Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New member hello and help

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    My advice is to get a tame sparky involved. While it's true that once you know how they're wired, it's fairly simple, it's also true that all the cables are carrying a full 240v, and that kills.

If you don't know what you're dealing with, these are dangerous things. ( Says the man who for years had seven boxes connected with " widowmakers".)
    Sound advice from that man. Not being cheeky, but it sounds like you don't have much knowledge on electrical items, so I would advise getting an electrician to check the items over. It won't cost you the earth (no pun intended).
    Sometimes the problem with these type of lights is the units are quite often fine, but the leads can be at fault - or even repaired incorrectly previously.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Plug 'em in, lick yer finger and touch a metal bit. If the cartoons of my youth are to be believed, instant - and fabulous - new hairstyle.

Then do as the man with the tash says and get a spark to look at them. By the sounds of it though, it'll probably end up being something that you'll leave on the wave behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Plug 'em in, lick yer finger and touch a metal bit. If the cartoons of my youth are to be believed, instant - and fabulous - new hairstyle.

Then do as the man with the tash says and get a spark to look at them. By the sounds of it though, it'll probably end up being something that you'll leave on the wave behind.
    Benny - I couldn't agree more! (although not with the licking of fingers and touching one of the 8 pins! )

I have a feeling these screens could turn into a labour of love and be very quickly sidelined (believe me as someone who runs a 16' setup...they're hard work and expensive to keep on the road!)

I think this is one to chat about over several bottles of Euro-fizz at the 'Plaza in a couple of weeks time

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I think this is one to chat about over several bottles of Euro-fizz at the 'Plaza in a couple of weeks time
    Are you coming onto me?

Just buy an equinox screen and 2 LED par cans! Who uses light panels in this day and age anyway.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Just buy an equinox screen and 2 LED par cans! Who uses light panels in this day and age anyway.
    <cough>
    Name:  RetroRoadshow.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  34.3 KB

It's the future, don't ya know

Actually, mine are going out more and more at the moment. People are asking for them and I'm not about to turn them away

Are you coming onto me?
    In your dreams Benny boy!

Wouldn't have minded a chat with one or two folk myself, but looking unlikely.

Are you coming onto me?
    You're not that special Benny. Two small sherries, and he'll chat up anyone.

It's the future, don't ya know

Actually, mine are going out more and more at the moment. People are asking for them and I'm not about to turn them away

I still miss mine.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Update found the problem. I simply changed the plug on the controller then everything worked perfect. Thanks again for all the advice

Quote Originally Posted by noeyfb View Post
    Update found the problem. I simply changed the plug on the controller then everything worked perfect. Thanks again for all the advice
    I'm surprised by the solution, and also the reason for trying it, but glad they're working. I must however point out that from the pictures we've seen, they are dangerous to use, because they will be connected by cables with exposed live pins, carrying a full 240 volts, the " widowmakers " I spoke of. Been there, done that, when we knew no better, and cared even less.

Times change, and safety and best practice are paramount. I suggest very strongly that these units are checked by a qualified person, and made safe by the ( fairly ) simple expedient of changing a few plugs to sockets.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk