Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Video projectors - what to go for?

Default Video projectors - what to go for?

OK this is something I know very little about so all advice more than welcome.

I'm after a couple of decent short-throw projectors.

The reason?

The Retro Roadshow is going mad. I'm getting more bookings for the old fashioned 80s kit than I ever thought imaginable. I seem to have hit a very rich seam and I intend to mine it for all it's worth

So....I'm adding video to the packages (at extra cost of course). The nostalgia of seeing the music videos from your youth....... (you can see where I'm going with the marketing).

What I'm looking for now is a couple of projectors (for symmetry). The plan is to have a screen either side of me behind the rig (there's more than enough space) with projectors beaming the videos of the 80s behind the light show.

I'll add now.....I'm NOT interested in using telly's. I already have a 50" one which scares the life out of me every time it goes on the road. Projectors and screens are far less hassle in my little world. They're also more "in keeping" with the era of the Retro Roadshow to my mind. Projectors will achieve the look I'm wanting to achieve.

So....what do I need to look for ladies and gentlemen? As I've already said, projectors are not my area of expertise.
    The distance between screen and projector will be at least 4-6 feet so most short throws will achieve what I want - but what sort of brightness should I be looking at?

I'm willing to invest the right money into getting this right (but let's not be too silly with prices). Whatever I go for will need HDMI inputs unless there are other ways of connecting a MBP to them.

Anyone got any ideas on makes/models?

Try a couple of these, that would look retro: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-19...4AAOSw3h1ZSBu2

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  47.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Projectors and screens are far less hassle in my little world.
    I would say the opposite, as you have to still use a screen and set each of them up which takes a lot more time than just plugging in a TV - and also the throw space (which should not be that far, but still a small distance). I find my TV dead easy compared to the projector, the removal bags are apparently quite good as they take up less space, for light use/transport that is. Having said that I don't use any protection and have been using it for 5-6 years now!

If its only for retro, then you may be able to get cheaper projectors from Alibaba etc as the quality would not be paramount, quite the opposite in fact. I think you would need one at least 1000 lumens though. I use a 5,000 lumen Optima one, that would be a bit overkill. Most are now 1080p and android, which should maintain quality and easy use. They may also be standalone too which would save on set up?? using a media player is always a good bet, rather than a dedicated laptop. I just find all of that such a faff! I would want good money for that as an extra!

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...583231825.html

For a decent make the Optoma are regarded as one of the best, but not sure about short throw? https://www.projectorshop24.co.uk/en...vjAaApIs8P8HAQ

I seem to remember someone mentioning Sony as a good short throw make and looked at that. By all accounts, like lasers a projector is not something you go cheap with as it will fail, thats why I spent £2,000 on my one.
    Last edited by yourdj; 27-06-2017 at 06:02 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Although I never indulged with the retro equipment, I did promote the retro Discos, mainly because I found them very enjoyable.
    I have 2 x projectors and linked them and showed visuals.

I have 2 x DVD's - 70's visuals and 80's visuals.
    I've ripped them to my system now and have back up so they are available at £10.00 each if you want them.
    They are great and look cool.

Let me know if you're interested.
    Cheers

(and well done by the way!)

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Try a couple of these, that would look retro: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-19...4AAOSw3h1ZSBu2

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  47.6 KB
    Funny you should say that........

After my adventures into joinery and theatrical woodwork last week....I shall be using something very similar.
    The plan is to rear-project onto white lycra with the framework shaped and painted like an old telly (well two actually...I like symmetry).

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

I seem to remember someone mentioning Sony as a good short throw make and looked at that. By all accounts, like lasers a projector is not something you go cheap with as it will fail, thats why I spent £2,000 on my one.
    And here's where I was surprised.

I was expecting to spend a decent wedge on a couple of projectors but by sheer happy accident discovered these whilst doing something for somebody else.

It arrived today and I've got to say...I'm impressed. I know it's not high-res (and indeed, none of the 80s videos are so that's not an issue), it's not going to blind anyone, but then I don't want the screens to dominate the light show.

Needless to say, there's a pair turning up for me tomorrow. I'm actually impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Although I never indulged with the retro equipment, I did promote the retro Discos, mainly because I found them very enjoyable.
    I have 2 x projectors and linked them and showed visuals.

I have 2 x DVD's - 70's visuals and 80's visuals.
    I've ripped them to my system now and have back up so they are available at £10.00 each if you want them.
    They are great and look cool.

Let me know if you're interested.
    Cheers

(and well done by the way!)
    I might well be in touch...once I work out the magic trickery of how to play a visual when no video is available, preferably without having to press silly little effect buttons in VDJ. It's either that or I'm quite interested in using the camera feature for when there's no video stream to show the dancers doing their thang