Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Customer wants to pay by credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the point of removing the ability to charge the customer more for something that costs more. Maybe as it's an EU thing when brexit is sorted that rule will be no longer.

PayPal has a rule that says you cannot charge the customer fees already, which I've always thought is very odd.

Maybe I'll start charging a booking administration fee which is discounted when you pay BT.
    It'll still be UK law after Brexit.

All that'll happen now is everyone pays the surcharge (i.e. prices go up), so those who always pay cash / BT will lose out. And finally a reason to offer a "discount for cash" without the suspicious looks you get as if you're a criminal / Jimmy Carr...

In a flash, i have just remembered what i signed up to. Looked good and it a big company: https://www.worldpayzinc.com

Considering i gave them my bank account details I should have remembered that sooner.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    In a flash, i have just remembered what i signed up to. Looked good and it a big company: https://www.worldpayzinc.com
    I believe a certain DJ Store in Cumbria is on that system as well.

Considering i gave them my bank account details I should have remembered that sooner.
    Toby, you're priceless!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Hi Toby , thats almost the same as the paypal card reader , its very good and fast , probably made by the same manufacturer

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Oops. I did a Toby. ( Didn't read everything. )
    Toby, you're priceless!
    Pretty much the above. I have found a PayPal button easier and charge the fee.
    I spent my first year using Paypal and looked at my fees, quickly moved to bank transfer as thats free.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    Hi Toby , thats almost the same as the paypal card reader , its very good and fast , probably made by the same manufacturer

Daryll
    Like the bank reader machines the Natwest one works with barclays), its just managed like a different bank would do it.

Toby, you're priceless!

Toby, you're priceless!
    Pretty much the above. I have found a PayPal button easier and charge the fee.
    I spent my first year using Paypal and looked at my fees, quickly moved to bank transfer as thats free.

Name:  groundhog-day-bill-murray-phil.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  92.4 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 01-10-2017 at 03:34 PM.

OK Toby, well done. One nil to Toby.

Not only do I forget what I've done nowadays, but my PC is playing up on the internet.

I have used this in the past and got something else, which was better, but never used it and can't even remember its name?

https://selz.com

i think I would be tempted to use Paypal and charge them the commission fee (2-3% should cover it). You will find that they can suddenly come round and pay cash, send a cheque, go to a bank and do it, or spend about 30 seconds working out how to use online banking (which is the easiest thing I have ever come across).

If they actually have a PayPal account, then they can also send you money as a gift, but not sure on the legal implications (for a one off I don't see it as a massive issue). I have just done this for a set of microphones on Facebook, lets hope he send them LOL.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees
    It's against PayPal's Terms Of Use to pass vendor fees on to the buyer. If you get caught you will have your account suspended meaning you won't have access to any funds stored in your PP account for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Any form of card (debit or credit card) requires "processing", and that's where the fees come in.
    Don't forget, that credit card companies take on extra liability, so charges are higher.

Yes, there's a small fee associated with credit/debit card transactions, but remember, a credit card payment means someone can pay you who doesn't have the funds available in their bank account. I'd much rather offer this and enable them to book me (and me take a small hit on fees) then them not be able to book me and go with someone who does offer credit card payments.

Don't forget we're only a matter of months away from "credit card fees" being charged to consumers being banned, and the publicity for this will increase, so best to not do that any more.

And for PayPal, it's against their terms of service to charge the end client the fees PayPal charge you.
    CC surcharge fees are a slightly different concept but, in the interests of fairness to the consumer, I agree that they should be banned. Why should a client pay for you using a service which means you get paid easier? I've never understood that.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Yeah, and PayPal resolution methods (apparently) are better than other merchant accounts, especially for businesses.
    PayPal can be slow in resolving issues but, in the banking world, card payment services can be much slower. It's not unheard of for a credit card company to take 6 months to sort a payment dispute. PayPal have a usual turnaround time of under 28 days.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the point of removing the ability to charge the customer more for something that costs more. Maybe as it's an EU thing when brexit is sorted that rule will be no longer.

PayPal has a rule that says you cannot charge the customer fees already, which I've always thought is very odd.

Maybe I'll start charging a booking administration fee which is discounted when you pay BT.
    The point of removing the CC surcharge (I believe it's already unlawful, as per some card issuers, to make a surcharge for debit card transactions). The reason being is that the use of the card payment service is a chargeable benefit to businesses. It is deemed unfair to make this a "specific" charge to the consumer. At the end of the day, all business charges are passed on to the customer via product/service costing but they are incorporated in per unit / per service prices. Making a separate charge to the consumer for a business service is frowned upon and, in some cases, illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    It'll still be UK law after Brexit.

All that'll happen now is everyone pays the surcharge (i.e. prices go up), so those who always pay cash / BT will lose out. And finally a reason to offer a "discount for cash" without the suspicious looks you get as if you're a criminal / Jimmy Carr...
    Jimmy Carr! Love it!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Bearing in mind I've just looked at my Stripe login in page, and decided I understand nuclear physics way better, is there any way I can request payment
    in any form from a customer who I only have a mobile number for? Stop laughing at the back.

Helpful advice appreciated, thanks.

Hmmmm. It appears I can send a Paypal request to a mobile. Least worst option, if I get funds.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 07-08-2023 at 06:46 PM.