Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RCF Evox 8

Default RCF Evox 8

Hi,

Has anyone got some and if so are they worth the ££?

They look great, decent levels and compact and light to handle.

Their active which I'm not usually a fan of but am currently tempted. Do RCF deal with all amp repairs or are there companies out there for that sort of thing?

Active set-ups are all new to me.

Thanks,
    Nathan.
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone got some
    Yes ( but not personally).

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    Hi,

and if so are they worth the ££?
    No.

OK, before the death threats appear, I'll be serious. ( But not for long, I think I'm developing a resistance to the tablets ).
    Nathan, use the search facility. Coalville will come up if you search Evox, that's where a lot of us heard just about every " stick rig " on the market. My humble opinion was that the difference between the least and the greatest wasn't a vast gaping chasm by any means, and that basically they'll all do the same thing.

In my very humble opinion, the Evox ( 8 and 12 ) is the class of the field, along with the FBT equivalent. They'll definitely play to more punters than my beloved Maui 5s. Are they therefore better value than the Mauis?

No way. It's more than double the price of the Mauis, and doesn't offer me £1,000 worth of additional performance. Since I bought them, they have done all bar three of my gigs, and the only one they couldn't have done was for 250 people in a huge ballroom.

I know of a few people who have bought stick rigs merely for small gigs, and gone on to use them as first choice PA wherever possible. They aren't the answer to everything though. If you play every week to 200 18yr olds and need to pin them to the back wall with the sound pressure, but only work at a small wine bar for thirty folk at conversational levels once every three months, it's not the rig for you.

As a wide sweeping generalisation, under a hundred folk- stick rig. Over this, Speakers on tripods. It's in no way exact, but it is a guide.

Have a listen to
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I know a dozen people that have them and love them to bits.

It's what I would buy if I went fully active and I would not even listen to them first.
    RCF are brilliant, but maybe worth comparing them side to side with the Versus?

BPM is soon worth waiting maybe and checking them out there.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I know a dozen people that have them and love them to bits.

It's what I would buy if I went fully active and I would not even listen to them first.
    RCF are brilliant, but maybe worth comparing them side to side with the Versus?

BPM is soon worth waiting maybe and checking them out there.
    Versus what, Toby? A pair of QTX cabs, maybe? Toby, it's a Vertus.

BPM, although good, isn't as useful as Coalville. The time frame may easily preclude this, sadly.

I have had mine about 6 months and have mixed views that are mainly very positive.

Positives

Good reviews from clients and more frequently venues.
    Very convenient especially if you have the rock and roller cart.
    Look good in website photos.
    Reasonably loud and good bass (for the type of product).
    Have used successfully for 150 people indoors with low ceiling with some headroom.
    Due to array nature of drivers, sound carries louder further, so you don't need it as loud on the dancefloor to reach the back of the room.
    Very clever DSP to "shape" the Sound.
    Very resistant to feedback.

Negatives

Lack a smidgen of detail in the mids and highs (compared to my HD12a's).
    If it is very loud on the dancefloor, it is still loud at the back of the room.

I still have a two box system, HDA12 over 900 series subs which is more detailed and far more dynamic but it is 3.2kw v 1.4kw so you would expect that.

Another thing that has surprised me is that I now consider taking the 4 box system out a faff and a lot of hassle as it increases the set up & break down time and takes up a lot of room. Also, although the 4 box system is technically better, Sound "truer" and more powerful and more expensive, it received less compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I have had mine about 6 months and have mixed views that are mainly very positive.

Positives

Good reviews from clients and more frequently venues.
    Very convenient especially if you have the rock and roller cart.
    Look good in website photos.
    Reasonably loud and good bass (for the type of product).
    Have used successfully for 150 people indoors with low ceiling with some headroom.
    Due to array nature of drivers, sound carries louder further, so you don't need it as loud on the dancefloor to reach the back of the room.
    Very clever DSP to "shape" the Sound.
    Very resistant to feedback.

Negatives

If it is very loud on the dancefloor, it is still loud at the back of the room.

I still have a two box system, HDA12 over 900 series subs which is more detailed and far more dynamic but it is 3.2kw v 1.4kw so you would expect that.

Another thing that has surprised me is that I now consider taking the 4 box system out a faff and a lot of hassle as it increases the set up & break down time and takes up a lot of room. Also, although the 4 box system is technically better, Sound "truer" and more powerful and more expensive, it received less compliments!
    Thanks for that, it's very helpful!

There's a dealer nearby that said they'll set it up for us to have a listen one Saturday but it's good to hear the feedback in a real environment.
    Nathan.

I love mine.

I also have a pair of Maui 5 which I use for background music. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable using the Maui 5 for the main gig - but it appears it's possible.

Yes, they lack the mid kick and can be a bit harsh in the top end, but they are so easy to cart around, look good, and exceed the sound of just speakers on a stand. To exceed the Evox 8, you'd need to rig up sub and speaker.

They, along with the CS1000 from FBT seem to be the speaker of choice at the moment. I would expect them to be easier to sell on after 2/3 years than something less well known - and they currently seem to hold their value well. So total cost of ownership should be quite low.

Negatives

That's a failing of many systems nowadays, seemingly. To quote a colleague, " All boom and ting "! When reps demo systems nowadays, they seem only to want to show how much bass they can achieve, not balance overall sound. Drives me up the wall.

That would seem to be roughly what most people say when they start using such rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I love mine.

I also have a pair of Maui 5 which I use for background music. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable using the Maui 5 for the main gig - but it appears it's possible.
    When I first got mine, I only expected to use them now and again. Instead, I'm using them almost exclusively. And since I often say " never say never ", it's a good bet that they won't be in use at either gig this weekend, cos at least one is in a big sports hall, so not the place for them.

Yes, they lack the mid kick and can be a bit harsh in the top end, but they are so easy to cart around, look good, and exceed the sound of just speakers on a stand.
    I feel the positives there outweigh the negatives, by quite a way.

To exceed the Evox 8, you'd need to rig up sub and speaker.

They, along with the CS1000 from FBT seem to be the speaker of choice at the moment.
    Perchance, not for long. I heard a 2.1 system tonight which stretches the term " stick rig " to the limit, but far exceeds what the Evox can do ( according to the rep, and from what we heard tonight, I wouldn't be at all surprised ) for a few hundred pounds less.

We also heard a much smaller one, which a colleague uses, and I can well see why he loves it. Very tidy, nice sound, and fairly portable.

And yet, both were beaten sound quality wise by a couple of cabs from the same manufacturer. An 8" top and 15" sub, with none of the electronic wizardry of the more expensive ones. Ye cannae change the laws of physics.

I would expect them to be easier to sell on after 2/3 years than something less well known - and they currently seem to hold their value well. So total cost of ownership should be quite low.
    OK - I'll play along ('cos I'm bored at this time of night in a wooden shed in mid Wales with tonight's wine quota finished and rain pounding onto the roof).....

I don't do stick rigs (or singing drainpipes as I like to call them...sorry to offend).I especially don't do FBT (mainly because they've become like a religion to some and it feels at times like they're being rammed down your throat at every opportunity!). Sorry - I know they look pretty but I've yet to be convinced they'll do the job I'd ask of them.

Yes - I know stick rigs (or arrays) project the sound across the venue, but working mainly on weddings my philosophy is to fill the dance floor with loud music, and let those around the perimeter chat and catch up with each other (because that's what generally happens) without being deafened. It works for me 99% of the time (apart from last Friday).

It's a well known fact that I like "proper" speakers (but then like Peter, I go back centuries and used to lug cabs bigger and heavier than my own body weight into upstairs function rooms...along with light screens and vinyl so it's just personal preference). I like to see a "proper" cab making the noise (HH Dual Concentrics anyone?), not a garden cane in a plant pot.

On the subject of value (or holding thereof), when did somebody last see anything from the Yamaha DXR range going cheaply second-hand?

I'll wager not very often if at all (I know I sold my DXS18 to a fellow forum member about a year ago...it was advertised on Facebook for all of about 30 seconds). They play nicely on a Rock 'n' Roller cart as well.

As Peter says, you cannae change the laws of physics. The stick systems are getting better, but there's really only so much power they can give out from such small cones.

As for BPM - the speaker demos to my mind are a waste of time. They "flatten" the output to make them all "equal", which in theory is a good thing. However, I'd much rather hear what they can do in a real-world demo if that makes sense. The Yammy's sounded completely pants at BPM last year. Running a combo of DXR8/DXS12 (my weapons of choice and 18 months since I purchased them my jaw still drops with the 12's on boosted bass) or a pair of DXR15's a couple of times a week depending on where I'm working, I know they'd knock the socks off pretty much any stick system out there, and for much more than 100 bodies.

Are they any more of a faff to set up? I really don't know because I've never set up a stick rig. How hard can it be to put a couple of 15" cabs on a hydraulic tripod or a couple of 8" cabs on satellite poles though?

Imagine

I agree with you and still have a four box system as well which I love.

I am just surprised how, in my experience, other people ( clients and venues ) seem to prefer the Evox.

As has been mentioned on another thread elsewhere, maybe one design doesn't fit all and it is a case of horses for courses.