Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attire for Wedding DJs

Default Attire for Wedding DJs

Rather than pull the other post off thread (which itself came off the back of another thread that had gone off topic!), it seems sensible to create a new thread surrounding attire for wedding DJs.

I appreciate there will be differences between those who do evening only and those who are all day DJs (and hosts/MCs)

It's an area I've spent time considering, and to a degree struggling with.

I've always been of the opinion that I'm a performer, and not a guest, and should stand out as such. Equally, I don't want to look like one of the waiting staff/venue staff.

The whole "black tie" look has never been my thing, it just doesn't suit me. And I'm a firm believer that you've got to be comfortable in what you're wearing, otherwise it'll affect your performance. For the last 12 months, I've been wearing a dark grey suit with either a silvery shirt or white shirt (but a very nice one with trim), and with cuff-links.

I don't feel comfortable with a tie, and my guests have chosen me to host as they don't want a formal "toastmaster".

For the evening I tend to lose the jacket and drop to shirt and trousers - and when I'm doing evening only, then it's shirt and trousers.

I have purchased a "black sparkly" jacket for corporate events. It's a bit too much for weddings, but I think will work well at Christmas Parties.

This is one of those topics where I don't think there's a "right or wrong". It's all about what works for us personally. Each bride and groom has different tastes, so it's important that what we wear reflects our personality. After all, a band often turns up looking "funky" rather than smart, and I imagine David Guetta would also turn up to perform at a wedding looking like a celeb, and not in a smart suit!

So what do you wear (daytime / evening)...

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

I've always been of the opinion that I'm a performer, and not a guest, and should stand out as such.
    Spread the word Brother, spread the word I say. You are 100% absolutely correct. I long for the days when my wedding attire was a green velvet suit, frilled shirt, and bow tie. Classy.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Smart shirt and trousers with black shoes.

Jeans and smart polo for other events.
    Nathan.

Depends on where I'm working if I'm honest.

Mostly I roll like this

Name:  Hippy Me.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  79.0 KB

Most of the time it is trousers and a shirt. I want to feel comfortable when I am stood behind the set up.

As I’m usually covering the ceremony music as well so I’ll wear a suit and tie, then later, like most of the guests, I’ll lose the jacket and tie.

The tog at a recent wedding (actually my friends daughters, I was a guest during the day and DJ’d the party in the evening as a present for them) looked totally out of place in the church in his scruffy trainers, baggy trousers and a polo shirt - it was noticed and mentioned by a few people.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Regardless as to the event, whenever I am setting up and taking down it's a purple branded polo shirt, a branded jacket for the colder days, jeans and safety shoes. I think that in those situations, I am essentially a techy and those guys building rigs at the NEC for that glitzy corporate event aren't doing so in a suit, so I don't see why I should either.

Beyond the setup, it depends on the event. Hosting an all day wedding or handing out some gongs at a corporate, it's a suit. Maybe with a tie, maybe without - depends on how I'm feeling that day. There have been occasions where I've gone for a more 'photographer' look with a waistcoat and rolled up shirt sleeves (especially if I'm all-daying at a barn venue). If I'm doing an evening function only, then I just stick to the stuff I'm wearing while I'm setting up and taking down (which, to be honest, is about 99% of my events).

I think that unless I'm front and centre, nobody gives a toss what I look like. The only thing I have been conscious of recently is that since I started building my sleeve, I wear my jacket until later on in the evening. In 2017, tattoos are as normal as a nose on somebody's face, but I worked a Freemasons event recently and they demanded on the night (not even in advance) that any member of staff who had tattoos were not to be allowed into the function room. I had my jacket on, so I was able to get away with it but I did feel disappointed that the venue just bent over and complied with this demand. Maybe it's my nature, but if I was the duty manager on the night and was given that demand, I'd reply with "Sure. Just so you know, we've also got some black people and homosexual folk on staff - do you want me to keep them out too?" Then, if my sarcasm went over their heads, I'd tell them no.

I was going to mention the whole tattoo thing in my previous reply to this thread. I have 2 full sleeves but keep them covered up whether the people booking me like it or not. Benny mentioned them being the norm' now and I'd agree and that's probably why I keep mine covered whilst working as I have never been or want to be part of the norm'.... I did the same with piercings.... Over the years I had 36 of them all over the place. As I got older I started taking a lot of them out and now just have 3 (you can't see one of them anyway....ooer!). Nobody bats an eyelid, unlike years ago when some of us were referred to as 'weirdos'....(I guess that means everybody is a 'weirdo' now does it?).

Most of the time, when I get to a venue to set up, it is usually an hour or so before the function starts. I'll wear the same clothes, it doesn't bother me unless it is stupidly hot. If that's the case I'll take another shirt with me. If I do set up in advance, take tomorrow for example.... I'll set up in whatever I want to wear. Most of the time it will be a jeans and fred perry. Most of the time it will be in an empty room. If the organiser of the function ever commented on my attire whilst I was setting up in an empty room, I'd have something to say about it.....and it wouldn't be nice.

Since I have been living up here (Norfolk), I have DJ'd around 10 times. I've been here a year and have been doing other things. The events I have DJ'd at have seen me wearing jeans and fred perry's with my tattoos on show. I've done 2 weddings where I covered up. On both occasions it was stupidly hot and on both occasions the Bride asked "Aren't you hot?"..... I told them I was covering up because I was big on first impressions and their reply was "You wear whatever you like" so I rolled my sleeves up and undid my top button and again, nobody batted an eye lid.

I would never EVER think of turning up at a wedding or corporate event or a high class booking or whatever, wearing jeans, trainers and a t-shirt. I have seen it before with other DJ's and yes, it doesn't look right BUT..... smart black jeans, smart jeans and a smart shirt is acceptable in my opinion. If someone has a problem with that then they can tell me and they'll soon get a surprising reply, I don't care who it is. Apologies if that comes across as attitude but I have seen people wearing suits and still look scruffy! I am not a fan of waistcoats and you wouldn't see me in one....ever.

Lastly, on the tattoo thing again.... Although too many, it is the norm' now.....there are still people out there that dislike them.
    Before I moved away, I went out for a night out with some friends to say goodbye and we went to a posh hotel during the afternoon. There were 8 of us and the other guys thought they'd 'dress up' for the day so were suited and booted. I had a pair of smart jeans on, my loafers and a Ben Sherman shirt. Again, it was a hot afternoon so I rolled my sleeves up. I was stood at the bar with my arms on the bar, waiting to be served and the snotty nosed little twerp behind the bar gave me one of the dirtiest looks. Me being me and not in work mode (where I remain polite wherever possible), I asked him what his problem was.... He didn't say anything but I guess he thought I looked out of place or something because the majority were all wearing suits etc....
    I bought it up when we returned to our table and I mentioned that I had a £200.00 pair of loafers on, a £150.00 pair of jeans and a £110.00 shirt yet that still wasn't good enough? I may as well have walked in there in jogging bottoms and a vest and I'd have gotten the same reaction...... Thing is, I don't own either!! Never have, never will...

This is my best DJ attire.

Name:  1013445_719312684780692_1134668649_n.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  42.7 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I wear suit, shirt, tie if doing all-day weddings (which is most of my work) loosing the Jacket and Tie after the first dance.

Evening only is generally Shirt and Trousers - but often as relaxed as black jeans and a polo shirt.

Funnily enough I had a complaint a few weeks ago which really escalated - the complaint started because the DJ did not turn up wearing a suit (as in turn up to carry the equipment up a flight of stairs and setup in a suit). So much so, I received a phone call on the night before the disco had even started to complain about it - the DJ was wearing trousers and a polo shirt and changed afterwards.

This escalated beyond belief with the bride then picking up on anything she could to complain about - even though I have an enquiry from one of her bridesmaids for her own wedding lol.

Still have no intention of setting up in a suit though
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk