Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attire for Wedding DJs

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    In terms of dress, I used to know some property developer 'rich' people in Southampton (plus ran a wine bar frequented by footballers) and they always had all the most expensive designer stuff on.
    My experience has shown that the mega rich don't look rich - in fact, they're the ones most likely to turn up in a pair of jeans and t-shirt.

It's the 'wealthy' (not millionaires) who always try and 'look' rich, and will pull out the suits and designer shoes.

I've met many multi millionaire and wealthy people over the past 5 years and have lots of stories!! But there's definitely a difference between the very rich and the wealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    My experience has shown that the mega rich don't look rich - in fact, they're the ones most likely to turn up in a pair of jeans and t-shirt.

It's the 'wealthy' (not millionaires) who always try and 'look' rich, and will pull out the suits and designer shoes.

I've met many multi millionaire and wealthy people over the past 5 years and have lots of stories!! But there's definitely a difference between the very rich and the wealthy.
    The whole tech industry is like that. Zuckerberg, Jobs etc. Nothing to prove to anyone or big themselves up for an ego.
    Nathan.

After setting up on Saturday in a Logo'd T shirt. i had a few hours spare an hour away from home so i sat in a pub updating my website for a bit,

anyway, walked back to the venue (an amazing Treehouse in Northumberland) and got changed into the 3 piece suit while the guests ate.

Sat talking to the photobooth guys on the decking and the waiters brought 2 beautiful fillet steaks out to them both.

i sat thinking well maybe they will bring one out for me in a second... oh here he comes, holding 2 pints of coke for them too.
    i ask them if they paid for them or if the bride and groom had, nope.

collar the waiter much later and jokingly ask him about it

he says "were you sitting outside with them before"
    i say "Yes"
    he says "oh sorry i thought you were a guest"

maybe ill wear jeans and a vest to the next one...
    Last edited by Steven; 13-09-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    After setting up on Saturday in a Logo'd T shirt. i had a few hours spare an hour away from home so i sat in a pub updating my website for a bit,

anyway, walked back to the venue (an amazing Treehouse in Northumberland) and got changed into the 3 piece suit while the guests ate.

Sat talking to the photobooth guys on the decking and the waiters brought 2 beautiful fillet steaks out to them both.

i sat thinking well maybe they will bring one out for me in a second... oh here he comes, holding 2 pints of coke for them too.
    i ask them if they paid for them or if the bride and groom had, nope.

collar the waiter much later and jokingly ask him about it

he says "were you sitting outside with them before"
    i say "Yes"
    he says "oh sorry i thought you were a guest"

maybe ill wear jeans and a vest to the next one...
    Aye, but one of the photobooth guys has been taught well about getting fed at venues, learnt from the Master
    Although when I was there, I only got a chicken dinner (albeit a 3 course meal) but no fillet steaks on offer
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

OK - not a "wedding DJ" last night but...

I was doing a 50th birthday in a very posh wedding venue (no lie...the party must have cost in excess of £10k...with at least £3k spent on the venue hire itself not including the food). I stood outside with a cigar talking to a highly respected local pathologist (yes...a guy that knows about death was smoking and drinking...heavily).

I turned up as I normally would for a party that isn't a wedding: black, open necked logo'd shirt, smart black trousers and black boots.
    What I hadn't been told is that it was a black-tie event...EEK!

For these things, I'd normally go the whole hog. It's a bit late once I've arrived though

Luckily, I have a selection of C&A ties (you have to be a certain age to remember those so that excludes Benny and Toby ) in the van, and hastily put one on (as much as I hate ties).

I spoke to the client and mentioned that I felt "under-dressed" for the occasion.

Was she worried? Was she hell!

As far as she was concerned I was there to do a job and if that meant wearing a "uniform" (her words) then so-be-it. On the night I was easily identifiable as NOT being a guest and people knew that I was the DJ. It really didn't affect the party!

To be fair, the venue staff were in black polo shirts, as is the case in most of the high-end venues I work in.

Did my attire affect the quality of the party? Absolutely not.

I'm starting to think that as DJs we're well and truly over thinking this whole dress-code malarky. Whilst I'll always ask a client if there's a dress code I need to adhere to (and I'm normally happy to oblige), I really don't think they care too much so long as we're doing the job we've been hired to do without any fuss and don't look like we spend our nights sleeping on the streets.

As Mr Zimmerman said all those years ago- "The times they are a changing ".

Wayne, there was a time when much of my attire would come from C&A. There is a lot in your post I don't disagree with. Doesn't mean I embrace it gleefully though.

More later perhaps.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    As Mr Zimmerman said all those years ago- "The times they are a changing ".

Wayne, there was a time when much of my attire would come from C&A. There is a lot in your post I don't disagree with. Doesn't mean I embrace it gleefully though.

More later perhaps.
    Are we related? I'm an "honorary" Yorkshireman (I don't like spending money . ).

Why aren't you sitting in a certain Golden Arches car-park with a coffee at this time of night?

I wear a suit / shirt and trousers (no tie). I personally enjoy looking smart and believe people respect (subconsciously) people wearing suits more so than those who do not.

When setting up its often jeans and polo, I reckon I should get branded dark polos as my current polo collection is quite colourful!

I agree with the rich vs wealthy. If you're clever enough to be rich you're also clever enough to realise you don't need to be a knob about it.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    As far as she was concerned I was there to do a job and if that meant wearing a "uniform" (her words) then so-be-it. On the night I was easily identifiable as NOT being a guest and people knew that I was the DJ. It really didn't affect the party!
    I've found in general there are different 'stages' for how you get treated:

Budget event - they show no interest in you, you're just supplier
    Mid range event - the client almost becomes friends with you, you feel part of the party and your input is valued
    High end event - they show not interest in you, you're just a supplier

Has anyone else found this?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    (no lie...the party must have cost in excess of £10k

Luckily, I have a selection of C&A ties
    Thats pocket change for some of the events I have don'e in peoples back gardens. I don't know how much they cost but it must be at least £50k for some of them (especially when good marques are involved). Unbelievable that they consider that much money justified for one nights celebrations, but its all relative really and you just get used to it.

I am only 10 years younger than you, i remember C&A very well.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Budget event - they show no interest in you, you're just supplier
    Mid range event - the client almost becomes friends with you, you feel part of the party and your input is valued
    High end event - they show not interest in you, you're just a supplier
    Yes totally although this is a vast generalisation. The posher ones do give you the time of day, but expect you to be in the shadows and get on with the job at hand a lot of the time. Fine by me, but I prefer the middle range ones and attract 90% of this work (i.e. 4 star hotel, £10-20k weddings) as you have a much better relationship with the client and guests (great for the all day weddings).

I have done my fair share of cheaper events in social clubs and pubs in the past and quite enjoyed them a lot. Not sure I would feel the same these days, especially with deluded and rude people, but you can get them in all three categories really.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/