Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting yet another new website

Looks amazing, best DJ website I have seen, with thanks to the consistent video and photo footage.
    God knows how they can misspell Corporate though.

What wordpress template package have they used?
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Am I alone in not being able to see the video?
    When I click on the link I get transferred to the first page displaying a happy couple dancing with 2 photographers pointing their cameras at them, when I scroll down the page a little I can see what I assume to be a video displaying in the 8 - 10mm gap between the initial photo and the 4 photos on the left of the 'Hello There' page. From what I can see the video seems to be playing full size behind the first photo. The computer I have is a HP EliteBook Pro 8560w running Windows 7 Pro operating system with Outlook Explorer. My computer is displaying all other website video content correctly as far as I'm aware, is there a compatibility issue with this website regarding windows operating systems?
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    What wordpress template package have they used?
    Not everything is Wordpress, Toby

Hard to tell what they've used here, but definitely not Wordpress, and something using CodeIgniter so my first guess (if using a CMS) would be Expression Engine.

The site is good, but videos aren't supposed to auto play on mobile devices, Android and iOS make it that way so that video isn't forced on users, eating mobile bandwidth. This has been worked around here, but I'm not sure how many people would appreciate a 60Mb payload on the homepage being forced upon them each visit...? It's considered bad practice.
    Last edited by Marc J; 08-11-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    The site is good, but videos aren't supposed to auto play on mobile devices, Android and iOS make it that way so that video isn't forced on users, eating mobile bandwidth. This has been worked around here, but I'm not sure how many people would appreciate a 60Mb payload on the homepage being forced upon them each visit...? It's considered bad practice.
    Completely agree.

Whilst I like the idea of video banners (I've toyed with them myself.....Gavin has something similar too), the vast majority of my visitors now are coming in via mobile devices so I can't really justify the cost and hassle of having a decent video made just to have it ignored.

Looks like a Mobirise web template (the software I use for my website) and, generally, it's good BUT as previous thread mentions.....I too cannot see or view the video

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Whilst I like the idea of video banners (I've toyed with them myself.....Gavin has something similar too), the vast majority of my visitors now are coming in via mobile devices so I can't really justify the cost and hassle of having a decent video made just to have it ignored.
    Yes, my video is used on my desktop site. On a mobile device, the user receives a static image instead.

One vital thing for video is that the video is streamed to the user, rather than downloaded. It looks like Benny's is self hosted (so downloaded), rather than streamed.

Definitely something to consider for those on a slower connection.

And I'd absolutely recommend it not being showed to those on a mobile device - it's a lot to download on a mobile connection, and many still have limited data allowances.

As for the website itself, I feel the home page is quite strong.

I'm not too keen on the headline font (the swirly one), maybe if it wasn't bold it might work better.

There's a lack of a call to action at the bottom of the home page - where do you want them to go next?

The about page is fine - but again lacks a call to action - where to go next?

Your Event in the menu is a bit strange - I'd have expected a drop down menu - not to click to then be presented the options.

I'm guessing the rest is currently work in progress, as there's no testimonials, the latest news is very messy, and venues and contact are to come.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    One vital thing for video is that the video is streamed to the user, rather than downloaded. It looks like Benny's is self hosted (so downloaded), rather than streamed.
    A self hosted video can be streamed, which is what happens in this case. It starts playing more or less immediately (if on a decent connection), before it's anywhere near completely downloaded - that's the definition of streaming. If you stay on the page you'll download it all (60Mb), which would probably be cached on your device for some time so at least revisiting the same page again in a short period wouldn't hit you with another 60Mb download...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    A self hosted video can be streamed, which is what happens in this case. It starts playing more or less immediately (if on a decent connection), before it's anywhere near completely downloaded - that's the definition of streaming. If you stay on the page you'll download it all (60Mb), which would probably be cached on your device for some time so at least revisiting the same page again in a short period wouldn't hit you with another 60Mb download...
    Mine is on Vimeo - it has adaptive streaming, which means it'll stream a quality of the video that's suitable to the connection. I'd recommend Benny looks in to such an option.

I would hope that a decent browser cache duration is set for that asset to stop it being redownloaded every few minutes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    It's very much still being developed, so the content and pictures will need updating but the overall feel and the layout of the site is pretty much there (although the site needs a bit of tweeking for mobile devices - you'll see why if you have a looksie).

So here it is.
    Make sure part of their tweaking is to remove any hover effects touchscreen devices, as there is no hover!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Like I said, the website is still being built, so the copy and pics are definitely going to change (including spelling!). My web guy has essentially nicked the content from the old site and it'll be up to me to update and edit when he's done his bit.

With regards to the video, it's one of the first questions I asked about when the idea was put forward to me. I was told initially that it would just be a picture but since then, Apple have apparently made an update that allows video to be streamed (so not a work around). My web guy is going to look at how far he can reduce the file size without effecting too much quality but if it does turn out to be still far too high on people's data, it will be just a pic. I guess, ideally, I'd like to see it be a pic for data but a video for when connected to Wi-fi, but I guess that's not doable? To be fair, I think the video doesn't look amazables on a mobile phone anyway, as the second scene doesn't show anything other than a plinth and a beam of light as it seems to narrow the field of view. On top of that, the responsive needs to be done as well as when you flip your phone sideways, it merges the logo and the Premier Event DJ line.

Thinking about it, when would someone look a DJs website on their mobile devices? I'd dare say that it will rarely be while you're on the move and be more likely in the comfort of your own home, where there will be Wi-Fi. Add to that the endless supply of free Wi-Fi spots, maybe it won't eat too much data overall? I watch a lot of videos on my phone, but I only ever use about 200mb a month as I'm always to connected to some sort of Wi-Fi. I'm not saying that I am an accurate representation of every human being on the planet but maybe, in 2017, it's not that much of an issue.

Indeed it's not WordPress that's been used. I believe the system they use is based off something that is (or, at least, was) existing, but it didn't suit their needs so they made a lot of changes to it. I think it's called Magma.