Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New member hello and help

Default New member hello and help

Hello everyone Just been giving a lot of 2nd hand dj stuff but having problems getting it working. Sound wise perfect but every time i connect the lights everything blows. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark

Hello Mark.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Welcome
    What lights are you using?

Generally speaking it sounds like you're overloading the circuit or you have a direct short, both of which are usually easy to trace and sort out. if you don't know what you're doing, try to find a friend who does, to take a look for you. Electricity can, and often is fatal, don't mess with it, it's really not worth the risk.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Thanks for the replys. Im usually ok with these sort of things. Apparently the lights got tested 2 weeks ago and were working fine. Ive tried all the bulbs and all are working fine. Ive attached a few pics of what im having issues with.
    As soon as the powers connected everything just blows. Its just a few box lights. Not the best of pics but thats what i have just now.

Name:  Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  238.4 KBName:  Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Views: 187
Size:  181.0 KBName:  Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Views: 193
Size:  437.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by noeyfb View Post
    Thanks for the replys. Im usually ok with these sort of things. Apparently the lights got tested 2 weeks ago and were working fine. Ive tried all the bulbs and all are working fine. Ive attached a few pics of what im having issues with.
    As soon as the powers connected everything just blows. Its just a few box lights. Not the best of pics but thats what i have just now.

Name:  Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  238.4 KBName:  Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Views: 187
Size:  181.0 KBName:  Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Views: 193
Size:  437.7 KB
    Probably a short circuit - wire come loose on one of the lighting things. I had that on an uplighter the other day, everything when pop and the venue fuse tripped. It has since been assigned to the 'don't work' pile of fixtures in my garage as its clearly not safe. More often than not i will open it up and something has 80% of the time come loose, so its an easy fix. If I can't see anything then i will sell it as faulty as safe working equipment is number one!

That looks like a seriously old lighting unit, consider getting something more modern as everything (pretty much) is LED nowadays unless a lot of power is needed.
    Last edited by yourdj; 04-10-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noeyfb View Post
    Apparently the lights got tested 2 weeks ago and were working fine.
    Tested how? Does anything have a PAT sticker on them?

I'm afraid that I suspect that since this was given to you, it's a scenario where you've received exactly what you've paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Tested how? Does anything have a PAT sticker on them?

I'm afraid that I suspect that since this was given to you, it's a scenario where you've received exactly what you've paid for.
    LOL - nothing. I have a number of items in my garage that were given to me and none of them work properly. I intend to sell all of it in November.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Thanks for the reply's im fortunate i never actually paid anything for them. They have pat tested stickers on them but they can easily be faked. Scrap pile for them or maybe get an electrician to have a look at them?

Okaaaaaayyy.....Bulgin light screens, we're well and truly in my arena here (I run a 16 ft light-show and I've had the shocks to prove it).

They're simple enough to fault find on so long as you're fairly savvy with electric....and bear in mind these will be running at the full 240v. Bear in mind as well that they can also be a fire hazard if you get it wrong (I've got some of the partitions in my screens which were charcoal when I took them over).

Firstly, I doubt the PAT stickers are worth the paper they're written on. I know from the PAT testers I've used they'll happily test the controller, but won't test the boxes (the "official" test so I'm told for the Bulgins is to run your finger around it and see if you can touch the contacts....not recommended).

First question - how many boxes/physical lamps are you connecting in the chain and what wattage are the lamps inside? There's a limit on the total current draw you can output per channel on the controller, and obviously a total draw across all channels.

What happens if you only plug a single screen in? Does it blow then?
    As someone else has said, it could very easily be a loose wire or a short circuit as well. You'll normally find anything like that in the back of the lamp holders themselves (bear in mind they get shook around during transportation, they get hot in use....). Whenever I take on a "new" light screen the first thing I always do is re-wire it, mainly for my own piece of mind, but I've also found them with badly perished wire or even the wrong grade of wire inside in the past (most of these things are home made).

It could also be the condition of the Bulgin plugs/leads themselves (are they homemade or professionally made?)

Hopefully there's a few pointers for you, but if you need any more help, please shout.

Disclaimer - I'm not a qualified electrician, but have gained a lot of experience in the workings of these things. If you're in ANY doubt as to what you're doing....contact a qualified electrician rather than risking electrocution or fire!