Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is an acceptable level of backup for suppliers?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Also - WE ARE NOT GUESTS
    Absolutely.

You know what we are, don't you?

Entertainers. With a capital E.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I think that is because a lot of DJ's seem to genuinely believe they are part of the wedding, with many also believing they become 'friends' with their Brides and Grooms.
    In essence, you're right Chris. As with so many things, it's all a matter of degree.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    It's Marc

I've just checked, and the maximum image dimensions for image attachments (bmp / gif / jpg / png) is 800 x 600, and maximum file size is about 1Mb. As far as I know that's what it's always been set at, but perhaps the checking didn't work before and now it does?

You'd need to ask an Admin (not me) to change these settings if you think they're a little low. Limits can be set as dimension limits and / or file size, it doesn't have to be both.
    OK thanks Marc
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I think that is because a lot of DJ's seem to genuinely believe they are part of the wedding, with many also believing they become 'friends' with their Brides and Grooms.
    I wear trousers, black shirt and a purple sparkly tie - if I was cutting around in a suit or waist coat - I wouldn't look like one of the guests and you don't want that.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 30-08-2017 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Removed adult content

Just a personal thing, but I dress as if I were a guest, so as not to stand out.

So for parties generally shirt, trousers and shoes.

Weddings and Xmas parties lounge suit with open necked shirt.

Black tie affairs, dress suit and bow tie.

I once forgot a belt, had to make do with a tie and wearing my suit jacket all night!

Photobooths seem to have the most issues in my opinion. I've seen 2 that have failed to work correctly and not had backup so have either taken photos manually or not printed photos.

With my LED dancefloor for ages I was concerned about not having a back up controller/ power supply but I was a bit reluctant to pay £1200 for a spare! Luckily earlier this year they released a basic controller for £500 so I sleep much better now!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I once forgot a belt, had to make do with a tie and wearing my suit jacket all night!

Photobooths seem to have the most issues in my opinion.
    With my LED dancefloor for ages I was concerned about not having a back up controller/ power supply but I was a bit reluctant to pay £1200 for a spare! Luckily earlier this year they released a basic controller for £500 so I sleep much better now!
    Gaffer tape belt then?

Its amazing how many key Photo Booth suppliers only have one printer (I have asked them). Worse still one set of paper and spare ink. You should hope they have a spare camera and also lights etc too. As you have said the printers are very expensive, but if this was my business, I would definitely have 2 of them. Having said that I have a Photo Booth and only have a couple of speed lights to replace my d-lite strobe. Need to look at getting another one if its booked more often.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Gaffer tape belt then?

Its amazing how many key Photo Booth suppliers only have one printer (I have asked them). Worse still one set of paper and spare ink. You should hope they have a spare camera and also lights etc too. As you have said the printers are very expensive, but if this was my business, I would definitely have 2 of them. Having said that I have a Photo Booth and only have a couple of speed lights to replace my d-lite strobe. Need to look at getting another one if its booked more often.
    I'll have you know I've joined the magtape crew and therefore wouldn't dare have such an inferior emergancy belt!

No idea why as a photo booth supplier you wouldn't go out with at least one spare roll of paper and ink. What's just as bad as not having a backup is not having a clue how to problem solve! A lot of the time there is a workaround but some people I've come across just freeze up and cannot think straight when something doesn't go as planned.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I'll have you know I've joined the magtape crew and therefore wouldn't dare have such an inferior emergancy belt!

No idea why as a photo booth supplier you wouldn't go out with at least one spare roll of paper and ink. What's just as bad as not having a backup is not having a clue how to problem solve! A lot of the time there is a workaround but some people I've come across just freeze up and cannot think straight when something doesn't go as planned.
    I'd imagine it's the same as the DJs who go out with no backup of their playout system or speakers - cheapness, laziness, not giving a about their clients or a combination of all three.

As I mentioned in my (rather long) latest 'Good Gig / Bad Gig' review, I had an issue at the weekend with one of Mackie's for the first time since I bought them 7 or so years ago. It was on Friday night at a wedding right at the beginning when I was playing background music (I'd just started actually).
    Whether it's travelling near on 200 miles down to Hampshire for a function or 5 minutes up the road, I ALWAYS take back up. It is a pain in the backside sometimes when you're loading the van up with extra equipment and 99.9% of the time it isn't needed but it's that 0.1% chance of something going wrong that worries me and makes it worthwhile doing.

I drove back home after the wedding and had around 2 hours kip before searching the web for local repair companies and spent Saturday looking for somewhere that could fix the speaker because I have another journey down to Hampshire this weekend for another wedding, again for friends.

On Friday, the DB Technologies came in handy. Access to the room was simple so it was a case of nipping outside, grabbing a speaker and swapping it over. Yes, they were mis-matched but that didn't bother me at the time. The DB Tech's aren't as powerful as the Mackie's either but not by much and it did the job which is what back up is all about. I am not the calmest person and stress head could be my middle name but I was fine once I was up and running again. It took all of 5 minutes and the customer was none the wiser. I told them what had happened at the end of the night and they said "I didn't even notice!".

The Mackie has been looked at but won't be ready for this weekend so I took the day off yesterday and set up the system using the Crown XLS802 and JBL's. I ran it for 6 hours to make sure it was all ok as I haven't used it for a few years now. It appeared to be fine. I also tested the back up Warrior amp too which I have yet to use since I bought it 4 years ago and that was fine too. I did this because the back up DB Tech's will be used as the main speakers for the weekend and so I will need to take the JBL's and amps as back up for those. It goes to show that back up is worth its weight in gold because if I didn't have it, I'd have struggled and would be tearing my hair out, trying to get something else sorted.

If any new starter's are reading this thread, take note. Back up is one of the most important things in this business.
    Imagine yourself as a customer and you go to a festival or something. You pay a lot of money for the pleasure and something happens during the event with the sound and they have no back up. You'd be gutted! I bet the sound people at large events are very apprehensive and have back up ready in case. We should be no different.

I'm an advocate of using gear that's newish or recently purchased and therefore less likely to fail. I've even sold gear and replaced it with like for like, similar to people who upgrade their car every year or two. Also having it in warranty is handy and keeps the second hand value higher.