Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: BPM 2017

Agree there...nothing at BPM this year unless you want to buy it from DJ Kit

Did like the new QSC’s...especially when he connected the 8” tips to the cardioid sub

I did hear a rumour yesterday that there may be an announcement about future BPMs today...and it’s not good

As for beer...we started with Kebabs, moved to a pub that called last orders at 10:30, then several in a weatherspoons followed by Peter dragging me into Reflex and then the Tap and Spile. Finally back to the room sometime between 0230 & 0300

Breakfast now polished off and be back at the arena shortly

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Anyone around?

ADJ stand in 10 mins (2pm)

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

So here is my hotly anticipated review of BPM 2017.

Hmmm...I think is the best way to sum it up.

Every year I go to BPM, I go for three reasons - the PA experience, the lightshow in the Chauvet Arena and to catch up with suppliers and other DJs. Last year, the PA experience was a letdown. This year, the PA experience continued that trend but I was really disappointed to see the lightshow in the Arena become a let down.

Now don't get me wrong - it was impressive, but it felt a bit like it was paint by numbers. This year, the lightshow seemed less about having the best show for the song selection (which this year, by the way, was crap) and more about ensuring that every feature of each fixture is demonstrated. I'll admit that I marked out when I realised that the FX Par 9s were very much the centrepiece of the show and seeing it come together was cool but...I dunno...in previous years I became lost in the show and enjoyed the experience and this year, I was fully aware that Chauvet were selling to me.

This year was my nephew's first experience of such a thing, and he really enjoyed himself. Was also great to see Peter, Wayne and Justin (plus a few others) this afternoon. I also had a chance to catch up with some other guys who I know, and from that perspective it was a pretty good day. Didn't see anything that jumped out at me, but then I wasn't looking for anything really - I'm happy with the current setup that I have. Did anyone else find it really easy to walk around the whole thing in about half hour?

And one other observation - I have never seen such a mass gathering of miserable sods in my life. Barely saw a smile amongst folk, with most donning the grumpy teenager look whilst staring at their phones. It certainly says something that the 15 year old I had with me looked more happy than most there!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    And one other observation - I have never seen such a mass gathering of miserable sods in my life.
    That's no way to talk about Peter, Andy, Shaun, Dave, Matty and me when you stumbled into the ADJ area

It was a big uninspiring letdown though if I'm honest (BPM, not meeting you). I really don't like the fact that DJKit apparently have exclusive rights for selling stuff at the show. What happened to Geerooz, Terralec (and I wanted a load of bags this year!), and all the others that normally sell a bit of gear at show prices?

The audio bit was atrocious to say the least. That said, the QSC room (especially those little 8" tops and the 12" cardioid sub) blew me away....they were awesome!

Lighting - it's as if the likes of ADJ and Chauvet were there because they felt they had to be. There's nothing really "new" to see. It's nice to see the stuff actually working instead of the ideal-world videos they put online.

For me, it was more of a weekend social, a good catch up, a good laugh, and the unforgettable image of young Peter's face when he was charge £9.90 for two bottles of beer

Miserable, Benny? Too damn right I was after waving goodbye to a tenner for two small bottles of beer that cost £3.50 in Tesco.

It's a wonder I was that civil, I still haven't got over the shock!

Full report later.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 23-10-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    And one other observation - I have never seen such a mass gathering of miserable sods in my life. Barely saw a smile amongst folk, with most donning the grumpy teenager look whilst staring at their phones. It certainly says something that the 15 year old I had with me looked more happy than most there!
    Was great to finally meet you Benny - I don't mind saying I really admire what you do.

Re your point about miserable sods - Jazzy Jeff was the headline act in the Chauvet arena yesterday. An arena mostly populated by what I can only describe as non-believers. I'm not mad about rap & hiphop but jees I know genius, awesome skill when I see & hear it.

Toby, was nice to meet you too. As for everybody else I'd hoped to bump into.. booo that our paths didn't cross.

Just got back from a great weekend.

I spent pretty much all of it in the ProMobile/NADJ Learning Zone, which was the reason I went to the show.

Was pleased to finally hear the FBT CS1000. To my ears, little difference to an Evox 8 - hits exactly the same limitations. The surprise star system for me was the FBT VN2000. Despite not being in the market for a system, it's got me seriously interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    For me, it was more of a weekend social, a good catch up, a good laugh, and the unforgettable image of young Peter's face when he was charge £9.90 for two bottles of beer
    Did you miss out on the ADJ After Party in The World Bar? The Becks, Corona and Stella was free...

Add to that the free drinks from the FBT stand during the day, and I barely spent any money all weekend!

Disappointed to hear the Yorkshireman fell for the Birmingham prices!

Probably best not to take him down to London

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Did you miss out on the ADJ After Party in The World Bar?
    Yes - quite deliberately.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    The Becks, Corona and Stella was free...
    And there's the reason....it's horrible Eurofizz stuff. I prefer something which puts hairs on your chest (and blinds you at the same time).

We were hitting the real ales last night (some sort of Ruby ale with heavy chocolate overtones....really nice drop of stuff). Most of the beer was actually a LOT cheaper than it is here at home. It was only Reflex that took the Mickey

Plus - we had a really nice Turkish meal as well

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

And there's the reason....it's horrible Eurofizz stuff. I prefer something which puts hairs on your chest (and blinds you at the same time).
    To be fair to the World Bar they seemed to have a good selection of real ales too (just not included in the ADJ tab). But it was rammed in there. And I doubt the prices would have been palatable!