Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New member hello and help

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Okaaaaaayyy.....Bulgin light screens, we're well and truly in my arena here (I run a 16 ft light-show and I've had the shocks to prove it).

They're simple enough to fault find on so long as you're fairly savvy with electric....and bear in mind these will be running at the full 240v. Bear in mind as well that they can also be a fire hazard if you get it wrong (I've got some of the partitions in my screens which were charcoal when I took them over).

Firstly, I doubt the PAT stickers are worth the paper they're written on. I know from the PAT testers I've used they'll happily test the controller, but won't test the boxes (the "official" test so I'm told for the Bulgins is to run your finger around it and see if you can touch the contacts....not recommended).

First question - how many boxes/physical lamps are you connecting in the chain and what wattage are the lamps inside? There's a limit on the total current draw you can output per channel on the controller, and obviously a total draw across all channels.

What happens if you only plug a single screen in? Does it blow then?
    As someone else has said, it could very easily be a loose wire or a short circuit as well. You'll normally find anything like that in the back of the lamp holders themselves (bear in mind they get shook around during transportation, they get hot in use....). Whenever I take on a "new" light screen the first thing I always do is re-wire it, mainly for my own piece of mind, but I've also found them with badly perished wire or even the wrong grade of wire inside in the past (most of these things are home made).

It could also be the condition of the Bulgin plugs/leads themselves (are they homemade or professionally made?)

Hopefully there's a few pointers for you, but if you need any more help, please shout.

Disclaimer - I'm not a qualified electrician, but have gained a lot of experience in the workings of these things. If you're in ANY doubt as to what you're doing....contact a qualified electrician rather than risking electrocution or fire!
    Hi mate 1st box 4 bulbs 1 connection everything cut out. Tried 4 different cables on 3 different boxes biggest box had 8 bulbs same thing happened. Bulbs are all 60watts. Only connecting 1 box at a time. The sound chaser lights up no problem until a light cable goes in then thats when everything shuts off.

Quote Originally Posted by noeyfb View Post
    Hi mate 1st box 4 bulbs 1 connection everything cut out. Tried 4 different cables on 3 different boxes biggest box had 8 bulbs same thing happened. Bulbs are all 60watts. Only connecting 1 box at a time. The sound chaser lights up no problem until a light cable goes in then thats when everything shuts off.
    When you say "cut out" - are we blowing fuses here or just nothing happening?
    Silly question, I assume you've connected everything and THEN switched on the controller, or are you turning on the controller first and then plugging the screen into it?

I'll be honest but at the moment it's sounding like an issue with the controller itself.

BTW - 60w are big lamps for light screens. I run mine at 35w and that's more than enough (although my smallest box contains 16 lamps )

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    When you say "cut out" - are we blowing fuses here or just nothing happening?
    Silly question, I assume you've connected everything and THEN switched on the controller, or are you turning on the controller first and then plugging the screen into it?

I'll be honest but at the moment it's sounding like an issue with the controller itself.

BTW - 60w are big lamps for light screens. I run mine at 35w and that's more than enough (although my smallest box contains 16 lamps )
    Sorry mate trips all the electricity has to be switched back on from the mains box.
    Tried both ways controller on then connecting and connect everything then switching on and same thing happens. Just a bit frustrating no matter what i do its the same result. When the controller is switched on itself it lights up numbers 1-4 will flash when you tap the top of it or should it not do that with nothing connected?

Sorry mate trips all the electricity has to be switched back on from the mains box.
    Tried both ways controller on then connecting and connect everything then switching on and same thing happens. Just a bit frustrating no matter what i do its the same result. When the controller is switched on itself it lights up numbers 1-4 will flash when you tap the top of it or should it not do that with nothing connected?
    Assuming you know enough about electrickery... If I were you the first thing I would do is check that the light screens are wired according to the 'standard' Bulgin pinout. The next thing I'd check is the integrity of the cabling between the controller box & the light screens.

Way back when I first started I was lent some light boxes which had, shall we say.. very interesting wiring where they'd decided to use connections that didn't conform to the accepted norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Assuming you know enough about electrickery... If I were you the first thing I would do is check that the light screens are wired according to the 'standard' Bulgin pinout. The next thing I'd check is the integrity of the cabling between the controller box & the light screens.

Way back when I first started I was lent some light boxes which had, shall we say.. very interesting wiring where they'd decided to use connections that didn't conform to the accepted norm.
    What is the proper way they should be wired? Do you have any advice on what to look for and how it should be setup? Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

You beat me to it! (Sorry, was watching the apprentice.....one day some of it will rub off and I'll be a millionaire )
    Yes, since it's tripping out the house supply there's definitely something a bit more serious. Believe it or not, just blowing a lamp can do that, but it seems a bit strange that all the boxes are doing it.

So, yes I'd say you need to check the wiring inside

What is the proper way they should be wired? Do you have any advice on what to look for and how it should be setup? Thanks and sorry for all the questions.
    Possibly not how you might think is the honest answer
    Being as the boxes look to be home made from the photos you posted, I wouldn't necessarily expect any particular ordering in the colours of the cables (i.e. Earth in yellow/green) or even for the same colour to go to the corresponding pin in the next lamp (I've seen some real shockers!)

This should help you

Name:  bulgindiagram.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  20.4 KB

In fact, it's probably better that you know what's coming from the ELV plug at the controller end, and then work it from there. The correct connections at the ELV end are:
    Name:  EVF Plug wiring_small.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  8.3 KB
    Last edited by Imagine; 04-10-2017 at 10:23 PM.

My advice is to get a tame sparky involved. While it's true that once you know how they're wired, it's fairly simple, it's also true that all the cables are carrying a full 240v, and that kills.

If you don't know what you're dealing with, these are dangerous things. ( Says the man who for years had seven boxes connected with " widowmakers".)

For what it's worth, my money is on an earth leakage issue, or even a dead short somewhere.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    If you don't know what you're dealing with, these are dangerous things. ( Says the man who for years had seven boxes connected with " widowmakers".)
    Mine are out for an 80s wedding in a posh venue in a couple of week's time (in fact, the night before BPM!)

I reckon total setup time from van to stage will be around 15 mins instead of the usual 45 for that one. And it'll be nice and warm where I'm standing for the end of October as well

Thanks everybody will give them a look in the morning. If all wired up properly would my next step be check all the wiring in the boxes?

Thanks everybody will give them a look in the morning. If all wired up properly would my next step be check all the wiring in the boxes?
    In a nutshell, yes. BUT PLEASE TAKE INTO ACCOUNT WHAT BOTH PETER AND MYSELF HAVE SAID ABOUT SAFETY!!!! (we've both been there, seen it and done it...as have many others on here).

Do you own a test meter? If not, get down to somewhere like Screwfix or Wilko's and get one, because that's going to be your best tool for the job. With the screens disconnected from the mains and the controller, check everything.

But as already mentioned....don't even attempt it if you're at all unsure of what you're doing. I really can't stress that enough. You're not dealing with modern fixtures with 5-12v running through them...this is pure 240v and it hurts at best and kills at worst.

A sparks might charge you a little bit for the pleasure, but at least it'll be safe for both you AND the public if you use them for an event. Although I rewire all of mine myself, my local house trained sparky always sense checks the finished result just for my sanity...and I've been wiring these things since they were in fashion!