Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attire for Wedding DJs

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    the complaint started because the DJ did not turn up wearing a suit (as in turn up to carry the equipment up a flight of stairs and setup in a suit).
    A quick response including 'health and safety reasons' should quickly put an end to that. But of course, there are always some customers that won't like any answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Regardless as to the event, whenever I am setting up and taking down it's a purple branded polo shirt, a branded jacket for the colder days, jeans and safety shoes. I think that in those situations, I am essentially a techy and those guys building rigs at the NEC for that glitzy corporate event aren't doing so in a suit, so I don't see why I should either.
    I'm the same - 'work wear' for setting up and taking down. Safety shoes in particular, not only for the risk of dropping an item on my foot, but also to reduce the slip hazard whilst carrying in equipment. Any risk assessment and method statement would soon highlight that performance attire is not suitable for rigging a mobile disco.

Originally posted in wrong thread - whoops

Just a personal thing, but I dress as if I were a guest, so as not to stand out. I do tend to wear branded polo shirt to set up in.

So for parties generally shirt, trousers and shoes.

Weddings and Xmas parties lounge suit with open necked shirt.

Black tie affairs, dress suit and bow tie.

long flowing evening dress , high hee............................damm , wrong forum....

But as a rule , black shoes , black trousers , white/pale shirt , jacket ( either black or cream) during first dance ( if asked)

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I wear suit, shirt, tie if doing all-day weddings (which is most of my work) loosing the Jacket and Tie after the first dance.

Evening only is generally Shirt and Trousers - but often as relaxed as black jeans and a polo shirt.

Funnily enough I had a complaint a few weeks ago which really escalated - the complaint started because the DJ did not turn up wearing a suit (as in turn up to carry the equipment up a flight of stairs and setup in a suit). So much so, I received a phone call on the night before the disco had even started to complain about it - the DJ was wearing trousers and a polo shirt and changed afterwards.

This escalated beyond belief with the bride then picking up on anything she could to complain about - even though I have an enquiry from one of her bridesmaids for her own wedding lol.

Still have no intention of setting up in a suit though
    You mean your not going to refund her for her stupid and frivolous complaints?

I've changed my attitude probably because the general public are a lot more casual. Up until about 6-7 years ago, I always wore dinner suit for weddings, then suit and tie, then suit and shirt, then trousers and shirt and now I wear black jeans, shirt and shoes.

I think people only really notice if you are very smart or very scruffy.

Suit and shirt (no tie), but generally take off the suit jacket once I'm in the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    I've changed my attitude probably because the general public are a lot more casual. Up until about 6-7 years ago, I always wore dinner suit for weddings, then suit and tie, then suit and shirt, then trousers and shirt and now I wear black jeans, shirt and shoes.

I think people only really notice if you are very smart or very scruffy.
    Hello Darren, wondered when you'd pop up on this one.

Facetious answer: Your downward slide in the sartorial elegance department has been noted and lamented.

Serious answer: I think your last line sums it up exactly. The dress code is changing immensely, and anywhere in the area of smart casual is acceptable. One member on here insists on his DJs wearing a branded shirt, to identify theDJ as such. Works just fine for him. ( And me. Got a free shirt out of the deal )
    However, as you might expect from an Old Git like me, I still feel wrong at a wedding unless I start the day/Night in a suit and tie. Guests and other DJs may not, but I do.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    One member on here insists on his DJs wearing a branded shirt, to identify theDJ as such. Works just fine for him. ( And me. Got a free shirt out of the deal )
    That is the route I am going down from next year too
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Likewise. I have branded black polo shirts for loading in and setting up andthen change to a plain coloured (white or pale colour as the mood takes me) and black or dark navy trousers for the rest of the night. The nature of my work is wedding evening only and I like to think that the formalness of the daytime is over and the evening it time to party. Guests by then are much more relaxed and I feel my attire complements that. I've never had any adverse comments and when you see some of the get ups that photographers, sweet cart, photobooth and other ancilliary beings turn up wearing, its no great surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I mentioned that I had a £200.00 pair of loafers on, a £150.00 pair of jeans and a £110.00 shirt yet that still
    Who knows, but one of my biggest hang ups is being misjudged, I hate it when someone thinks something of me that is just not true, especially when its something not very nice. i just love life and all the experiences that come with the journey.

i dont tend to care if someone thinks I am too posh or too common for anything really and don't try too hard to fit in either. In fact standing out has many advantages at times, especially when you combine it with a bit of mystique. Thanks to MCing weddings as you have to get on with everyone so come up across all sorts, which has its benefits.

Dress is a very important thing, but judgment based on clothes and body stuff (I don't get the point of tattoos (especially if everyone has them), sorry ) is also very subjective and based on the individual, their upbringing and past experiences with similar people who may dress, talk or behave like that, even down to the slightest micro expression on a subconscious level. It may have been something your guests did and not you at all? Being snooty if the guest is being well behaved and more importantly paying his wages is out of order. Depending on the person I think I may have also got a bit annoyed and may have had a quiet word with the manager at the end rather than mentioning how much your clothes cost.

5 star hotels attract very well trained employees whom regard their job as a profession rather than most the other hotels (in my area at least) whom just work there to earn a bit of money. They have engrained them selves in that environment from a teenager, so can be very set in their ways. Also the venue may have a dress and behaviour policy on this that may also be very dated to come in line with the older or more 'refined' guests. I don't want to target anything in particular, but some nations are worse than others with this.

In terms of dress, I used to know some property developer 'rich' people in Southampton (plus ran a wine bar frequented by footballers) and they always had all the most expensive designer stuff on. They did not have (in my opinion) much class between them despite being very colourful characters. They did however have a lot of cash to spend and did not cause much trouble. I doubt anyone would judge someone just on a tattoo (although its depends on the tattoo and what it says). It is however very noticeable at weddings when someone is trying to be someone they are not. It would be the same for a toff down the local pub, trying to painfully fit with his builders after they have finished extending his 7 bedroom house down the road.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/