Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: What headroom are you comfortable with?

Question What headroom are you comfortable with?

Hey,

Following on from my Bishop Sound post yesterday I'm looking at speaker/amp headroom.

I'm starting discos up and going into business with another former DJ.

We both have ideas on what sound set-up we'd like but the headroom and required RMS differs.

I'd like to know what RMS and headroom you give yourselves on a gig with say 200 people in a hall and another with 400 people at an outdoor event.

I used to run a 800W RMS total (both sides combined. 2x400W RMS speakers and a 450W RMS each side amp) and felt this was enough for 200 people with plenty of headroom on the mixer and amp knobs.

Would love to know you're thoughts/set-ups.

Thanks.
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    I used to run a 800W RMS total (both sides combined. 2x400W RMS speakers and a 450W RMS each side amp) and felt this was enough for 200 people with plenty of headroom on the mixer and amp knobs.
    Good question. I did an event recently that had 300 at one point but on average about 200 bodies in a school hall, with proper walls and ceiling. It would really depend on the type of system used, music required/age group/type of event and whether its outside or in. I used my system but realised I need a lot more. I borrowed a couple of DXR 15 Inch, so had 2 x Thomann column speakers powered by an LD Dave 12, but one sub and top DXR would suffice. I only added one DXR, but feel that two would be better next time. i also had a DBR12 in the car. The guy i borrowed the kit off suggested subs, but it would not have fitted in the car and was not required anyway. I think if i was in a marquee this would have been crucial, but 2 DXR's and my normal kit would have done the job.

I would look at SPL over RMS as my tops are only 150 watts and fill the room! The line array effect of the column speakers distributed the high end beautifully and the sub and DXR dealt with the mids and bass. One more DXR would be sufficient, but maybe having a larger rig in there and turning it to half way would be better!! I will suggest that they hire something next year and include some decent lighting. Company of my choice for definite! Would be nice to stroll in like Tiesto and stroll out again at the end. I would love that as you can really concentrate on the music and being a DJ, without the stress of kit.

DXR x 1 = 700 watts @ 132 SPL
    LD Dave 12 = 500 watts
    Thomann Box Pro 404 PASSIVE = run on 150 watts! 121 SPL

Nothing to do with sound, but a set of some decent high powered moving heads would also have been much better. I had the uplighting on the floor so would raise that up on bars in the future. If I did this on a regular basis I would get a van, second monster system and dedicated lighting set up (or hire the kit). Practicing mixing also as it was OK for the job but a bit of a mess. My one and only prom this year, so it was a bit of a learning process as I usually do weddings up to 100 people. Note that the kids were adding to the noise, one prat had clogs on and no sense of timing, so was banging his feet really loudly until he got a 'hey shut up you dick' look from me.

Last edited by yourdj; 18-07-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Well the Maui 5s using a mere 1-200w RMS per side to produce 120dB have coped with 100 people, but that's in a small hall and a crowd that didn't need their ears to bleed to have a good time.

The 12" Stinger G2s with 400w per side and 118dB have coped easily with 100 people in a large room, and I'd say you could add another 50 perhaps.

The Proel V15s with 300w each and 126dB peak, well I'd be happy up to 200 people.

For functions with more bodies ( or younger crowds ) adding 15" subs with well over 500w into each one, under the G2s have coped with any function I've done. If you wanted numbers, I'd say 300 people.

That's my rough estimate, based on what I've found at my gigs. Hope this helps.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Well the Maui 5s using a mere 1-200w RMS per side to produce 120dB have coped with 100 people, but that's in a small hall and a crowd that didn't need their ears to bleed to have a good time.

The 12" Stinger G2s with 400w per side and 118dB have coped easily with 100 people in a large room, and I'd say you could add another 50 perhaps.

The Proel V15s with 300w each and 126dB peak, well I'd be happy up to 200 people.

For functions with more bodies ( or younger crowds ) adding 15" subs with well over 500w into each one, under the G2s have coped with any function I've done. If you wanted numbers, I'd say 300 people.

That's my rough estimate, based on what I've found at my gigs. Hope this helps.
    Great insight, thanks!

I'm thinking/looking at a couple of full range 15" speakers at 500RMS/side will easily cope with 250 people at a wedding etc. And maybe a couple of subs for 18th's, 21st's etc.
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    Great insight, thanks!
    I'm thinking/looking at a couple of full range 15" speakers at 500RMS/side will easily cope with 250 people at a wedding etc.
    A sensible enough plan. For ten years I've been saying that if I was constrained to only own two boxes, they'd have 15" drivers in.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk