Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: RCF Evox 8

Well, I took the Maui 28s out for their maiden voyage this evening.

AWESOME!!! bit of kit. I never thought I'd be a singing drainpipe hugger....but....

OK - they're never going to be the ground shaking loud and shouty replacement for proper 15" cabs and 18" subs, but for the majority of parties I do, they'll be more than enough with a lot more headroom to spare.

A weird experience though....although the music was a nice volume for dancing (I didn't actually measure the number of decibels on the dance floor but it sounded plenty loud enough to me), people were still able to talk and hear each other.....how in the name of all that's holy does that work?

I couldn't clip them either! Normally with the Yammy's (especially the DXR15s), I run the output from the mixer flat. Turning the bass knob even just a fraction has a nasty habit of bringing on the red clipping light (although that could be down to the onboard DSP in them). The Maui's didn't complain in the slightest. Even better, you can hear the same sounds at the booth that they hear on the dance floor instead of the muffled version we normally get behind the speakers - I certainly don't need to lug a monitor in anymore!

Back to the DXR15s tomorrow as in a large venue which warrants a lot of loudness (especially with the playlist I'm up against), but I can see the Maui's being the new weapon of choice for most gigs I do from now on

Going back to the original discussion on the Evox 8 I am rapidly growing out of favour with mine - if they weren't so bloody easy to handle.

I still find they run out of steam far too early and marquees especially they are underpowered. I can use a pair of mackies, bose L1, or dare I say vertus and they are just ticking over, but the RCF I have to make work for their money. Someone did tell me once though that RCFs are designed to be driven hard.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Going back to the original discussion on the Evox 8 I am rapidly growing out of favour with mine - if they weren't so bloody easy to handle.
    I can't imagine any other stick system can cope any better? Apart from the new DB thingy, but that's a different beast all together!

I remember when everyone had the original Vertus. I didn't get to use one until 2016, and was massively disappointed with its sound.

Have you tried putting both subs together under the booth? That gives some more volume.

But otherwise, you're at the mercy of the limitation of small systems.

For me, I only do weddings, so I only need to cover the dancefloor. I don't need to fill the whole marquee at club level sound, so they work perfectly.

If I needed to do larger gigs or fill a whole marquee, then I've been looking at a decent sub/tops packages.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    But otherwise, you're at the mercy of the limitation of small systems.
    Correctamundo. So far I haven't found my Maui 5s to be too small for anything I've asked them to do. If I need to make more noise than they can provide, it's bigger box time.

I wouldn't try to break reinforced concrete with a toffee hammer, but I can crack walnuts with a Kango.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post

I still find they run out of steam far too early and marquees especially they are underpowered. I can use a pair of mackies, bose L1, or dare I say vertus and they are just ticking over, but the RCF I have to make work for their money. Someone did tell me once though that RCFs are designed to be driven hard.

i have two array type tops and use a DXR15 for anything over the 150 figure or in a marquee. The sound is the same all round the room (well sort of), which makes them ideal for smaller weddings. Anything larger then having some form of directional speaker system is a good idea. I always have a DBR12 in the booth at all times for more directional sound on the dance floor area. The columns fill in the gaps for larger functions.

Yes the DXR's always clip, I noticed that, but only when run hard. My DBR's don't seem too but they are a newer speaker.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I can't imagine any other stick system can cope any better? Apart from the new DB thingy, but that's a different beast all together!
    Both the Vertus and Bose are miles ahead, especially with volume - but just not as handy, suppose you can't have everything
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

FBT CS1000's all day over the Evox 8s
    Nathan.

I'm wondering if I could use a pair of these with my Evox8 subs do you think it would sound any better ?

http://www.fbtaudio.co.uk/product/Ventis-206Name:  ventis206.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  36.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Disco View Post
    I'm wondering if I could use a pair of these with my Evox8 subs do you think it would sound any better ?
    I never get a definitive answer as to whether it's safe to run the Evox 8 without the tops attached.

I never get a definitive answer as to whether it's safe to run the Evox 8 without the tops attached.

The ones I have shown are passive FBT so would link up with subs just wondered about using them instead of the Evox ones