum/question posts on Google.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...u_wanna_fight/
    Last edited by yourdj; 08-06-2017 at 05:20 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

I would say killing in the name of would be a bad idea with the wrong crowd.
    System of a down, some greenday, basically any angry rock.
    Strange that with years of playing SOAD, Greenday and other ‘angry rock’ (as you put it) at a pub residency and many private parties and weddings I’ve never seen it kick off, in fact that sort of audience are probably the least hassle ever.

And if by the ‘wrong crowd’ you mean people who don’t like SOAD etc then why on earth would you be playing it to them anyway?

I think you’ve totally missed the mark on this.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Strange that with years of playing SOAD, Greenday and other ‘angry rock’ (as you put it) at a pub residency and many private parties and weddings I’ve never seen it kick off, in fact that sort of audience are probably the least hassle ever.
    Bearing in mind that a lot of folk getting married now are of the 'pop punk' generation of the naughties, I have never seen anybody kick off to Blink 182, Green Day, Sum 41, Arctic Monkeys, Electric Six et al. Proper student night anthems!

Not quite songs that cause "fights", but certainly end up with someone falling over/stuff getting knocked over:

Madness - Baggy Trousers/One Step Beyond - lots of drunk men moving around very fast never ends well

Also, at a total skew to this thread, I get very uncomfortable with playing (I've Had) The Time of My Life when a group is of a particularly "type". The attempted lift scene never works out!

My bar days have left my quite conscious that we're partly responsible for the behaviour of the guests - if they're all very drunk and we're playing the "wrong" songs, we can create less than ideal situations. So I'll try and use the music to control of mood of the guests - not get them too worked up/excited.

And if by the ‘wrong crowd’ you mean people who don’t like SOAD etc then why on earth would you be playing it to them anyway?

I think you’ve totally missed the mark on this.
    Yes you are correct, although I was more referring to RATM (if we are doing aronyms ).
    I had more in my mind a dodgy bar in Southampton, rather than a wedding or friendly pub etc.
    Especially one that puts on an indie or rock night as thats the genre and always has nice chilled people.
    I was amazed that at Download festival I saw ZERO fights or anything that i would class as abusive. Very lovely to see.
    But Blur - song 2, i predict a riot etc. etc. will affect men more than Calvin Hariss or Chainsmokers etc.

I am with it when it comes to madness etc. In the right situation its spot on - but throw it in at the wrong point and it does the opposite.
    My Christmas parties always have about 90% woman, the floor would be full and every other night a dunken man would demand Madness/Ska
    - 9 out of 10 times the floor would clear, although its a very tight venue so easy to get everyone back up again.

I am Djing with Madness in 2 weeks, looking forward to that. they are only doing 45 mins though and helicoptering off again.
    Last edited by yourdj; 08-06-2017 at 09:07 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/