Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Building a sleeve

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Building a sleeve

I've always wanted a sleeve tattoo, but never had the patience to get one. I'm exactly the same when it comes to buying kit for DJing - I will spend weeks, sometimes months, obsessively researching what I want then when I find what I like, I will read reviews and watch videos relentlessly until I decide "Right, I'm going for it." Problem is, when I've made my decision, I want it there and then.

That obviously won't work with a sleeve.

Oddly enough, growing a beard these last few months has taught me about patience and as a result, I've had two sessions with my local tattoo parlor in the last five weeks (after obsessively researching them, obviously!) and the outline on my forearm is now done. Just going to get the outline on my upper arm complete, then it's onto the colouring and shading.

Not a dagger through the heart of a rose kinda style. The idea is to reflect the kid in me, so the forearm is characters from when I used to play the Mega Drive and other consoles in the 90s and the upper arm is going to be Disney/Pixar/Similar characters. Not very cool sounding, but it's what I want.

So at some point, there will be some confused guests looking at the DJ with his beard and sleeve tattoo playing House music.

Sounds cool.

I kiiiiiiiiind of like the idea of a sleeve (I've got two tattoos on my shoulders and want one covered / transformed into something a bit less ) but I wouldn't get peace off the kids in work if I did.

What game characters are you going for? I was a 90s kid bonus points if you get Etta Pie - my tiger stripe g string wearing acrobatic sumo (finisher was a backflip off the top rope onto the poor bugger belows face ) who went undefeated against all my pals in wwe raw

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    What game characters are you going for? I was a 90s kid
    I have Ryu & Ken from Street Fighter, Solid Snake from Metal Gear, Sonic, Master Chief's Helmet from Halo, The Triforce from Legend Of Zelda and Toejam & Earl. Next month, we'll start the outline of my upper arm, which will include Lumiere, Thumper, Pumbaa, an alien from Toy Story, Minions and Wall-E. Granted the latter two are not from my childhood but I know were I a kid today, I'd love 'em.

Listing it all like that doesn't make it sound very cool, but I take solace in the fact that my mom used to say that I was cool.

I've got 2 almost complete sleeves. They've been on the go for years now.
    I am booked in for more ink in the next couple of weeks when I'll hopefully have them completed.
    I must admit, I never really thought out what I wanted when I started (about 25 years ago), but all the little bits mean something to me.
    I have a pair of headphones and music notes, roses and some tribal stuff, an album cover design and some dragons. I'm getting lots of fill in jobs on the space that I have left (elbows), and I am looking at getting a sunflower in there somewhere as a memory of my Dad as he loved them.

It's funny when I look back because I had my first piercing when I was 11 and over the years I had 38 altogether in various places but I started taking them out when it appeared to become the 'in thing'. Now, it seems the same with tattoos and they are becoming more and more popular. They aren't everybody's cup of tea though obviously but, I've seen some great ones over the years. One of the bridesmaids at the last wedding I did had one of the best roses I've ever seen. It looked classy on her too as she looked the part (she was a stunner too).