Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Customer wants to pay by credit card.

For a one off, Paypal looks favourite, and take the hit. I've beeb looking to see if you can send money to a bank account from a credit card, but it's baffling. Even if they could, I think it gets treated as a cash withdrawal, so incurs higher fees.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I think it was something like this I looked at and signed up for.
    I wanted something that would integrate with WP properly.
    There are a few Stripe plugins for Wordpress. e.g. WP Simple Pay

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I've beeb looking to see if you can send money to a bank account from a credit card, but it's baffling. Even if they could, I think it gets treated as a cash withdrawal, so incurs higher fees.
    But if you take a credit card payment (see post #9), it's a purchase on their card (not cash), and it's in your bank in 7 days.

I have started using PayPal for all my payments now, but would never suggest the 'friends and family' bit.

Yeah, the fees are high, but for me it is the ease of use, incorporating with DJI means people can pay anytime, and it makes accounting a lot easier. My accountant also reccomended PayPal because he says the assistance you get is far superior to most merchant accounts etc, plus everyone has heard of PayPal so I think it is trusted more than other unknown names out there.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

For a one off, Paypal looks favourite, and take the hit. I've beeb looking to see if you can send money to a bank account from a credit card, but it's baffling. Even if they could, I think it gets treated as a cash withdrawal, so incurs higher fees.
    Any form of card (debit or credit card) requires "processing", and that's where the fees come in.
    Don't forget, that credit card companies take on extra liability, so charges are higher.

Yes, there's a small fee associated with credit/debit card transactions, but remember, a credit card payment means someone can pay you who doesn't have the funds available in their bank account. I'd much rather offer this and enable them to book me (and me take a small hit on fees) then them not be able to book me and go with someone who does offer credit card payments.

Don't forget we're only a matter of months away from "credit card fees" being charged to consumers being banned, and the publicity for this will increase, so best to not do that any more.

And for PayPal, it's against their terms of service to charge the end client the fees PayPal charge you.

Just be careful if you use paypal of a chargeback.
    If they decide they didnt like something they could get paypal to retrieve their payment.

I had trouble with some equipment I bought via paypal and I got my money back in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    Just be careful if you use paypal of a chargeback.
    If they decide they didnt like something they could get paypal to retrieve their payment.
    That can happen with any credit card payment
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    That can happen with any credit card payment
    Yeah, and PayPal resolution methods (apparently) are better than other merchant accounts, especially for businesses.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post

But if you take a credit card payment (see post #9), it's a purchase on their card (not cash), and it's in your bank in 7 days.
    Oops. I did a Toby. ( Didn't read everything. ) Thanks Marc, looks like I need to sign up to Stripe. I'll go and have a look.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Oops. I did a Toby. ( Didn't read everything. ) Thanks Marc, looks like I need to sign up to Stripe. I'll go and have a look.
    I thought as much! You have mail

I'm not sure I understand the point of removing the ability to charge the customer more for something that costs more. Maybe as it's an EU thing when brexit is sorted that rule will be no longer.

PayPal has a rule that says you cannot charge the customer fees already, which I've always thought is very odd.

Maybe I'll start charging a booking administration fee which is discounted when you pay BT.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD