Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RCF Evox 8

Absolutely agree about the 4 box system (subs and tops) will sound better - law of physics and all that. The stick systems I do make a good job considering the physical limitations.

For the weddings I do, the Evox performs fine for me. It struggled at a large corporate event once, but that's the only time.

So I don't have a desire to upgrade to 4 speakers (takes more space in the van, larger to lug in), but appreciate that they will sound better.

This is the new kid on the block, coming in around £1,900 http://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/pro...203-p3817.aspx

I'm sadly yet to hear it, but apparently 1 of these can out perform 2 x Evox 8.

So you may feel 1 of those is better value than 2 x Evox 8.

Personally, I'd feel nervous relying on one amp, so would want 2, which makes them quite expensive in comparison (but no doubt a very powerful sound system, yet still looking good).

I've the maui 5 and the Evox 12, sold off my RCF hd12s and 712s when I got great offers for them.
    They are both good systems and sound good to me. Plenty of bass and good dispersion without overpowering
    the dancefloor. I've noticed a few times the people at the bar dancing, the sound is obviously much better there than with traditional systems. Most importantly they look good and venues and clients have noticed which gives me an advantage (along with my booth) over the traditional table and two tops djs in my field over here.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

This is the new kid on the block, coming in around £1,900 http://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/pro...203-p3817.aspx

I'm sadly yet to hear it, but apparently 1 of these can out perform 2 x Evox 8.
    I did hear it last night, and as I said above, I'm inclined to believe it would. Would I buy one? No. The sub has two 12" drivers in, and although it's a one hand carry,( due mainly to its shape, it's tall and narrow ) it's not a featherweight.

To address some of what Wayne said above, it seems a curious way to achieve quality sound by increasing the size of the subs up to 2x12" or more, and a plethora of 3" drivers on a pole above it. To my old ( fashioned ) ears, ( and bear in mind I use my Mauis most weeks, and love them ) the best sound last night came from a £150 8" top over a conventional sub. Two of these tops and one sub cost half what the 1203 does.

If the Mauis hadn't come along for me when they did, my rig of choice was going to be two cheap 12" subs, and two 8" or 10" tops of as high quality as I could afford. Unsurprisingly, not a million miles away from the one Wayne uses and loves.

So you may feel 1 of those is better value than 2 x Evox 8.
    Now that's debatable, because.................................

Personally, I'd feel nervous relying on one amp, so would want 2, which makes them quite expensive in comparison (but no doubt a very powerful sound system, yet still looking good).
    of exactly the reasoning Gavin gives. The same thought was the first thing which came into my mind when I realised all the amps were in one box.
    The second thing was that you needed two full systems, or at the very least a spare sub if it's possible to buy one separately, and that's a fairly pointless exercise.
    The third thought was that at that point, you'd have parted with nearly four thousand pounds, and for that sort of money you'd have an overwhelming choice of kit, and lots of change if you'd bought a pair of Maui 5s and a good grade set of subs and tops.

A pair of 1203 rigs would indeed give incredible versatility, and possibly a bit more than one small stick rig and a pair of subs and tops. It would also win aesthetically. Still don't think it's an overwhelming argument to buy a pair though.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

When you start getting to those kind of prices I'd be going for Bose all day long. The only thing stopping me getting a pair is that I mount my lights on the poles so unfortunately I need a pair of "singing drainpipes"

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I am just surprised how, in my experience, other people ( clients and venues ) seem to prefer the Evox.
    I love it when the US and other UK (MC type) guys that say kit does not matter (especially lighting).
    Its amazing what people notice and the overall opinion they cast of you based on the equipment you have.

Managers always comment when i get something new.

I think out of all the drainpipes the bose look the most stunning.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I love it when the US and other UK (MC type) guys that say kit does not matter (especially lighting).
    Its amazing what people notice and the overall opinion they cast of you based on the equipment you have.

Managers always comment when i get something new.

I think out of all the drainpipes the bose look the most stunning.
    Of course it matters. I've got a reasonably small rig lighting wise but it's DMX'd well and really got an impact visually compared to folk going out with trussing and booths up the wahoo and there's plenty of times co-ordinators / supervisors at venues want my card before I've played a tune.

I'm trying something new on Saturday actually lighting wise and it's going to look great.

Got a demo arranged for them with a nearby dealer tomorrow morning.

I'll let you know what I think upon my return!
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    Got a demo arranged for them with a nearby dealer tomorrow morning.

I'll let you know what I think upon my return!
    Evox? Maui? dB1203? Which one, Nathan?

PS, on a serious note, I'd advise against having a smaller stick rig as your main/only PA. Big boxes on tripods all weekend for me, first time in ages, some gigs/venues need them. I'd recommend having a pair of cheap active fifteens in the shed somewhere, even if you run to Evox12, or the big dB rig.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Evox? Maui? dB1203? Which one, Nathan?

PS, on a serious note, I'd advise against having a smaller stick rig as your main/only PA. Big boxes on tripods all weekend for me, first time in ages, some gigs/venues need them. I'd recommend having a pair of cheap active fifteens in the shed somewhere, even if you run to Evox12, or the big dB rig.
    My bad, Exov 8! aha.

I personally still like the idea of a full range speaker on a stand. Tried and tested over many years/gigs. A lot cheaper too!

I may be converted tomorrow but at the moment the price, amp back-up (not sure if you can buy them on their own yet) and not being ideal for 18th/21st birthday's is stopping me.
    Nathan.

I recall Mark Wild buying the Evox 8 and being underwhelmed. He sold and upgraded to the Evox 12 and loves them.