Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expected downtime - and Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    You shouldn't ignore that, Chrome has to be able to update or you'll run into problems if there are security issues down the line. If you're on a 64 bit machine (likely, if it's newish) make sure you're running the 64 bit version of Chrome - if not, uninstall and install that. If you are, uninstall & reinstall anyway. Or see https://support.google.com/chrome/an...11996?hl=en-GB
    Oh crap. That's going to lead to lots of fun with passwords.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Oh crap. That's going to lead to lots of fun with passwords.
    Don't rush into anything....it might work tomorrow, you never know But don't leave it too long...and if you need to use multi-quote, download Firefox for the time being

Oh yuss. Went to that to cure all the issues with IE. Cue some Herbert now suggesting Freddie Fox or something confusing.
    But don't leave it too long...and if you need to use multi-quote, download Firefox for the time being
    For Herbert, read Marc.

Don't rush into anything....it might work tomorrow, you never know
    And now it does. ( in this thread anyway )

But not in the BPM 2017 thread.

Don't rush into anything....it might work tomorrow, you never know But don't leave it too long...and if you need to use multi-quote, download Firefox for the time being
    That's a step in the right direction

You should still make sure Chrome can update OK, though.

But not in the BPM 2017 thread.
    Can you clear your browser cache and try again? I've disabled some auto-minifying which may have been causing issues with certain browsers...

OK, I've got the bottom of Toby's issue with blank edit boxes. Note this is unrelated to Peter's issue, which I think is more an issue at his end

Basically, due to slight differences between the old server and the current one, there are character encoding issues between the vB code, the database, the outputted HTML and the PHP version the server is running. I'm fairly certain these all need to be fixed at the same time as per the instructions here and here which I'll get on to ASAP (but will involve some short downtime).

This issue manifests itself as seeing blank edit boxes, or a blank editor when previewing a post, if the post has troublesome characters in it. Troublesome characters are pretty much anything not a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and the usual (pretty much anything on a normal keyboard that you can type normally, without hitting ALT or needing to copy and paste from somewhere else). The exception might be the £ symbol, which is fairly common round these parts...

So, the cause to that issue is known, and will hopefully be fixed soon. Note that if it doesn't go smoothly (it may make existing posts look weird, only fixing posts made going forward) then it'll be reverted to as it is now, as we likely won't be staying on vBulletin much longer anyway.
    Last edited by Marc J; 18-08-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Quote from Marc J.

OK, I've got the bottom of Toby's issue with blank edit boxes. Note this is unrelated to Peter's issue, which I think is more an issue at his end

Aaaaaaargh. My problem appears to be that in certain threads only I can't even quote, never mind multiquote.

This thread has suddenly stopped me editing, copying, or even quoting. Elsewhere in the forum, no problem. I'd tear my hair out, except it's such a scarce commodity.

Quote from Marc J.

Aaaaaaargh. My problem appears to be that in certain threads only I can't even quote, never mind multiquote.

This thread has suddenly stopped me editing, copying, or even quoting. Elsewhere in the forum, no problem. I'd tear my hair out, except it's such a scarce commodity.
    OK, yours is the same issue. It's not certain threads, it's certain posts. Pick a post with not much in it (basic character set only) and it should always work.

Short term solution for single quotes or editing - do it in a new tab, and copy and paste (watch for smilies / links etc.).

I'll get onto it ASAP, probably over the weekend.

I'll get onto it ASAP, probably over the weekend.
    Oh crap, my debt to you increases exponentially again.

Thanks Marc.

BTW Marc, I know no-one ever notices these things, despite the fact I know at least a few minutes work will have been invested in to it...

But I have noticed the snazzy new Favicon in the Chrome tab when the forum is open