Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Destination Weddings

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Destination Weddings

So I took Mrs. Benny and The Spud to the wedding show at the NEC for three reasons: firstly, to catch up with some suppliers who I kew were exhibiting. Secondly, I was given the chance to exhibit myself but I wanted to see what the deal was and then consider it for the spring show and finally, because Mrs. B and I would like to get married in Gibraltar and are on the lookout for a planner who can offer a steer (actually, we want to get married in Majorca, but you have to marry in the UK first and then get a blessing in Majorca - kinda defeats the purpose).

We've got a good idea of what we want, and are flexible on a lot of things but we have a photographer that we want to use - a guy I have worked with loads and he is fantastic at what he does.

Every planner yesterday basically said what's the point in hiring them if I'm picking my own 'tog.

Is this an actual thing with planners - nobody will be flexible over one supplier?

And I'm not going to exhibit at the Spring show. Too much of a cluster muck. As a potential client, I hated it.

My wife's core business is in Wedding Stationery, but in her time she has also been able to supply various ecoutrements, including chair covers, table decorations and the like. She also has a portfolio of contacts of balloon suppliers, photographers, cake ladies and so on.

Several years ago, she took a diploma course in Wedding Planning but, unfortunately, the company she was dealing with went bust, so never actually got to finish it or get the certificate. However, she stuck to it and, to be honest, a lot of it is common sense.

She has also had problems at times where brides have been coerced into using certain suppliers based on no experience whatsoever. At least we have first hand experience of our own list of contacts and can wholehartedly recommend them to anyone that will listen.

On the subject of Gibraltar, we were there two years ago and witnessed a wedding taking place. The reception was held in the ballroom at the O'Callaghan Hotel, on the 8th floor. Not a massive room, but it seemed to be well managed and certainly my wife was impressed with the layout and decoration.

We also visited a wedding show yesterday, but at Pride Park in Derby for her to get the feel of one of the bigger shows. She is hoping to upscale next year and show at the Doncaster Racecourse Wedding Show.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Every planner yesterday basically said what's the point in hiring them if I'm picking my own 'tog.
    One answer - they wont receive their commission, because the photographer probably works exclusively for them. If they are just sales Goons, then they are paid to find people that want everything done for them, especially if its someone working directly with a hotel or holiday package company.

I toid with moving to the Canaries and contacted a number of planners about working as a DJ or getting involved in the wedding industry. I must have contacted all the key players and how many responses did I get - 0. I got the impression that these people are ex pats on to a good thing and they have their tight nit group of loyal suppliers and don't want to loose it so its not a very open industry as it is in the UK? They clearly had no interest whatsoever in even being civil enough to respond, let alone give me some advice.

I would not be interested in a planner personally if I wanted to be married abroad, I would rather get the best hotel I could afford, with a decent package and select my suppliers separately. Also if you find Spanish suppliers, i can bet the prices are 50% cheaper. Book it with a year in advance and go on two holidays to sort anything in person. Just avoid Ryan Air & Monarch.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo...c_Islands.html

I have had a look and there are some seriously good photographers in Majorca!!
    Last edited by yourdj; 02-10-2017 at 01:54 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I got the impression that these people are ex pats on to a good thing and they have their tight nit group of loyal suppliers and don't want to loose it so its not a very open industry as it is in the UK? They clearly had no interest whatsoever in even being civil enough to respond, let alone give me some advice.
    Don't get me started on expats. It's a joke. In the vast majority - but not all - cases, it's someone who's decided they want to do this sort of thing because they arrange their wedding in the UK. Just like the DIY enthusiast who suddenly becomes a builder when out in Spain. The country of full of expats like that. The British use them simply because they speak English, so feel they can trust them...

So someone like yourself Toby would show them up for who they really are, hence why they want to close ranks (and surround themselves with similar people to themselves). The wedding discos in Tenerife are mainly the true definition of SID.

Now of course, this doesn't apply to EVERY wedding, but sadly that has become the norm for a typical wedding. I've not looked at other destinations, but I did take a fleeting look at Tenerife myself.

Interestingly, it's not possible for someone in the UK to get married in Fuerteventura without being a resident, so no market for destination weddings there!

Benny, as for your dilemma, you need someone who's on the ground who can assist you, and equally, on the day, to make sure it all comes together. It's a shame if their idea of being a wedding planner is to simply round up their same few mates again...

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    The British use them simply because they speak English, so feel they can trust them...
    The wedding discos in Tenerife are mainly the true definition of SID.
    Yep. My dad has lived in a tiny little village on a Mountain in Spain for 20 years and i have of course visited them most years. Its amazing how the same people still don't speak a word of English and still use English trades people etc.

