Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, I am officially Freaked Out

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Well, the chances of winning the lottery (jackpot) is something like 1 in 14 million.

There are apparently 1.8 million UK postcodes, so the chances of the above random postcode generator getting yours exactly is nearly 8 times more likely than winning the lottery. So getting mine to all but the last 2 letters suddenly doesn't seem so spectacular....still freaked me out, though!
    When did you last play the National Lottery??? The 1 in 14m (or 1 in 13,983,816 to be precise!) was the odds of matching all 6 six numbers when the lottery first started and there were only 49 numbers! They've added ten more numbers since then (1-59 now) and the odds of winning are now 1 in 45,057,474!

Compare this to the odds of being "at least hospitalised after being struck by lightning in the UK" which is only 1 in 883,000 which is still more than twice as likely as you randomly generating your own postcode!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

. If anyone's interested, lots of good postcode related code tips here:
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    When did you last play the National Lottery??? The 1 in 14m (or 1 in 13,983,816 to be precise!) was the odds of matching all 6 six numbers when the lottery first started and there were only 49 numbers! They've added ten more numbers since then (1-59 now) and the odds of winning are now 1 in 45,057,474!
    I do still do the lottery....but always do it online and always a lucky dip, so never noticed!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    What are you trying to say? That this stuff is boring?

You've got to admit it Marc (especially after 20 years in the game as in my case)....it IS boring! That's why we get paid so well to do it in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    You've got to admit it Marc (especially after 20 years in the game as in my case)....it IS boring! That's why we get paid so well to do it in the first place
    Fair point!

One man's boring is another man's fascinating/ compelling/meal ticket, so no I'm not saying it's boring.

Just that I think I've got some paint I need to watch drying.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Have you seen a "will to live" heading over your way?

Just that I think I've got some paint I need to watch drying.
    How interesting! Did you know, pivotal to its application, the drying mechanism of paint tells us much about its formulation.

The majority of paints dry through evaporation, a process that allows its pigmentation to be set onto a chosen surface purely by being exposed to the surrounding atmosphere. However, the drying process can vary and is often complicated and altered between different paint types.

Paints usually contain three key components: pigments, binders and additives. Pigments are dry, insoluble powders that by wave length-selective absorption (ie they only reflect certain wavelengths) change the colour of reflected or transmitted light, giving paint its colorization. They can be ascertained either naturally or produced synthetically.

The pigments of paint are given their paint structure by binders, synthetic or natural resins such as acrylics, polyesters or oils that impart adhesion and influence durability and flexibility. Crucially, though, binders can also play a role in how paint dries, curing it as well as supplying it with adhesion.

It is important to note that curing is a different process to drying – which, as mentioned before, is caused by evaporation of a solvent – with cure adhesion attained by polymerisation (molecules bonding together in a chemical reaction). Binders are arguably the key component of paint, as without them it would never stick to a surface long enough to dry.

Finally, paint additives help to conjoin the other components and aid application, structure and drying. Certain additives are often used as catalysts for polymerisation, while others are included to prevent the clumping of paint or in order to alter its viscosity.

Riveting stuff!