Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RCF Evox 8

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I agree with that thought (although I keep getting told I am in the minority).
    For what they are (effectively, no bigger than a 15" top), I'd much rather the Evox over a a pair of 15" cabs.

Will a sub and top outdo it - of course - but that changes the game!

I wanted a system I could carry in easily - and the Evox does that.

Am I overwhelmed by the sound? I'm fairly impressed - it sound decent.

So I'm probably in the same camp as you and Mark. Would I upgrade to a Evox 12 - no. It's too big. I might as well take in some subs and a top at that point (or actually, now that DB system would be a better choice than an Evox 12). But still far heavier than the Evox 8 - and I have to remind myself of the reason I bought the Evox 8!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    For what they are (effectively, no bigger than a 15" top), I'd much rather the Evox over a a pair of 15" cabs.

Will a sub and top outdo it - of course - but that changes the game!

I wanted a system I could carry in easily - and the Evox does that.
    That's the dilemma. Effectively you're balancing portability, small size and aesthetics against outright performance, large size and weight, and a less pleasing appearance.

And no, there isn't one in the middle which gives the performance we all crave from a rig we carry in under one arm.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    That's the dilemma. Effectively you're balancing portability, small size and aesthetics against outright performance, large size and weight, and a less pleasing appearance.

And no, there isn't one in the middle which gives the performance we all crave from a rig we carry in under one arm.
    Yes, and skyhooks for all the lights, which are all invisible to the naked eye except of course for the effects they create

I've taken to using the 10" subs from my dB Technologies ES-602 systems coupled with a pair of dB Technologies B-Hype 8s as tops. I've only used them together for a couple of gigs but so far they certainly seem reasonable for small/medium venues and are very portable. Aesthetically they look as if they are meant to go together because they have the same front grilles.

Having said that, I think at some point I will swap the B-Hype 8s for some other 8" tops that are a bit more powerful. I'd still like a pair of Yamaha DXR8s ideally, but the RCF 718A Mk4s would probably suffice and be a cheaper option.

Heading back to the dealer tomorrow to listen to a pair of CS1000's rather than a single side.

Also arranged for some Martin Audio F15s
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    Heading back to the dealer tomorrow to listen to a pair of CS1000's rather than a single side.

Also arranged for some Martin Audio F15s
    So Nathan....how did you get on?

I'm in somewhat of a quandry myself at the moment and I'm off to listen to several systems on Friday (namely Evox12, dB ES1203 and CS1000).

I know, I've always said I'm not a massive fan of stick systems and that hasn't changed (after all...ye cannae change the laws of physics).....BUT.....

I'm now doing a lot of high end weddings in long barns (as in the function room is over 100ft in length). Yes, the DXR15s cover that with ease, but they're big blighters and don't exactly look elegant when they're up in the air., especially when the B&G/B&B/G&G have spent £0000's decorating the place. I make an announcement at the booth and those at the back don't necessarily pick up on it.

My beloved DXS12/DXR8 system punches well above its weight and it's always been my weapon of choice, but these barns tend to be lined with drapes like a marquee. So what sounds hellishly loud at the booth very quickly tapers down to nothing as you move away from the rig.

So I need an array system to push the sound just that little bit more evenly and reliably without deafening me at the wheels of steel. It also needs to look the part for a wedding as opposed to huge boxes on tripods.

I'm going to listen to all three. However (and I hate myself for saying this....I really, really do because I feel like this particular system has been forced down peoples throats like some sort of political agenda), I'm probably likely to come home with the CS1000s. The Evox12s are heavy blighters and the dB ES1203 relies, as already mentioned, on a single amp which scares me.

I was contemplating the eagerly awaited EV Evolve 50 system...until it was properly unveiled this evening. I haven't heard it, but the specs vs the price disappoint to be honest.

We'll see what Friday brings.....

Bose not an option?

Sadly not at the dealer in question.

I did think of them, and have to admit they are the "prettier" of the stick rigs, but then remember the number of people that were selling them en-masse around 18 months ago for some reason.

Wireless infill?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Hi,

After much thought and many various systems tested out we ended up going with a pair of RCF ART715A's. After hearing the Evox 8 we wasn't interested in hearing any more RCF, but glad we did!

These sound just as good as the FBT CS1000's but for half the price and only a minor difference in RMS. (We've got plenty of headroom with these for the size of venues/gigs we'll be doing locally).
    Nathan.