Funnily enough it was Tenneriffe I was looking at. i was looking at the possibility of living in the North and travelling in for work. I spent one day in the South and hated every minute of it. it was unfeasible really. I preferred the North GC more, but still need to have a look at the other green quieter islands.

Interestingly, it's not possible for someone in the UK to get married in Fuerteventura without being a resident, so no market for destination weddings there!
    I don't see why a holiday celebration with friends/family and a blessing is such an issue unless your catholic and want a religious ceremony? We got had a catholic mass in Poland (we had to jump through all sort of hoops just to get that), but our legal wedding was in the UK. We did not tell anyone and they thought that was our actual wedding.

Might have a look west of Teneriffe next holiday and explore the more rustic islands. We had no issue at all staying in the hill top villages of tenerife (the cabin crew call it 'ten hours of grief') and gran canaria. Nice not to see one English person from one week to the next. Totally unexpected.

it's someone who's decided they want to do this sort of thing because they arrange their wedding in the UK.
    Amazing how many people I have met in the UK who have literally just set up shop as they have arranged their own wedding. Several of them actually use that as a slogan. I actually one of those people coming round for a mini party tonight (wifes away) so will rib her about that LOL.
    Last edited by yourdj; 02-10-2017 at 05:05 PM.

I don't see why a holiday celebration with friends/family and a blessing is such an issue unless your catholic and want a religious ceremony? We got had a catholic mass in Poland (we had to jump through all sort of hoops just to get that), but our legal wedding was in the UK. We did not tell anyone and they thought that was our actual wedding.
    Awareness of celebrants and what they can do is surprisingly low - yet provide an amazingly bespoke and personalised service that makes a civil ceremony look a bit generic in comparison.

Might have a look west of Teneriffe next holiday and explore the more rustic islands.
    Try Fuerteventura.

Admittedly I've not yet tried Tenerife (am going in December), but am aware of its "lifestyle"

Lanzarote is OK, but Fuerteventura pips it for me in terms of being laid back and chilled.

The Brits go to the north of Fuerteventura to Correlejo - so naturally my wife and I head south! It's very popular with Germans, which means you can go the whole holiday and not hear any English people moaning/shouting etc.

Morro Jable is beautiful with a nice beach, and has a good selection of bars/restaurants and small shops, and Costa Calma isn't too bad either (but pretty much only has hotels and lacks restaurants/bars) - but has great beaches.

Very little development on the Island - definitely no tall buildings, and much more space. There's only just over 100,000 people living here from memory, on an Island that is larger than Gran Canaria and not much smaller than Tenerife! Although not sure of total numbers once the hotels are full - it probably triples the population!!

Try Fuerteventura. It's very popular with Germans / English people moaning/shouting etc.
    I don't have a problem with the north of Gran Canaria or Tenneriffe. Top be honest although its a bit hypocritical, i don't even want to see Germans, just local Spaniards really going about their business. We stayed in a hut in a hill in Teneriffe, in an Orchard, literally as far as you can get to the forests in the Orotava Valley. Very rustic, just a bunsen burner, shower and log burner.

I like travelling about and looking at vegetation/wildlife so any of the moonscape islands are out of the questions really. Gran Canaria is amazing! Literally every few hundred metres you get a different type of landscape/flora/fauna. I was gobsmacked. fortunately its not a part of the islands the 'moaning' brits ever see, hardly any cars on the roads. Too busy squabbling with the Germans over their sunbeds & cervesas down south.

Last edited by yourdj; 03-10-2017 at 01:04 PM.

I don't have a problem with the north of Gran Canaria or Tenneriffe. Top be honest although its a bit hypocritical, i don't even want to see Germans, just local Spaniards really going about their business. We stayed in a hut in a hill in Teneriffe, in an Orchard, literally as far as you can get to the forests in the Orotava Valley. Very rustic, just a bunsen burner, shower and log burner.

I like travelling about and looking at vegetation/wildlife so any of the moonscape islands are out of the questions really.
    In which case you'll love La Gomera

In which case you'll love La Gomera
    Tottaly agree , my youngest daughter lives in Tenneriffe south , I cant stand the place , may as well go to blackpool with a heat lamp , however the north is a very different place , wonderful.
    And on the same sort of subject , I am off to southern Spain on Thursday (Orgiva) , something to do with my eldest daughters wedding...lol , the official ceremony will be in Gibraltar , as they are non catholic or Spanish.
    Oh and Daddy (me) has done a mix of 70`s cheesy music for their wedding , knowing my Daughter , this will be a five day binge....

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Wedding planners = people who aren't talented enough to offer a service but can sell one. Needless people
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture