Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting yet another new website

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Getting yet another new website

I'm getting a new website built as we speak (and this time, not a Webnation jobby!), and since my last photoshoot was about four years and six stone ago, I figured I'd get a refresh on that too. I also decided that I wanted to do something a bit different to what you'd expect from a website for a wedding DJ. Below is a selection of the shoot, and I was hoping to get a consensus on which one you think would be best for an 'About Me' picture (this was all done for one picture for the about me page). I'm also feeling out past and current clients for their opinions but I thought I'd see what the DJs say!

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

Pic 8

Pic 9

Pic 10

Pic 11

Pic 12

Pic 13

Pic 14

Pic 15

12. Just shades 11.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I like 1 and 9 , but saying that, they all all good

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Be careful with the image you present through these photos. You may come across a little too "alternative" (unless that's the style you're going for). It's looking a little too urban in places (so unless you're a rap/hip hop dj you may be communicating the wrong message)

I think this one is best for your website

http://i67.tinypic.com/28r08qc.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Be careful with the image you present through these photos.
    I just want to quickly reply to this, because I don't want you to think that I'm ignoring you. I think that this is an interesting conversation to have, but I wanted to wait a bit first to get a consensus of people's favourite(s) before having it.

And Peter, as strange as it seems, you and I have the exact same preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I just want to quickly reply to this, because I don't want you to think that I'm ignoring you. I think that this is an interesting conversation to have, but I wanted to wait a bit first to get a consensus of people's favourite(s) before having it.
    On the grounds that you're a deep little soul, I refrained from saying what I thought. My disquiet about the piccies isn't a million miles away from Gavin's.
    I'm sure Benny has a cunning plan which will make us all wish we'd thought of it first.

And Peter, as strange as it seems, you and I have the exact same preference.
    I don't know whether to be flattered, or worried!!
    I am however intrigued as to what you have in mind.

I'm running a bit of a poll on Facebook where I have reduced the options to six photos, and I have also sent emails to past and present clients looking for feedback and there seems to be a lot of love for #2, closely followed by #12 and then #7 & #9 in joint third. So the photos where I am smiling are the favourites (which, to be fair, is an easily anticipated reaction) but I was surprised to see that the 'moody tattoo & bench' shot get a decent percentage of the votes. I'm going to keep polling for thoughts as the new site is still a few weeks away from being complete, giving me the luxury of time, but I don't anticipate the results changing.

I guess that since the voting on here seems to have completed (although if there are more thoughts out there, I would love to hear the feedback), now would be a good time to answer this:

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Be careful with the image you present through these photos. You may come across a little too "alternative" (unless that's the style you're going for). It's looking a little too urban in places (so unless you're a rap/hip hop dj you may be communicating the wrong message)
    Indeed I am aiming to come across as alternative - an alternative to what potential clients expect from their Wedding DJ. Like I mentioned earlier, I had to get a refresh of snaps done as it's 4 years since the last shoot and I wanted something a bit fresh for the Mobile DJ. In my research, I did a Google search for 'Mobile Disco Birmingham', 'Wedding DJ Birmingham' & 'Wedding Disco Birmingham', opened up every website on the first three pages of Google for each search term and I found two things:

- For an industry where you often hear the term "People buy people", there is what I would call an alarming number of websites where I couldn't tell you what the DJ looks like.
    - For the rest (with the exception of one website), all the other pics were either the DJ in a suit next to his setup, a big grin holding a mic or an 'in action' shot.

In no way am I looking down my nose at the concepts of those shots (the execution of said shots on the other hand...), but when I did a studio shoot four years ago, they were the sort of pictures that were floating around then. The question is are those shots the 'classics' that never go out of style? The floor is open for that one.

I've mentioned before that I get my inspirations from the levels above me, namely clubs and theatres. I looked at the websites of the more famous DJs to see what they are doing, and there was one photo on Armin Van Burren's website that inspired me to go with this style of shoot:

That is on the bottom of his homepage. I liked the industrial look, the sillyness and it was kinda cool and fun looking. That's why I selected Digbeth in Birmingham for my shoot - it's industrial, has amazing wall art, the fantastic colours of The Custard Factory and I dare say that every potential client from Birmingham - or any who know Digbeth - will see that the 'winning pic' (for want of a better phrase) is Digbeth. For us Brummies, you can spot it a mile away. Digbeth is one of the most vibrant and interesting parts of the city, and rife with culture.

I'm 32 years old. My target audience are couples who are getting married and, for the most part, they are aged between 25 and 35 years old. I cannot stress enough that I am not looking down my nose at those photo concepts on the DJ websites that I have come across, but I believe that the style of shots I have gone for, in that outfit and that backdrop, is more relevant to couples in their mid-20s to mid-30s in 2017 than a man standing next to some lights and speakers in a suit.

So that's my logic. I await the barrage of abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I'm sure Benny has a cunning plan which will make us all wish we'd thought of it first.

Indeed I am aiming to come across as alternative - an alternative to what potential clients expect from their Wedding DJ.

I'm 32 years old. My target audience are couples who are getting married and, for the most part, they are aged between 25 and 35 years old. I cannot stress enough that I am not looking down my nose at those photo concepts on the DJ websites that I have come across, but I believe that the style of shots I have gone for, in that outfit and that backdrop, is more relevant to couples in their mid-20s to mid-30s in 2017 than a man standing next to some lights and speakers in a suit.

So that's my logic. I await the barrage of abuse.
    You see, I told you he had a cunning plan. I wish I'd thought of it first.

I'm 62. Guess that makes my target audience between 60 and 70. Not a lot of weddings , but a few birthdays and anniversaries. Benny, do you think that tam tog of yours would rattle me off a few happy snaps of me in a nice cardie, holding a mug of Horlicks?

Right, I've taken the tablets. Be serious Peter, there's a good lad.

Abuse, Benny? No way. You're thinking outside the box, creating what may appear to be an USP, and targeting your main client base. Got to be a good idea. In theory. I applaud your inventiveness and boldness. Well done that man. It's not for me, but I'm sure you're regarding that as proof positive that what you're doing is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Benny, do you think that tam tog of yours would rattle me off a few happy snaps of me in a nice ....
    I must be tired....I started reading the start of that sentence and for some reason imagined it ending in the word "man-kini"
    I can't unthink that thought now.....I may need counselling

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I must be tired....I started reading the start of that sentence and for some reason imagined it ending in the word "man-kini"
    I can't unthink that thought now.....I may need counselling
    I'm minded to delete this post before that Scot with Photoshop sees it. He's a bit too handy with it for my liking. Since that would be over zealous censorship, I can't justify it.