Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43

Thread: External Hard Drive

  1. #31
    MDD Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire
    Age
    34
    Posts
    613

    Default

    As we're on the topic of laptops, the one thing people overlook is the build quality.

    Most laptops these days can easily run DJ software - especially if not using video.

    What is more likely to break is the actual laptop, especially being moved around so much.

    Look for a genuine business machine, rather than a consumer one.

    As mentioned above, eBay has lost of manufactured units.

    I picked up a cheap Dell Latitude laptop off eBay earlier this year for £160. It's a Intel i5 processor with 8gb of ram. I just bought it as cheap laptop to have in the living room (am using it now to write this), but it's surprisingly powerful. It even runs the Adobe Creative Suite quite happily - I can even edit video on it quite happily, which is a good indicator of power. But more importantly, this thing is absolutely solid. Yes, it's chunkier and heavier than most laptops, but I know it won't break easily. So would be a good option for anyone wanting a DJ laptop.

  2. #32
    Senior Member yourdj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The New Forest
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Yes, it's chunkier and heavier than most laptops, but I know it won't break easily. So would be a good option for anyone wanting a DJ laptop.
    Everyone wants sim and small, but I am more than happy with my 2011 MacBook with solid perspex Spek cover on it. Give me that over an uber slim MacBook Air any day. Good that yours can run creative suite. Mine is a bit jittery on Lightroom and Raw files (only just started using it) but never misses a beat on Ilustrator, iMovie or garage band. I liked the fact I could buy a 2.8 ghz I7 and upgrade it from 8gb to (an unadvertised) 16gb ram. Stick in a decent SSD and you have a machine as powerful and arguably more reliable than almost anything portable on the Apple store shelfs today. I need to upgrade my iPad Mini now as its flagging a bit and the software is starting to get old as i can't update. See other post for my music issues.
    Last edited by yourdj; 08-10-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    http://www.yourdj.co.uk/ http://www.phatdiscos.co.uk/ http://newforestwedding.co.uk

  3. #33
    Senior Member ukpartydj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    You've lost me off, there. You would choose the Dell Inspiron even though your last one was very disappointing?

    The only issue I ever had, which made my mind up about never using Dell again, was Dell's customer service.
    It was a choice between 4, the Dell seemed the best suited, that was all. I was disappointed, but I personally would probably be unhappy with the other 3.

    Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Everyone wants sim and small, but I am more than happy with my 2011 MacBook with solid perspex Spek cover on it.
    I'm 100% with you on that, I don't get all this interest in thin lightweight designs with screens being incredibly crisp etc. I want a laptop that does things quickly!

    I have the same issue with mobile phones. Why isn't there big phone player making phones that are durable anymore? Everybody seems to care more about appearance than if it does the job well nowadays . I'm always hearing about people smashing their phones, I think every one of my friends has had a cracked screen in the last 2 years (I haven't because it's always in a case).

    Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    White LED Dance Floor - Premium Dorset Based Starlit Dance Floor
    Light up MR&MRS - Large 4ft LED MR&MRS Letters

  4. #34
    Senior Member DJ Tony McQue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    40
    Posts
    566

    Default

    With those costs of storage being so cheap these days, it make sense to have a laptop with a decent size hard drive and no need to go external (apart from a backup drive). Even SSD drives are dirt cheap these days.
    Atac Digital - DJ hire in Edinburgh and the Lothians
    http://atacdigital.co.uk/dj-hire/

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,820

    Default

    Talking about hard drives, I came across this video last week. Turns out hard drives with platters have vibration sensors in them and won't perform certain operations (mostly write operations from what I know) if they sense vibration - and that includes sound waves! I came across this because a bunch of researchers have managed to find the resonant frequencies for some of the common hard drives (mostly around 130hz) and have successfully crippled them for minutes at a time using just sound!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

    So.... if hard disk performance is important and you have a habit of producing ground shaking bass, turns out you should buy an SSD. Otherwise you might find yourself waiting for your disk quite a lot.

    Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's, Quizes and more

  6. #36
    Senior Member yourdj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The New Forest
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Talking about hard drives, I came across this video last week. Turns out hard drives with platters have vibration sensors in them and won't perform certain operations (mostly write operations from what I know) if they sense vibration - and that includes sound waves! I came across this because a bunch of researchers have managed to find the resonant frequencies for some of the common hard drives (mostly around 130hz) and have successfully crippled them for minutes at a time using just sound!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

    So.... if hard disk performance is important and you have a habit of producing ground shaking bass, turns out you should buy an SSD. Otherwise you might find yourself waiting for your disk quite a lot.

    Julian
    If this was a big problem, then I don't think club DJ's would be using hard drives very much as its pretty loud there. Interesting though, I wonder if Jet fighter engine test engineers used to use them?
    Last edited by yourdj; 16-10-2017 at 06:22 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    http://www.yourdj.co.uk/ http://www.phatdiscos.co.uk/ http://newforestwedding.co.uk

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    If this was a big problem, then I don't think club DJ's would be using hard drives very much as its pretty loud there. Interesting though, I wonder if Jet fighter engine test engineers used to use them?
    To be honest, I find all of the research at odds with personal experience. Might have to read up on it more...
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's, Quizes and more

  8. #38
    Senior Member ukpartydj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    I had a Toshiba laptop which would constantly "detect vibrations" I took it back after a couple of days.

    I think most decent laptop's have free fall sensors to move the needle from the platter when dropping but I'm not so sure all hdd have "vibration protection".

    Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    White LED Dance Floor - Premium Dorset Based Starlit Dance Floor
    Light up MR&MRS - Large 4ft LED MR&MRS Letters

  9. #39
    Senior Member yourdj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The New Forest
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I had a Toshiba laptop which would constantly "detect vibrations" I took it back after a couple of days.

    I think most decent laptop's have free fall sensors to move the needle from the platter when dropping but I'm not so sure all hdd have "vibration protection".
    Well we all remember the original CD players, especially in cars and before too long they stopped skipping, so I am sure the same technology was applied to HDD's when they became more mainstream/mega produced for the mass consumer market, especially for laptops.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    http://www.yourdj.co.uk/ http://www.phatdiscos.co.uk/ http://newforestwedding.co.uk

  10. #40
    MDD Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire
    Age
    34
    Posts
    613

    Default

    I would assume DJ software like Virtual DJ 'stores' the actively playing some in the RAM (solid state), rather than literally 'reading' it off the hard drive whilst it's playing?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •