Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Back handed compliment

Default Back handed compliment

I had a 30 something come up to the booth last night last and say he loved the way I "blended" the music, which he said was really smooth!

What he meant was he liked my mixing.

Have you had any clients use funny terms or give you back handed compliments?

*whilst raising their hand to cover their eyes* "You're lights are really bright".

"why thank you, they were a special deal a few months ago, twice the price to buy them now. To be honest I turned the brightness down... This is how bright they go"....

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I had a 30 something come up to the booth last night last and say he loved the way I "blended" the music, which he said was really smooth!

What he meant was he liked my mixing.

Have you had any clients use funny terms or give you back handed compliments?
    Blending is probably a better descrtiption for what we do I think?

We existed during the dance music revolution in the 90's with superstar DJ's whom had very little to show other than dancing around drugged up in Ibiza and mixing two records together. Plus the hiphop era where Mixing/scratching is much more obvious. Having two massive records and to be seen visibly pulling them out and putting them down was also quite obvious. Does not happen now as its all digital.

Anyone under 20 has probably only seen big name DJ's on music videos (Guetta, Harris, Avicci) looking more like rap stars so the mixing side of things is just taken as a given and not a big part of the look, especially as technology has made tings a lot easier. Its more about telling the story with there singer and the DJ just turns up in several scenes (like in the early chemical Brother videos). The decks are often never even in shot nowadays - you rarely see the instruments in a boyband video after all. I think the main reason for all this was when R&B merged with Dance and became more mainstream.

This was 5 years back and gutta is an almost godly figure just watching out over his world. He eventually starts 'Djing' at 2.55 mins and just looks like he is holding two knobs (oh matron). Not doing a lot really, Unless you watched him live you would not really get the concept of mixing I done think.

Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I've been complimented on my mixing a good few times but by far the most back handed compliments have been the times when the crowd booed me vigorously at the end of the night when I refuse to play past finishing time. Never give em one more. Unless they've been really nice

I did a school prom a few years ago and was told by some of the students that I was pretty cool for an old man. Still get the gig after 6 years, so I must still be pretty cool!

I teach in an additional support needs school and once the boss found out I DJ'd I was het for tonnes of stuff in and around the school. The two most notable ones:

I was asked to be "Simon Foul" (I didn't make the name up) for the School X's Got Talent contest at Christmas. It was great fun getting to ham it up and after it one of the kids came up to me and said - "you've got a really nice voice on the mic, you should be like a singer or musician or something - you should be a performer"

I'm also now the resident DJ for all of the discos we do during the year. We're now into double figures the amount of staff who have came up and said: I know you do this at the weekend but you're actually really good.

It was only in the past few months when a colleague needed to contact me late at night, googled and got my number off the website they realised that I'm not dicking about in dingy wee bowling clubs for beer money