Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: find your family?

Default find your family?

Hi wasn't sure which section to put this in but hopefully not too far away!
    a client has asked me to host a warm up game at a golden wedding anniversary called "find your family" and I cant seem to find anything on it or how to play.
    any info would be most appreciated before I have to go back and ask the client (which I hate doing)
    thanks in advance
    hadyn

Quote Originally Posted by hadyn View Post
    any info would be most appreciated before I have to go back and ask the client (which I hate doing)
    thanks in advance
    hadyn
    Why the reluctance to ask the client? Effective questioning and listening are very important skills in any customer service environment.

Even if we said what we thought it was it could be wrong so you’ll have to check with them anyway.

I think I would ask them to explain it at a meeting, but if they asked in an email etc. I would like to do my own research and come back to them with some ideas they may not have thought about or potential pitfalls. I don't think anyone should be shot down for asking a viable question, It's good that people can use this resource to bounce ideas off each other and gain a better understanding of the industry. I remember asking on a well known Facebook group what phantom power with condensers was and I was immediately set upon. Just because i wrote for Promobile, i was supposed to know every damn thing about audio & lighting? I immediately left the group as i felt it was not a positive place to spend my time.

I have found a number of articles about find your family, but nothing conclusive. I personally would ask on here, friends and then go back to the client to illiterate further. My best guess is, that you have to describe someone through characteristics, hobbies etc. and each table has to guess who it is? As per the above, ask the client what they mean and then research it as its probably very common, but they are using the wrong term for it.

In terms of asking clients, I had a client this year wanting me to do a table quiz, interactive 'our survey says' quiz, cake cut, Mr & Mrs and then first dance. I had a look at the timings, guest numbers, venue logistics, worked out what they wanted (I did not really know about family fortunes) and then came back to them with a schedule that spread it out through the day better. In their head they thought the guests would all be WOW! (as thats when they have seen on Youtube), but on the day they had lost interest after the 2 quizzes as it went on for more than 30 mins. Luckily I had scheduled in an hours gap between that and the cake cut.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Default found it

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Why the reluctance to ask the client? Effective questioning and listening are very important skills in any customer service environment.

Even if we said what we thought it was it could be wrong so you’ll have to check with them anyway.
    I always like to do a bit of research myself first and not appear to the client that I am behind the times or not in the know because I am not aware of some game that the client has now told me that in her area of where she lives it is played all the time at social clubs etc.
    Anyway I have bitten the bullet now and gone back to her about the game and this is her reply

You ask 24 people to join a line and you, the Dj, whilst playing music, gives each person a card, face downwards. Once all the cards have been given out, you stop the music and people look at their card and then shout out their name to find the rest of their family. The last family to find all members is out. Take their cards away and start again (well and truly shuffling the cards first). The last family still in win prizes. I just hope this might start the evening off and I will leave the rest to you. My parents used to belong the North fleet football social club and they used to always have this game and it was very successful. I do hope this is ok with you.

so there you go, another game to add to the list of gap fillers etc

thank you for the advice (yourdj)

I've done something similar at kids parties with animals. You give all of the kids an animal card (or whisper an animal to them) and they have to find the rest of their species by making their animal's noise. Last group are out, or first group win, take your pick.

Works best with large groups of kids, and it's very noisy, and very funny to watch/listen to.

I've never come across the Family game as they've described it though.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by hadyn View Post
    I always like to do a bit of research myself first and not appear to the client that I am behind the times or not in the know because I am not aware of some game that the client has now told me
    Good for you sir.

After all a good relationship between a client and supplier is key and its good to do some research at time with obscure requests rather than showing ignorance to something that might be the norm to some (but not known to many)!! (See Peters good will towards me is paying off already - its infectious)

Personally - I would have to meet the client to give advice one this one as I would possibly recommend a different person to do the job as my skill set may not be able to cater for the request?? Can you tell me;; are the expletives in her actual message? (I would avoid messages/email that like the plague, but thats just me)

Perhaps she just wants the best event and is showing her fear and wants you to take control of that? As a performer that can take control;
    A lot of DJ's forget that thats their main talent as 95% of pedestrians can't do it!* I have heard 1,000's of crap speeches or announcements now.

*I would charge more for MR&MRS, and events that require preparation and precise excision as it takes time to prepare and professional skills to execute in a professional manner.
    Last edited by yourdj; 03-10-2017 at 10:51 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/