Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: External Hard Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    With the newer MacBooks, you can't physically change the internal HDD! (or the RAM either come to think of it).
    Their idea is that you are forced to do anything that needs storage in the Cloud (or attach an external HDD)
    Yes that and the fact they have removed all the sodding inputs have put me off buying one.
    I think the older macs are better as despite their larger size and weight can really hold their own when customised.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post
    I know there are laptops with 1tb internals but I do wonder about the quality of them plus what compromises have been made with the other components to fit the tb internal.
    You know that pretty much all hard drives are the the same physical dimensions, right? The HDD in your laptop is most likely a 2.5" unit (unless it's a newer Mac where the storage is soldered to the motherboard) and the external SSD's you bought are probably exactly the same...

The last few laptops I've bought have come with 160Gb or 250Gb HDD's and I've switched them out to 1TB hybrid drives which are dirt cheap (£60) and give the performance benefits of an SSD with the capacity and price of a drive with spinning platters. Hybrid drives never really took off because SSD's got cheap around the same time. Basically they have a 16Gb or 32Gb of solid state storage (SSD basically) coupled with a 1TB traditional drive and the drive basically caches the frequently used data on the SSD (so the operating system, program files, frequently used data, etc all come off the SSD and the remainder - usually music and video in my case - is read from the physical disk). Takes about 5mins to pysically swap the disk and about an hour to clone the original hard disk onto the new one and does fine as long as you're not using the machine to render video (or any other hugely disk intensive applications).

If anyone wants any 160Gb hard drives, I have a few spare...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    You know that pretty much all hard drives are the the same physical dimensions, right?
    Thats kind of along the lines of my thinking. I have several 'external drives' that i have taken apart and use a caddy for USB. They also slot nicely into the mac when using new machines etc. Works great as a back up drive if you need to replace an HDD. Not such an issue now I have gone SSD though, the EVO's are solid!

I must have got through 15 MacBooks now, probably more as I have been using them for 13 years now.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I prefer internal drive. Saves carting around extra drive and cable.
    Also no danger of drive cable getting pulled out half way through a track.

1tb internal on play out laptop , but only 500gb on backup , but that is plenty for me
    Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

MacBook with 512gb internal SSD and Windows laptop with the same.

Both carry the same DJ software and the same copy of iTunes through iTunes Match.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post
    I use 500gb external hds on both main playout and back up. Never really gone down the internal route as they just aren’t big enough. I know there are laptops with 1tb internals but I do wonder about the quality of them plus what compromises have been made with the other components to fit the tb internal.

I’ve just purchased 2 500gb external SSDs and am looking to swap everything over to them in the next couple of weeks. Expensive? Yes at £170 each but hopefully good for a few years yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    You know that pretty much all hard drives are the the same physical dimensions, right? The HDD in your laptop is most likely a 2.5" unit (unless it's a newer Mac where the storage is soldered to the motherboard) and the external SSD's you bought are probably exactly the same...

Julian
    Thats the first thing I thought of. Drives are the same dimensions regardless of their capacity (how much data they can hold).

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    I prefer internal drive. Saves carting around extra drive and cable.
    Also no danger of drive cable getting pulled out half way through a track.
    The other thing about external drives is they are more likely to take more knocks and physical punishment than internal drives because we treat our laptops with the utmost respect but people seem to think nothing of chucking external drives around.

I've noticed that 1Tb internal drives have been mentioned but this isn't a limit. The internal drive in my Asus is 1.5Tb which I split up in to 3 separate virtual drives. It works a treat and is quite fast. The whole laptop (Intel Core i3 processor with 4Gb RAM and the 1.5Tb drive) was a complete bargain at just over £500. I don't think I'll find a deal that good again! It's never wobbled running VDJ and, when I return to DJing, it will still be my star piece of kit!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I've just got a standard spinning disk 500gb internal on my main laptop. More than enough for just DJing.

I have a super quick SSD on my desktop but for DJing I'm not sure there is any massive advantage.

Always internal though, I don't want one more cable to go wrong or one more thing to set up.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Internal for me.

I don't want another cable (my controller, dmx and mouse use up the 3 USB ports I have) and I don't want a USB hub.

It's another thing that can be forgotten and another thing to go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    The whole laptop (Intel Core i3 processor with 4Gb RAM and the 1.5Tb drive) was a complete bargain at just over £500. I don't think I'll find a deal that good again!
    *cough* Asus i7 with 8Gb, dedicated Nvidia graphics, hybrid 1TB drive. £480.

Manufacturer recon on eBay. If you know a little bit about computers there aren't many reasons to buy new...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography