Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vibe? ??

Cool Vibe? ??

Hi there everyone I went for what turned out to be a hard lesson learned.
    I received a text enquring about a wedding .
    I then phoned and arranged a meeting.
    Started meeting and handed them booking form, husband to be, says i can't sign this as we are seeing other Dj's ????
    I said "oh ok " (thinking eh?)
    I carried on with meeting a bit disgruntled.
    On exit I was told they would let me know next week.
    I heard nothing so I rang today and was told they hired a Dj who had better vibe?
    Really???
    Thoughts please?

Maybe presenting them with the booking form so early in a meeting they thought was going to be was informal gave them the feeling you were on a hard sell?

I don't know what you usually do but maybe approaching the form later on, after first finding out what they're after ? Or possibly just explain that you're recording information on the form so you don't miss anything?

I can count the number of pre-booking meetings I've ever done on this many fingers: 0, so all I can really offer are theories sorry Simon.

What was your reason/intentions for holding a meeting ?
    Did the couple WANT to meet ?
    What information had they before you met ?
    Did you come across as a double glazing salesman ?
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Maybe presenting them with the booking form so early in a meeting they thought was going to be was informal gave them the feeling you were on a hard sell?
    That would be my first thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    That's a very good question. To be fair to Simon, I'd have been keen to have a meeting, especially when the initial enquiry was by text. I've always found that functions ( especially weddings ) where you've met before have a completely different atmosphere. There's none of the awkwardness of meeting someone for the first time at a formal function.

Now as to getting booking forms out there and then, well personally, I'd have instantly decided not to book you at that point. That's just my view.

Perhaps the better vibe was the other guy/girl saying " You don't have to make your minds up now ( and don't forget, we're getting enquiries for dates two years hence ) have a look at my website, my feedback and if you need to know anything, get in touch ". All things being equal, I'd have booked that one. I had reason for booking from one NaD client " Just liked the guy, pure and simple. "

That's not to say that's the guaranteed way to convert bookings, we're only offering advice from a distance here, it's very easy to do that from the comfort of our keyboards, and there's sadly no cast iron rules on the subject.
    Chin up, and good luck.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

It's very much an assumption, as we're hanging on to the word "vibe", but it would suggest to me that they just felt they "got on better" with the other DJ.

I have no issue with that as a response (far better than 'we found someone cheaper')!

If someone is booking a DJ based on who they feel they "click" with, then I'm very happy with their buying process.

Sadly, there's little that you can do to overcome that.

However, I do feel that presenting a booking form at the end of the meeting could be a bit of a turn off - but that depends on how it's presented. If you try and get them to fill it in there and then they may feel pressured. If you leave a pack behind, and just highlight that if they want to go ahead, the booking form is within the pack, then that's less pressurised, and shouldn't be off putting to anyone.

We all have our ways of doing things. I talk to a local DJ often at wedding fayres etc who says "how many did you get"... To which I'm always a bit surprised as I don't ask them to book there and then. He's always asking me why don't you ask them to book,"they want a DJ, they like the sound of you, why let them think about who else there is" he often says.

Well I personally always feel uneasy if somebody asks me to commit to a purchase, if I did agree to book the first DJ I saw on the spot I doubt I'd feel satisfied that I'd made the right decision.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Prime example of why I only meet with customers once they've booked me.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't like feeling like I am in some kind of audition and have to prove myself. It happened a few years ago when a couple asked me if I could meet them. It was a Sunday morning and I drove the 15 miles or whatever it was to their big posh house and they weren't even home. I waited there for a while and they eventually turned up.

The 'vibe' was absolutely fine between us (or so I thought?), and although I am not 100%, I think they may have come to me via a recommendation. In truth, I wasted a couple of hours of my time with them (didn't know that at the time obviously). They had large grounds and money didn't seem to be an object. They wanted a double sound system and outside uplighting too and I quoted a price that they thought was good (they told me so).

They decided to go with a 'friend of a friend' in the end despite my best efforts.
    After that episode I decided not to meet in advance again.

I'm confident about my abilities and I am also a people person. There are very, very few people I don't get along with and even if I dislike somebody, they won't know about it.

On the other side of the coin though - I've taken on bookings in the past and wished I hadn't because the customers have been awkward and pains in the backsides. Wouldn't it be funny if we contacted them and said something along the lines of "Sorry, I can't be your DJ for the evening as the vibe between us doesn't feel right".

Lastly, I agree with the booking form comments. I would not have gotten out a booking form as if I was the customer I would feel pressured and I'd also think that the DJ is taking it for granted that I was booking them. There may have been some crossed wires somewhere and the OP may have gone along thinking that they were intending to book there and then, who knows?
    I don't take booking forms to wedding fairs either and I don't take bookings or booking fees on the day either. I simply supply the enquirer's with all the information and take their contact details so that there is no pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    What information had they before you met ?
    Did you come across as a double glazing salesman ?
    Yes they did and gave me the impression they were going to book me .
    Never mentioned about seeing other Dj's.
    It was very relaxed and I never hard sell, I offered various options for them too.

Quote Originally Posted by simon1969 View Post
    Started meeting and handed them booking form
    I don't think they went for a cheaper option to be fair, but sometimes you never know. I often ask if they are seeing anyone else and then see who they are meeting with, so you can gauge who you are up against. Often its other friends from my DJ group. Handing them the booking form at all probably sealed your fate! You would not buy a car, holiday package, builder, if the salesman immediately says hello, lets get some details - get your card ready and commit now. You would want to ask questions, get a feel for the person (in our industry), their service and work out if they will be good value for money. I had the hard sell from a Merc Garage the other day. The cars were nice, but I did not feel like the guy was telling me the truth and was too sales orientated. The hard sale belongs in the last century in my opinion - rapour, taking an interest, showing enthusiasm and giving clients a choice is the way forward IMO especially with the pre and post sales technology we have now.

I meet all my clients before booking and have never once handed them a booking form or even asked them if they want to book. Even when they say definitely, then i still urge them to chat to other suppliers (knowing full well they wont). I tend to just take an interest in their day and listen to what they want. Its no obligation and i close the meeting with just that and wish them a good day. I then email them later with all the stings we discussed and perhaps links to other suppliers of things they were not sure about. and at the very bottom a link to the booking form.

Sign of the times I am afraid, DJ's are slowly not getting booked blindly anymore (even for the cheaper markets), clients (especially for weddings) want to meet and discuss what they want before trusting 1/3 of the most important day of their life to the entertainment. At the very least lots of people who are serious about the entertainment will want to see some proof that they are booking someone that knows what they are doing, using Facebook, website and the likes. I think the turn up and play type DJ's without a comprehensive site, will seriously struggle in a few years time, but perhaps I am wrong. Bring on Quantum holographic meeting technology.

If your thinking that there may be an issue, some meeting and sales courses might be an idea? Just having mock ones with friends videoing it and getting them to judge you might throw up some interesting things. I cringe at some of the meetings I used to do and am probably still making mistakes, despite doing them almost daily (on average) for 9 years. It may be something simple like a mannerism, something you say or just that they prefer another DJ they have seen? Often it will have nothing to do with your DJ set up or the music you play. I would rather them decide then, than on their wedding day!!
    Last edited by yourdj; 22-07-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I don't think they went for a cheaper option to be fair, but sometimes you never know. I often ask if they are seeing anyone else and then see who they are meeting with, so you can gauge who you are up against. Often its other friends from my DJ group. Handing them the booking form at all probably sealed your fate! You would not buy a car, holiday package, builder, if the salesman immediately says hello, lets get some details - get your card ready and commit now. You would want to ask questions, get a feel for the person (in our industry), their service and work out if they will be good value for money. I had the hard sell from a Merc Garage the other day. The cars were nice, but I did not feel like the guy was telling me the truth and was too sales orientated. The hard sale belongs in the last century in my opinion - rapour, taking an interest, showing enthusiasm and giving clients a choice is the way forward IMO especially with the pre and post sales technology we have now.

I meet all my clients before booking and have never once handed them a booking form or even asked them if they want to book. Even when they say definitely, then i still urge them to chat to other suppliers (knowing full well they wont). I tend to just take an interest in their day and listen to what they want. Its no obligation and i close the meeting with just that and wish them a good day. I then email them later with all the stings we discussed and perhaps links to other suppliers of things they were not sure about. and at the very bottom a link to the booking form.

Sign of the times I am afraid, DJ's are slowly not getting booked blindly anymore (even for the cheaper markets), clients (especially for weddings) want to meet and discuss what they want before trusting 1/3 of the most important day of their life to the entertainment. At the very least lots of people who are serious about the entertainment will want to see some proof that they are booking someone that knows what they are doing, using Facebook, website and the likes. I think the turn up and play type DJ's without a comprehensive site, will seriously struggle in a few years time, but perhaps I am wrong. Bring on Quantum holographic meeting technology.

If your thinking that there may be an issue, some meeting and sales courses might be an idea? Just having mock ones with friends videoing it and getting them to judge you might throw up some interesting things. I cringe at some of the meetings I used to do and am probably still making mistakes, despite doing them almost daily (on average) for 9 years. It may be something simple like a mannerism, something you say or just that they prefer another DJ they have seen? Often it will have nothing to do with your DJ set up or the music you play. I would rather them decide then, than on their wedding day!!
    Sorry not as soon as I sat down in handed them the form easily misunderstood sorly didn't make that clear.