Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Flexi cable

Default Flexi cable

Hi,

I'm after some flexi IEC power cables for my lights. I have no idea what the technical term for these are and not having much luck finding them.

Similar to what you have on DMX, XLR cables but for IEC power leads.

The one's that come with the fixtures is the thicker stuff that kinks and makes hiding cables a pain in the .
    Nathan.

The solution I eventually came up on was to make my own using HO7RNF rubber cable with rubber UK plugs and decent quality 'rewriteable' IEC F/M sockets, taking into account the time taken to make them, they're not a cheap option but IMO worth the effort. TIP: use 1.5mm cable (not 2.5mm) or the cable won't fit into the IEC sockets. If you don't mind the colour you may be able to find ready made 'Artic cable' which is flexible down to sub zero temps, but unfortunately they are bright blue. I did find cables on the Thomann website described as 'Rubber', unfortunately they were not rubber, and not that flexible, some may find then acceptable, I didn't and returned them. Some of the shorter Thomann cables (1.5M ish) are OK, but it's not the short cables that are problematic IMO. If anyone knows where ready made long rubber cables can be sourced for a reasonable price I would be interested to hear of them.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Thanks - I'll have a look. I think black is the answer so they don't stand out.

I'm after around 3m per cable to stop having extension leads going up the poles and standing out like a soar thumb.
    Nathan.

Try using re-usable zip ties (I get them from CPC Farnell) to tie the cables to the speaker / lighting poles. A quick flick and they come off easily. I find they last longer than velcro ones and less messy that gaffa taping them. Once removed, loosely coil the cable and secure it with..... a re-usable zip tie!

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Try using re-usable zip ties (I get them from CPC Farnell) to tie the cables to the speaker / lighting poles. A quick flick and they come off easily. I find they last longer than velcro ones and less messy that gaffa taping them. Once removed, loosely coil the cable and secure it with..... a re-usable zip tie!
    Got velcro ties, which ar doing the job but as the cables are too short for the stand the extension lead is mid pole each side and sticks out beyond control
    Nathan.

If you can't get HO7 flex where you are, try Screwfix - I made a lot of cables with Screwfix 'pond flex' (made by Time) in 1.5mm2 cable & they're still seeing me right hundreds of gigs down the line.

Oh & another vote for velcro cable ties. Mind these little fellas really come in handy too! https://www.djanddiscostuff.com/cons...le-clips-p3182

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    Got velcro ties, which ar doing the job but as the cables are too short for the stand the extension lead is mid pole each side and sticks out beyond control
    Ah, missed that bit, sorry. I get my cables etc. from the same place, here at CPC Farnell
    You might have to search through the list, but you'll probably find what you want in there. Quick delivery too, I usually get a delivery in 48 hours.